Wooden Mallet by Elijah - 1:1 - FINISHED

Elijah

Greetings!

I've recently started school at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding, I thought I might post a project from the curriculum. This mallet was both a practice project to learn mortise and tenon joinery, but also to create a useful tool to use through the year. 

I started with the handle by making a template, cutting the template out, and then using it to transfer lines to cut on the band saw. I cut the handle and then shaped it using a spokeshave, chisels, scrapers, and a little bit of sanding. There were marks left by the saw, but I decided not to fuss over it too much and I decided to live with them.

1093273801_Mallethandle.thumb.jpg.9ab5b2cf28509935de7f79a41f0f2cf7.jpg

The mallet head was made from a solid maple block, and I drilled a hole before laboriously chiseling out the inside to create the mortise.

Mortise.thumb.jpg.529c9cc7073beb9fc6e250187c682cf2.jpg

Once the mortise and tenon fit, I marked the mallet head for beveling the faces to an appropriate angle. 

2121854213_Malletheadmarked.thumb.jpg.d8201fada90ca4571d8a7a2f8fdc3597.jpg

Then I cut the excess wood off, rounded the top and bottom, cleaned the faces and fixed the head to the handle using wedges. I chamfered the edges with a small chisel. Once that was done, I applied a light coat of beeswax orange goop finish. I don't remember the proper name, but it smelled nice!

1047902677_MalletChamfer.thumb.jpg.3e37298d4e1cfd1c12c9adef46cb4de0.jpg

1970925053_Malletprofile.thumb.jpg.1463d4b0c511b86a75840118ff67a6c6.jpg1951352027_Malletupsidedown.thumb.jpg.8e1269f507ad1e8c2de49bd4c7eb2164.jpgTenon.thumb.jpg.396d43077e455f5ca5665dfb253aa738.jpg

Even though I didn't use any glue, it's quite solid and very satisfying to use!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Very cool Elijah!  Nicely done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Very nicely done, Elijah.  I hope the schooling goes well.  BTW, wood burn you name on that beauty so no one will steal it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There is something very satisfying about building and using something you made yourself... Especially doing it the old time honored way...

It's a accomplishment, something they don't teach but in very few places anymore...

Well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thank you, that's a good idea Mark. I don't have a wood burner but I'll find some way of marking it. 

Egilman, fortunately this is one of those few places!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Nicely done, Elijah. It will give you pleasure fore years, since you made it yourself. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Well made Elijah

But as you know this is only the start. I have seen a couple of the boats made there for sale in Port Townsend over the years and if they are an example then you have some treats coming in the next year or two. Beautiful work in Cedar and Oak, along with other woods that I do not know as well. Are you doing full time or just taking classes?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

great looking mallet! :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks all! 

Actually, the classes themselves are full time. We start at 8 in the morning and end at 5, five days a week. We also have some really nice boats in the works! There's a folk boat that only has the stem, keel and transom done and then there's a small trawler that we'll be lofting in the near future.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of: