Duchess of Kingston by Delf - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Boxwood version

Running rigging - mizzen lifts and lower yard braces

Happy New Year everyone, and many thanks for the likes and kind comments.

The various lifts on the mizzen mast were mostly straightforward. The peak halliard required some in situ seizing of lines to the lateen yard, but nothing too difficult:

IMG_6154.thumb.jpg.b23d8a12cf13188f0ac202834b1b4e71.jpg

I used three strands of Mara #150 to make the ropes.

The lifts on the crossjack and mizzen topsail yards were somewhat lighter - I used Mara #70 and Mara #100 respectively:

IMG_6174_edited-1.thumb.jpg.96a24aa4d7790e0f0892b9a334f313cb.jpg

The photo above hides a real problem I had with the crossjack lifts. The falls are seized to the strops on a pair of 3mm blocks on a span clove hitched around the topmast, just above the cap. The falls then rove through the 3mm blocks on the yard arms, back through the first blocks then through the top to belay on the mizzen bitts. Unfortunately I'd fitted the blocks without the falls attached. The only solution was to use the finest needle I could find to thread the fall line through the strop on the end of each block, tie it off with a simple overhand knot, apply CA and trim. Needless to say the air was blue as I struggled to do this through a forest of existing lines. The result was not to a standard I would normally be happy with but in reality it's hard to spot the bodge:

IMG_6155_edited-1.thumb.jpg.c611a6da130e66e871822769feb92fd0.jpg

Btw, I didn't follow the kit plans and fit footropes on the crossjack. Sails weren't fitted to this yard, and as a result my understanding is that footropes were seldom fitted either.

Braces

I started at the bow and worked aft, although I have decided to leave the main brace off at this stage as I felt it would get in the way too much.

The standing ends of the spritsail yard braces are hitched to the forestay, just below the crowsfeet tackle. Rather than two lines, I used one long length of Mara #70 (roughly 2.5" rope) clove hitched round the stay, which is easier and neater than tying and trimming separate knots. The falls then run forward through the brace pendants then back aft to the foretop:

IMG_6172.thumb.jpg.856df927d3d7e8d2b2b81fcc65130e48.jpg

Each brace then reeves through the pair of blocks under its side of the top, then down to belay on the pinrail attached to the belfry. Threading the line through these blocks was easier than I had found on previous builds, although in this shot I'd managed to push the first block out of position:

IMG_6158_edited-1.thumb.jpg.33ffdb2f54cf384c298e450a742f34b1.jpg

I used the same technique with the foreyard brace, clove hitching a long line round the main stay. The braces then lead forward through the brace pendants on the yard, back to the 5mm blocks fitted to the main stay then down to belay on the main bitts:

IMG_6163.thumb.jpg.9bc52023964228a988075d90e1cf6073.jpg  

The crossjack is different in that it is braced forward, and the braces cross. The standing part of each brace is seized to the aftermost lower shroud on the main mast, at roughly the height of the crossjack. It then crosses to the brace pendant on the opposite side of the ship, and across again to reeve through a 3mm block seized lower down on the same shroud, then belays to a cleat on the deck.

NB Because the lines cross it's a good idea to stagger the seizings on the two shrouds to avoid the lines fouling. 

IMG_6165.thumb.jpg.8dc1d464108b79b897be3cafc763bf93.jpg

Not far to go now - I need to get my finger out and start making up some rope coils and finish the anchors.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Very nice work Derek! Great pictures too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

13 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Very nice work Derek! Great pictures too

11 hours ago, No Idea said:

That ship of your's is stunning!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I must confess I'm finding it hard to concentrate on the Duchess just now, with HMS Indefatigable on order from Vanguard and HMS Sphinx sitting on a shelf for the last year shouting "build me!". I'm looking forward to seeing her complete though.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

5 hours ago, DelF said:

HMS Indefatigable on order from Vanguard and HMS Sphinx 

So many models so little time. I suggest building both at the same time with all the parts intermingled, it would be a fun challenge.  Even better replace all the planking with Alaskan Yellow Cedar. 😁

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I suggest building both at the same time with all the parts intermingled, it would be a fun challenge.

Great idea Glenn!   HMS Sphindefatigable🙄

Cheers, Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Anchors

Not much time in the workshop recently. I've been working on the anchors for a while and eventually got round to finishing them.

Much of the work was the same as for Speedy, except this time the whole of each anchor is made from MDF. The shanks in particular needed a good session with a file to chamfer the edges, probably best shown in the close-up photos below. I used Admiralty ironwork black as a base then lightly brushed on some iron metal powder.

The stock came in two halves that clamped neatly round the shank. However as they were laser cut from a sheet they were only tapered in one dimension rather than two. To cut the second taper as neatly as possible I worked out the angle needed then cut a small wooden wedge the top edge of which sloped at said angle. With the wedge sitting in a vice on the Proxxon mill, the required angle was shaved off the anchor stock, one half at a time:

IMG_6050.thumb.jpg.02c3fb996d8e6911bba4d107f44df965.jpg

Double-sided tape was sufficient to hold the stock on the wedge. 

IMG_6210_edited-2.thumb.jpg.7d50a7b925aed8dffbf98f6c423f051b.jpg

The bands on the stocks were the usual shrink tubing, the puddening from dark line and the bolts are made from bristles stolen from a hair brush (Shhh!!!).

I made the anchor buoys using mostly the same method I employed for Speedy and other ships (link here), but this time I tried to make the end result neater. I made the wooden body of each buoy on the lathe as before, but instead of making eyes in the rope slings before fitting them to the buoy, this time I did all the fitting on the buoy. This enabled me to make each eye as tight as possible around the two rope bands circling the buoy. As before, I drilled two 0.9mm holes right through the buoy to accommodate the rope bands and put a touch of thin CA in each hole. Once the glue had set I started attaching the rope slings. I had to use a needle to get round the bands, and everything was so tight and awkward I ended up using light rope so I could see what I was doing:

IMG_6206.thumb.jpg.31ccb721065b0ed9afe014655109ae1b.jpg

Obviously I dyed it once I was happy with the end result.

Here's one of the buoys attached to an anchor ready for fitting to the model. Also shown are the two cat blocks. Here's how I made the blocks last time. The only difference this time was I discovered I had some 1/4" triple boxwood blocks I got years ago from Syren and never used. Rather than make my own as I did before I cheated by milling off one side of each triple block to create a double :rolleyes:

IMG_6215_edited-1.thumb.jpg.f0992c29c1d6990359ba975dbc435be1.jpg

Here's the starboard anchor rigged, then a closer shot showing the cat block:

IMG_6216_edited-1.thumb.jpg.9252b161154d067de478afd2a3803bf2.jpg 

IMG_6220_edited-1.thumb.jpg.a1297eecbe168e668c20127a8e93fd26.jpg

Apologies for the focus. 

The finish line is rapidly approaching. I'll update the log shortly to show progress on the remaining rigging tasks.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Just caught up with your build. Very helpful and beautifully done. Thanks.

Tony

6 hours ago, tkay11 said:

Very helpful and beautifully done

Thanks Tony - kind of you to say.

Briefly following on from my last post on the anchors, I've just spent another hour or so on the second buoy. I do like a challenge, and working out how best to make them was initially enjoyable, but having made them on my last three models the novelty is beginning to wear decidedly thin. I'd therefore like to make a heartfelt plea to @chris watton to add anchor buoys to his brilliant range of 3D printed accessories before I have to make any more of the little blighters :imNotWorthy:

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Anchors #2

Thanks again for the kind comments and likes.

Starting on the port anchor I realised I'd made a slight mistake on the starboard side. Where the buoy rope attaches to the shank I'd spaced the three seizings equally, whereas in full size practice they looked like this illustration from D'Arcy Lever's  The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor:

IMG_6226_edited-1.jpg.4d95d4f51a5f022a2c48d2b7c38ebe33.jpg

(I got this from Google Books so presumably there's no copyright issue). The two closely spaced seizings straddle the buoy rope knot, essentially a raised lump designed to help prevent the rope from slipping off the anchor. I couldn't resist looking up this knot in the Ashley Book of Knots to see if it would be practical to reproduce it at 1:64 scale. As always this fantastic volume never ceases to amaze - I have yet to come across a knot he doesn't cover, and usually with beautiful and often witty hand drawn illustrations. Here's how the knot is described:

"First put on a heavy seizing, and open the cable into its three component ropes as far as the seizing. Next lay one strand from each rope end. Stop all ends, and lay up the cable again with the two three-strand ropes that are left, having first beaten them well with a mallet. To do this, take two of the rope ends, twist them as hard as possible, and lay them up together. Then lay up the two with the remaining single rope end. Stop them, and beat them again to make them lay fair. Next, proceed to wall and double wall the three single strands where they were originally laid out. Draw the knot taut, and work the three strands to the end of the cable. Finally, put on a strong whipping, which in width should equal the diameter of the cable."

I lost the plot somewhere around beating the rope with a mallet, although I remain in awe of the knowledge and skills the old time sailors and riggers must have had. 

My go-to reference for rigging small ships (after James Lees) is The Fully Framed Model by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert. In Volume 4 David describes using a blob of acrylic to simulate the knot. Lacking a suitable colour I experimented with a blob of PVA. After clearing up the mess I decided to abandon further experimentation and skip this particular enhancement. Here's the anchor and buoy, sans knot, awaiting fitting:

IMG_6228_edited-1.thumb.jpg.58ce98e7c8c9c93ab0953faa1790f326.jpg 

Finally, just before fitting the anchor I took this shot of the starboard cathead to show the extra eye I had to fit for the standing end of the catblock rope:

IMG_6230_edited-1.thumb.jpg.a830bad98cca01bb56791b2ab2b95074.jpg

I'm assuming the block would have been snugged up tight to the cathead like this when not in use. With the anchor fitted, a few more rope coils and the stand made it'll be on to the finishing line.

Derek 

Cheers, Derek

My go to reference for rigging ship models is Derek😊

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Completing the rigging

Kind of you to say Glenn, although I would defer to some of the real experts on the forum (and I don't normally suffer from modesty!). Anyway, I'm hurrying this along a bit as I'm keen to clear the decks before setting off for the Antarctic next week.

The rest of the running rigging went smoothly for the most part and the process was almost identical to the description in my Speedy log. The only really tricky task I found was rigging the main topsail yard braces. These are set up with brace pendants on the yard and a pair of 3mm blocks on a long strop fitted round the mizzen mast, just above the crossjack. The space between the latter and the mizzen top is very tight so I'd fitted the blocks before I'd even stepped the mast. However I realised too late that the standing ends of the main topsail yard braces had to be seized to the strops between the blocks and the mizzen yard. Hopefully this is clear from this shot and the following close-up:

IMG_6178_edited-1.thumb.jpg.4163cb51262176d821ab021e1f572005.jpg

IMG_6177_edited-1.thumb.jpg.b24e0e6d910ff54bd7149b20827bf686.jpg

The only way I could find to do this was to twist the strop round so the blocks faced aft, i.e. away from the crowsfeet and other obstructions on the fore side of the mizzen mast. It was still tight, but I did eventually manage to a seize a brace just behind each of the two blocks then twist the whole affair back round to the other side of the mast after which it was comparatively simple to take the braces up through the brace pendants on the topsail yard, back through the blocks stropped to the mizzen, then through the top to belay on the mizzen bits.

One point where I departed slightly from the plans was in belaying the mizzen topsail braces. Unless I misinterpreted them, the plans show these reeving through blocks at the aft end of the lateen yard then running forward at quite a sharp angle to belay on the mizzen bitts. I chose to belay the braces on the quarterdeck rail near the transom, where the near-vertical line from the lateen yard seemed more natural. 

I've just got a bit of tidying and touching up to do, and a few more rope coils, but I'm not sure I'll get all that done before disappearing to the frozen wastes so here's a few shots of the almost complete model. I'll do some proper shots and a fuller write up when I get back, and also give some proper thought to her display.

IMG_6232_edited-1.thumb.jpg.36749c2ae0696a5441113f70d5751c0b.jpg

IMG_6237.thumb.jpg.8258ff6bef73d87abbee3f2b00906c45.jpg

IMG_6246_edited-1.thumb.jpg.f4b4a10a747acb584905ce27df7e5724.jpg

IMG_6243.thumb.jpg.4600f31bc951d96cca9aa37e73610898.jpg

IMG_6239.thumb.jpg.2911a0156b165486f76c55394ec54acf.jpg

HMS Sphinx is calling!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Outstanding work Derek. She is one to be very proud of!

After seeing this I may have to go back and add anchor buoys. Thanks!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Enjoy the Antarctic. I’ll be close by in Patagonia in a couple of weeks on my paid for in 2020 photo trip. 

The rigging and the model look fantastic. I’d venture to say you are a master of rigging. I had to get out my nautical dictionary to understand what you said🤣😂

Regards,

Glenn

15 hours ago, No Idea said:

Derek that is one outstanding ship that you have built there mate.  The attention to detail...

Thanks! To be honest most of the detail on this model is provided out of the box, with me just adding a few of my own enhancements such as the anchor buoys.

8 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Outstanding work Derek. She is one to be very proud of!

After seeing this I may have to go back and add anchor buoys.

I've had your log bookmarked since I started the Duchess and have referred to it frequently, so thank you Rusty! For me, anchor buoys are one of those little details, like crowsfeet, that add interest to a model. 

7 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I had to get out my nautical dictionary to understand what you said🤣😂

Cheers Glenn! At least you've got a nautical dictionary now. I remember when you used to refer to "strings and things" 😁

Enjoy Patagonia - I'll look forward to your photos.

I'm off to pack the sled and check the huskies.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Fantastic model, Derek, and a truly outstanding build log!

I hope you have red skies at night (sailor's delight!) and smooth seas on your Arctic adventure. I'd love to go there as well. I've walked among the penguins on a small island off the coast of Ushuaia but that's as far south as I've ever been. You might be inspired to build Shackleton's Endurance when you return! 

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

11 minutes ago, BobG said:

Fantastic model, Derek, and a truly outstanding build log!

I hope you have red skies in the mornings and smooth seas on your Arctic adventure. I'd love to go there as well. I've walked among the penguins on a small island off the coast of Ushuaia but that's as far south as I've ever been. You might be inspired to build Shackleton's Endurance when you return!

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. We're setting sail from Ushuaia, which is sometimes described as the world's southernmost city so I'll look out for your penguins. I've just finished a book about Shackleton my mother-in-law bought me for Christmas. I was familiar with the story but this one had all the original photographs from the expedition. What an incredible tale. I might give the Endurance  a miss though - too modern for me, with that newfangled steam engine!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

2 hours ago, DelF said:

We're setting sail from Ushuaia, which is sometimes described as the world's southernmost city so I'll look out for your penguins.

It's a beautiful city and, if you have any time to explore the area, there are some wonderful hikes in the mountains and along the coastline in the area. 

By the way, I edited my original post because I meant to "I wish you red skies at night, sailor's delight," not "red skies in the morning" which is sailor's "take warning!" I think my brain is showing it's age!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

The Last Lap

After 18 months of enjoyable modelling and with everything on the Duchess complete, barring the permanent stand, I'm marking her as finished.

As with my first Vanguard model, I must give huge thanks to @chris watton for designing and producing such a great kit, and to @James H for his inspirational prototype build log and manual. Thanks also to those early starters whose logs informed and encouraged me - Glenn @glennard2523, Rusty @Rustyj and David @desalgu. Apart from producing my own rope and a very few minor enhancements such as the anchor buoys and glazed windows, I built the Duchess more or less out of the box which I regard as a testament to the quality of the kit and the materials.

Here's some final photos:

DoK-04_edited-4.thumb.jpg.6dfe01f8155f17e5af969a5350eb4c04.jpg

DoK-22_edited-1.thumb.JPG.722f342678da667e149211885e55c793.JPG

DoK-06.thumb.JPG.e5f581f89f33849f1bb3b3ccf7dd9fd5.JPG

DoK-07_edited-1.thumb.JPG.3e11a85592483ada1b671a998b8948d0.JPG

DoK-16_edited-1.thumb.JPG.398673a48d7852c322df0d3aa630df43.JPG

DoK-08_edited-2.thumb.JPG.f5851352022df745cda97cba568259b5.JPG

DoK-09_edited-1.thumb.JPG.060316fe994f3970876b5f080255ef72.JPG

DoK-14_edited-1.thumb.JPG.f748923fefda75bf82f7a380f7006580.JPG

DoK-10_edited-1.thumb.JPG.dc526d6f05dc033176886262e0513b6d.JPG

DoK-11_edited-2.thumb.JPG.065fd8aa2a03156456c8487d690067c1.JPG

DoK-23_edited-1.thumb.JPG.e628943ee153e1df73332a9ead3b16ca.JPG

DoK-18_edited-1.thumb.JPG.a235284dc49449a0f96c915b331a6979.JPG

DoK-19_edited-1.thumb.JPG.eb1115f90cf209294d758dfa849cfd30.JPG

DoK-26_edited-1.thumb.JPG.9514fafaf8899be9ca1ccd3e217f5fa2.JPG

DoK-20_edited-1.thumb.JPG.889f7edbeacdb54d0728de0f731e15c7.JPG

On to HMS Sphinx!

Thanks to everyone for following along, and for all the likes and kind comments.

Derek

16 February 2023 

Cheers, Derek

Stunningly beautiful model Derek!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Another wonderful masterpiece for your museum collection. Very well done, the boxwood makes it even more special.

Now look up focus stacking and take your photography to the next level 🙂

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure it will be a great adventure.

Regards,

Glenn