Upstate New Yorker

Melissa T.

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on the site for a while and have been extremely impressed with the quality of advice and experience shared here!  I'm a 61-year old retired woman living happily in Saratoga Springs, NY.  (I suspect I'm one of the very few women on this site!)  I have long admired wooden ship models that I have seen displayed in various museums around the world over the years for their intricacy and accuracy.  I've wanted to take the plunge and build my own for some time now, and have been reading up on the topic.  With the winter now approaching, it seemed an opportune time for a good indoor project such as this.

The advice to beginners on MSW is excellent and on the mark.  Though I would love to build the Viking Drakkar, a Greek Bireme, and of course - given where I live - Henry Hudson's Half Moon, I've decided to start with the Swampscott Dory from Bluejacket to gain some basic skills and experience.  It looks fun, but still challenging, and I'm totally fine if it takes me six months or so to finish it.  I'm more interested in the process than the finish line.  I'll be closely consulting the build logs of others who have built this kit to learn from their experiences (and so I can make my own original mistakes!)

A bit about me - I'm a retired Army officer (Military Intelligence branch) and I was fortunate to live and travel throughout Europe and the Middle 
East.  I'm an avid and lifelong amateur astronomer, another hobby requiring a lot of patience and gradual skill-building.  I am interested in and read extensively on the history of the ancient world and the early modern period of the 17th and early 18th centuries.  I'm fortunate to live where I do, at the nexus of New Netherland, New France, and New England.  I look forward to participating on this site and learning more about this fascinating hobby!

Melissa T.

Melissa T.

Current Build: 85' ARB Scratch build, 1:32 scale

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Welcome, Melissa! It sounds like you are taking a wise approach to the hobby. I have no reason to doubt you will be successful.

I had an 8" reflector on a Dobson mount not too many years ago. It was great when I used to live in the sticks near Yosemite NP, but now I live in suburbia, and there is way too much light pollution.

Cheers!

P.S. Some of my ancestors were early residents of New Amsterdam.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Thanks Chris! An 8” Dob is a terrific scope! I’m lucky to have my own back yard observatory now with a soon-to-be-arriving 160mm APO refractor. Lots of light pollution, but still fine for double star and planetary work. But I suppose this is off topic….

Just ordered the Swampscott Dory kit from Age of Sail.  Looking forward to it!

Melissa

Melissa T.

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

Melissa, welcome to MSW. I look forward to seeing your dory come to life in a build log.

We have several female members and it's always a pleasure to welcome aboard a new female member. Women have innate abilities that make model building a natural, the most important being patience. It's a shame more women aren't drawn to the hobby. 

One of our  members,  Rob Wiederrich, builds his on scopes including grinding the mirrors. 

And yes, thank you for your service. 

Welcome to MSW, Melissa.   You've chosen well on starting this hobby.   Thank you for your service.  You'll find that many of us are former military going back to even pre-Vietnam.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW. I grew up in upstate NY (Gloversville). Thank you for your service. Since you are in Saratoga, the Philadelphia from the battle of Valcour Island may be of interest,

Richard

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Richard - Good tip!  I hadn't even thought of that.

Melissa T.

Hi Melissa and welcome to Model Ship World.  The Swampscott Dory kit is an excellent kit for the first time wooden ship modeler.  I hope you start a build log of your model when you receive it so we can follow your progress.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome Melissa,

First and foremost, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY.   I too get the astronomy bug now and then, having had an 8" Schmidt Cassegrain from Celestron.   Living in a relatively small town now,  the only light pollution is from the street lights so maybe time to re-up.    I would love to get an 11" SC but the weight and moving it in and out would not be good for these old bones.   Maybe sink a post in a concrete base and mount it semi permanently.   Then again, if it is permanently mounted maybe a 14" !!!!!!   

Good luck with your ship modeling, you have literally tens of thousands of tutors available to help you along the way.

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

9 hours ago, Melissa T. said:

I am interested in and read extensively on the history of the ancient world and the early modern period of the 17th and early 18th centuries.  I'm fortunate to live where I do, at the nexus of New Netherland, New France, and New England.

Melissa,

First,  good luck and good fortune in your experience with this.  May it provide the challenge and fulfillment that many of us find in researching and fabricating model ships from the Age of Sail and before.

My purpose with this is to ask / suggest   - given where you live, are you familiar with the book:  King William's War - Michael G. Laramie - Westholme Publishing - 2017.   While it is not exactly a page turner, it does fill what for me was a major vacuum in the history of North America.  It supplies a background that explains the attitudes, prejudice, and hostilities of the subsequent years.   Have you already read it?  Are you familiar with it?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thank you all for your kind and generous comments!

Jaager - I’m very familiar with Laramie’s book on King William’s War (Nine Years War in Europe) as well as his companion volume on Queen Anne’s War (War of Spanish Succession). Not the most scintillating writer, as you say, but solid history well-researched. Thanks!

Melissa T.

Hello Melissa, welcome to MSW. Plenty of people here to chip in with advice/answers on the issues you will face.  I am looking forward to seeing your build log, several people here have a soft spot for working boats. 

Your sky-gazing gear sounds serious!

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Might I also suggest for your reading list Bloody Mohawk by Richard Berlith which covers the Mohawk Valley and the NY frontier from before the French and Indian War through the Revolutionary War and The British are Coming by Rick Atkinson the first of a trilogy. I'm still awaiting the second installment.

Richard

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Richard - Bloody Mohawk and Atkinson’s book also on my bookshelf. Both are fantastic!  Melissa

Melissa T.