Magenta 1861 by GrandpaPhil - 1/72 - CARD - French Ironclad Broadside Battleship - built as designed

Also taking notes of scupper locations on the Solferino kit:C0CD98A5-4848-4590-99D2-6CAE1286AF32.thumb.jpeg.e53b61ce81ba06bd77cb4bcb3524d25d.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 month later...

And so it begins:

4F640EF0-6A75-4B7D-948A-A7CED8DFCA9F.thumb.jpeg.ef7fbfccf8a15eabc76e6f82bebf5cf7.jpeg

0D6D5A78-EF08-4E16-AC8B-E92DBF05028B.thumb.jpeg.3a7858fb6ba5eee580a75f053a5a06c3.jpeg

To give an idea of scale, those drawings are sitting on two 6 foot folding tables.

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Phil, I'm really looking forward to this build and I'm hoping you enjoy every minute of it.  

This is going to be so cool to watch from the start.  In my short history of ship modeling, I'm getting to be a real fan of these steam/sail ships and how unique they are. 

Let 'er rip, Phil!!

2 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

I'm getting to be a real fan of these steam/sail ships

Glen, the transitional period is unique and some gorgeous ships came from this period. The Magenta is one of those beauties. I wish more folks would model ships from this period and I wish more kit manufactures would design kit's from this period. 

Thank you both very much!

Orel makes some very nice kits of the transitional era warships.

Also, the French Ministry Of Defense has a pretty nice selection of plans of mid to late 19th century warships hosted on the Wayback Machine.  

That is where I got these.

Wikipedia linked to them.

The originals were in .tif format.

Phil,

I’m pulling up a chair and getting ready for the ride. Really looking forward to this build. A transitional era ship is on my list to build, just haven’t figured out which one yet. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Thank you very much!

Thank you all very much for the likes and just for stopping by!

First vent!

C40C98E6-11C6-4FAE-B0E4-A387B6372CA5.thumb.jpeg.5d79bcc5968f6c29fb526aa22fb295da.jpeg

I’m relearning how to draft, lol.

I have not drafted anything in nearly 20 years.

I’m doing better than I thought I would.  

Here soon I’ll have to figure out the walkway around the blockhouse.

E9BBA26A-A507-40CA-8687-794EC01444C9.thumb.jpeg.91daf88f091707ac20153c5f4d9cf24e.jpeg

28F28ED1-96E7-4AFA-BBE7-9BDA4CA46BD0.jpeg.a8d43c9fce2648ffa2db9e8cbb82062e.jpeg

CBD48286-604C-4FB8-B9F1-FDA59961862C.jpeg.83ddd466672dba9c4b4b54756eaef4ee.jpeg

It’s shown on the original plans, but not the Paris model.  

On the Paris model, the walkway is only on the aft side of the blockhouse and does not go all the way around.

However, Magenta underwent a major refit in 1865.  

She also had a barquentine rig prior to that.

I would like to build her as originally built though, so I’ll figure out how to integrate it with the model.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Plan modification and drawing continues.

The final stack drawings:

97DCE97E-9DDB-4A87-9D21-7C4A137FDD2A.thumb.jpeg.6c2837e3b89427f3e7fd5e34e96927a9.jpeg

Found another major variation.

The Orel kit that I am referencing appears to reference the Paris model.

The original plans have a raised stern observation platform with some kind of structure beneath it.

The platform is where the ruler is.

CD361621-FA4E-4BD3-ADCF-F8C06F55F1FE.thumb.jpeg.9d29dea76eb42238f2a1740e71757c6f.jpeg

There is a structure below the observation platform that I would assume would be a skylight, grating or ladderwell, but there is no ladder on the Inboard Profile.

14683A4C-457E-4A4F-B0E7-DB92BB0075BF.thumb.jpeg.4b5fb311a3dc6d98d2656c170a42130b.jpeg

According to the Upper Gundeck Plan, that structure is located directly over the Admiral’s Suite.

1771E6A1-CDEF-4039-9490-D9A40A20EAFE.thumb.jpeg.133b4450d87245f0ee76280ec9f5de51.jpeg

And, according to the Inboard Profile, it’s a solid structure:

782BC8A1-DCDA-4212-B5F4-4F721BFF73ED.thumb.jpeg.fc49e513dfa475863c376add768ffa4c.jpeg

And the Outboard Profile just shows the side view of the observation platform.

D253063C-6021-46E7-B74B-BDE3D38264A9.thumb.jpeg.bec521f86939e7a3d54f2782271215b2.jpeg

Any thoughts?

Edited by GrandpaPhil
Corrected a plan reading error

Phil, purely a guess but could it be a protected companionway for the officers? The walls wouldn't extend beyond the companionway itself. 

The two photos from the Tennessee, the first shows the officers companionway behind the binnacle protected by the deck above, the second photo shows one of the crew companionways on deck. 

3F2F73F9-8156-486E-80B9-DE10C0F431FE.jpeg

D49550E4-1FF3-4C02-843A-A9594E1CD278.jpeg

I thought the same initially, but there’s no corresponding ladder shown on either the inboard profile or the upper gundeck plan.

9A3B8F6E-0BBA-4B06-A7C5-2100EFB8585F.thumb.jpeg.ecf1b04e9c044009aa86406e9b81c872.jpeg

AC5A7560-13A5-4AD7-ABC7-676A5F7F8000.thumb.jpeg.15c207f110f5f9e625571a61299cb4cf.jpeg

I thought about it possibly being a deck locker, too.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

I can't see the officers using the same companionway stairways as the crew. The officers had to be able to reach the deck independent from and unimpeded by the crew. If that's not a companionway below the platform then the officers companionway would have to be the stern most companionway according to the plans (the way I interpret them) and that companionway leads to an unprotected deck.

On the Tennessee, the crew companionways, (four total) they were placed in groups of two in close proximity to one another, one for going below deck and one for coming up on deck. This prevented the jamming of crew bodies in the stairwells particularly in times of manning battle stations or abandon ship procedures. 

Edited by Keith Black

I agree.  

It looks like there’s a skylight, where the plans show the Admiral’s ladderwell, on the Paris model.

It looks like  the officer’s ladderwell heading down behind the helm, where the skylight directly aft of the helm is shown on the plans.

FD05D3AB-DBE6-4FBC-8987-EA680B5794EF.jpeg.79e23298d3538b07f7bc167fdb5baba2.jpeg

Looking at the Paris model, I believe that the binnacle is located where the aft platform was, along with a chart cabinet.

Also, I initially misinterpreted the plans and updated my previous post with the correct location of the aft platform.

7D34AAC8-A38D-4452-8D3C-00C1B172D9E7.jpeg.02392b3710a0d15bddde406cadfb03d5.jpeg

BA100E6F-FA2B-4A8A-BAD8-F8B27BBBEA79.jpeg.edfe48cb2cf84f2470e6513395c6089d.jpeg

Do you think the structure under the platform might have been a chart room, away from the bulk of the plating to avoid interfering with the compass and protected from the elements?

Edited by GrandpaPhil

I would think the charts would have been kept below in the Captain's quarters. The plans you have are after the 1865 refit, correct? 

What looks like a wall on the plans could be representing a tarp which could be lowered in foul weather. I wonder if the binnacle was moved up on the platform to get it up off the deck and away from the hull? 

I have the original builders plans from 1859.  

The Orel kit and the Paris model are the post-1865 version.

Moving it away from the hull would prevent interference from the ship’s magnetic field.

Having a tarp there would definitely make sense.  

It would allow for open air navigation in good weather and be the equivalent of the quarterdeck on a conventional ship of the line.

That platform with the binnacle could have been housed inside.

And, having the observation platform there would have been really convenient for taking sextant measurements.

In these years, before compass compensation arrangements were introduced in the 1880s, it was common practice to put one or more binnacle onto a high pedestal.

I wonder, where they put the binnacle after the aft observation bridge was constructed. This metal structure certainly would have not been helpful for reliable compass readings. Many ships of that period would have had also an emergency steering wheel somewhere there, above the tiller.

I didn't go through my pictures of the SOLFERINO, but wondered where the main steering position was. The main command position moved forward, close to the engine, when ships were expected to engange in battle mainly under steam. It became important to effectively control the engine. Some ships had the steering position inside the conning tower. However, the relatively large mass of iron, would have made compass readings rather unreliable. Not sure how they handled that problem in the times before compensation for declination and inclination.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

The Magentas had three steering locations that I can see on the plans.

There was the visible one, one inside the blockhouse by the stack and one three decks directly below the blockhouse helm, on the false deck.

The aft part of the Magentas was not armored, and they were primarily wooden ships. 

That would account for the location of the binnacle.  

299C0013-7A6C-459F-9755-1FB41DB4B97B.thumb.jpeg.20b9e582ccee7d65ad4f6aa64191cc4a.jpeg

It would have isolated it from the iron part of the hull.

On a related subject, this is a very interesting ship.  

I’m glad I found it and even more glad to have found the original plans and to receive all the information that has been provided here.

It looks to me like they took a standard two-decker, put a steam engine in it and partially armor plated it.

They may not have fully armor plated the Magentas because of weight.

As it was, they displaced nearly 6800 tons.

That’s a lot, especially for the relatively small size of the ships.

Plus, the hulls on these ships were incredibly thick.

The plating and planking measured around 18 in. thick (1/4” at 1/72 scale).

The full thickness of the hull on this model will be around 1/2” thick at 1/72 scale.

That adds a lot of weight.

That would also account for why the Magentas only carried 52 guns when the hull was pierced for 96 guns.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Phil, I'm a tad confused. The Magenta was christened in 1861and refitted in 1865. The platform was added during the 1865 refit? The Paris model without platform is as she was christened in 1861? The platform is shown on the plans you have so they must be from 1865? 

2 hours ago, wefalck said:

I wonder, where they put the binnacle after the aft observation bridge was constructed. This metal structure certainly would have not been helpful for reliable compass readings.

The Tennessee carried three binnacles and she was wood hulled. The Magenta had to have carried several as well. 

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Phil, I'm a tad confused. The Magenta was christened in 1861and refitted in 1865. The platform was added during the 1865 refit? The Paris model without platform is as she was christened in 1861? The platform is shown on the plans you have so they must be from 1865? 

My plans are the original shipyard design plans from 1859.

The platform, if it was included, was removed during the refit.

I’m building Magenta as she would have appeared when designed and hopefully as she looked when launched.

There are several of the deck fittings that show up on the plans, but not on the Paris model and vice versa.

I’m trying to use an Orel Solferino in 1/200 scale as a study model (Magenta’s sister ship) to fill in the gaps because I only have the original shipyard builder’s plans (which have many gaps).

However, the Orel Solferino is based on the Paris model, which is shown in the late 1860s configuration, after the refit.

I’m taking that model, along with the 1859 shipyard plans and turning those plans into model plans.

It’s loosely the same thing I did with the Prince de Neufchatel, which I built from Chapelle plans in “The History Of American Sailing Ships” and “The Search For Speed Under Sail”.  

Those plans were drawn by the British when they captured Prince de Neufchatel and took lines off her.

4 hours ago, wefalck said:

In these years, before compass compensation arrangements were introduced in the 1880s, it was common practice to put one or more binnacle onto a high pedestal.

Aircraft use a special place on airfields for setting the magnetic compass, Not all airfields have one though.  When we asked (military aviation), we were told that this was way it been done for a long, long time.     Is it possible that they an area in a harbor for setting "north"?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes, in many harbours they have an area set aside for this purpose. Two beacons are set up to align with true North. The ships can turn in a full 360° circle in this area while taking simultaneously compass readings and observing the beacons. On this basis a deviation table for the ship with its current load will be established. There is also specific flag signal for ships undergoing this procedure to give the right of way.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still drawing on my plans:

EBD522C5-5D7B-4565-8F35-D0F04D962504.thumb.jpeg.bf6b783767bcd05c32cd84c9a8ddb577.jpeg

The Main Deck

20147787-60E3-4BBC-9598-C822C4F0F8F1.thumb.jpeg.0fbb791fe8bc6608b0e7bbddf61fa63c.jpeg

Stack details

EB006EF9-B493-4FDC-85D1-F6715C0855CD.thumb.jpeg.445cbb04cb1d40facb71cfdf06d2bb8d.jpeg

Deckhouse and Helm support details

F996832B-FE0B-4CF8-94B0-300731375A3F.thumb.jpeg.dae76019b0f78370ec5e24a1e1419dc6.jpeg

Aft part of the ship

729A28CD-3F13-403F-AE20-D75FD13E3B04.thumb.jpeg.1a2298fab9fb4408a5f3f45edc194cea.jpeg

The middle part of the ship

B288B2A3-0437-417E-946A-C7E7761007E1.thumb.jpeg.dbb89aa65ee9f1432f2c79da5d3caffa.jpeg

The bow

DA767CCB-D22C-47DB-B18E-64ED2EB6DC21.thumb.jpeg.66e0683dcd9c217b92b9652336ff8772.jpeg

Side view of the helm.

It’s coming along.  I could actually start cutting now, but I want to wait until I finish the Solferino.

It’s not good for me to have too many projects going at once.

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much!  

You are more than welcome!

There’s the Magenta, some assembly required:

4CAEC980-001B-4C6F-B26B-824EE6828123.thumb.jpeg.4bd1f3891742fc3ccdd77e30fe1e2f72.jpeg

Seriously though, she’s going to be built of double thickness cardboard for the hull.

I’m amassing the cardboard now.

I’ll use roughly the same techniques I did with Hannah to build the hull.

I’ll cover it using a combination of traditional techniques (rough in all of the gunports, windows, etc.) and card techniques.  I’ll use the pulp board to plank below the waterline and then most likely plank with standard card above the waterline.

The cool thing about doing it this way is that it will make making armor plating really easy.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a whole lot of leftover oversized valentines cards, today.

They are about the same size and thickness as the sheets of poster board that I’ve been using for my models.

The Prince de Neufchatel only used 5 sheets of poster board, and that includes all of the hull framing pieces.

I am going to use this card to make many of the fittings (and possibly part of the hull covering) on Magenta.

One thing I’ll have to be careful about is the thickness of the hull framing, planking and armor.

Between the planking, framing and armor, the thickness of the hull will come out to about 7/16”.

That’s very thick for a model.

This ship was designed at the end of age of the wooden warship.

So, consequently, she was designed to take a beating.

As a result, the planking was incredibly thick, and then on much of her, she wore nearly 5” of armor.

The body plan only goes to the outside of the frames.  

So, I’ll have to take great care to ensure that I get the correct sizing of the bulkheads since I won’t be using wood planking.  

The hull covering will be around 1mm overall, not including the armor plating, which will be cut individually out of thin card.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

8 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

she wore nearly 5” of armor.

That’s some thick armor. Makes for one heavy ship. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Yes, she was.

Magenta was essentially a two-decker that the French armored and put a steam engine in.

She was pierced for 95 guns but only carried 55.

She was also only armored along the waterline and the battery decks where the guns were.

I’m assuming that was because of the weight.

Edited by GrandpaPhil