Hannah by Glen McGuire – FINISHED - Amati – 1/300 - BOTTLE

Nicely done!  Looks really great!  Good tip on using a practice bottle.  Very smart!

Looks like you just fit in the main mast.  Mine was a touch tight but yours looks great.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

@Landlubber Mike Thanks, Mike!  Your comment about the main mast just made me realize I got VERY lucky with it not banging into the inside top of the bottle.  My original plan had the ship sitting lower in the water leaving plenty of room for the mast height.  However, when I had to go to plan B and glue the ship to a base on top of the water, I knew the ship would sit higher and the mast might be too tall when I raised it.  So I planned on snipping off a couple of mm from the top of the mast to make sure it fit.  Then I went on vacation.  When I got back and resumed work on the project, I got so excited about trying to get the ship back in the bottle, I completely forgot about snipping off the top of the mast!

Since it ended up fitting okay, I didn't even think about it till I read your comment just now.  So I just went back and looked at it.  And wow!  It BARELY fits!  It's hard to tell exactly when you are looking thru the glass, but I bet there's no more than a mm of clearance if that much.  I definitely dodged a bullet there!       

Home stretch on this project.  For the base, I'm using a 4" x 9" x 3/4" piece of oak.  I bevel cut the leading edge for the nameplate which is on order. 

My idea for the base was to incorporate some elements of model ship building into the presentation.  So I took some leftover planking timbers from the Mamoli Alabama build and laid them out like deck planks.  I carved a couple of small cradles for the bottle to rest on.  Then I made a couple of bollards for the end.  Finally, I made some belay pins/stands to rope the whole thing down.  

77.jpg

79.jpg

81.jpg

Done!  Here's the final product.  I started this effort on 17 July, so about 2 months from beginning to end.   Doing the Mamoli Alabama first, and all the lessons learned with that initial build, proved to be a big help with this one.  Probably not the same in reverse! 

This was a lot of fun.  I will likely try another.  Maybe a scratch build (scary thought)?   

Thank you for all the help, suggestions, and encouragement along the way!

82.jpg

85.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

90.jpg

That came out fantastic!  Love the overall presentation, nice job Glen!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks, Mike!  Your build log was a HUGE help.  Plus, I can't thank you enough for your thoughtful answers to my questions.  You get half the credit for this!

4 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Thanks, Mike!  Your build log was a HUGE help.  Plus, I can't thank you enough for your thoughtful answers to my questions.  You get half the credit for this!

No way, that was all you and your skills.  I'm just happy to have been along for the ride to follow your build. :) 

Mike

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Just by chance I found your build. All I have to say is its amazing. A beautiful piece of work and  a clear explanation of the process and its occasional personal responses to the problems in the way. Years ago I bought a kit to make one of these models on a bottle. But never had the courage to do it and the kit was lost in one of my many moves. This is what I love about tis forum. It has awakened my interest in this amazing hobby: kit builds, scratch build, ships in a bottle, etc. etc. etc. 

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

@Ras Ambrioso  Ras, thank you for the kind words!  I could not agree more with what you said about this forum.  I have learned so much from so many amazing craftsmen in the short time I've been a member here.  Plus the encouragement from everyone really helps you get thru the inevitable, difficult moments of the build.