Swampscott Dory by Melissa T - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1:12

And so it begins - my first build.  The Swampscott Dory kit arrived last Thursday and since then I've been gathering needed tools and supplies, setting up my workstation in the basement, reading the instructions and the build logs of others who have already tackled this kit.  I inventoried all the parts, and everything is present and accounted for.  I've also researched real-life versions of this Dory and found one that I like here, and will try to build a model that replicates this as closely as possible.  I found suitable acrylic paints in Michael's; still not sure about the stains/varnish - will likely be a trial and error process making use of the scrap wood. I'll begin assembling the frames this week, though I plan to build this kit slowly, deliberately and even contemplatively.  As I wrote in my new member intro last week, I'm more interested in the learning process than the finished product.  I think it will be fun, and I'm looking forward to it!

Dory Kit 3.jpg

Dory Kit 2.jpg

Melissa T.

Current Build: 85' ARB Scratch build, 1:32 scale

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I missed your new member intro so I will welcome you to MSW here and be the first to follow your build.  I built this same kit 5 or 6 years ago before I discovered MSW, and have built a few other Bluejacket kits.   It is a fun little kit to build.  It looks like you have a nice dedicated work area, and are well prepared.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Frames are built and sanded.  I’m finding the build logs on this site are invaluable as the kit instructions are often ambiguous and leave a lot open to interpretation.  (I know, welcome to model ship building….). As others have noted, the frame templates on the printed plans are slightly off.  I matched them all up as closely as possible, but we’ll see what happens when I get to planking.  Minor point, but I sanded the bottom braces so that their tops follow the interior curve of the frame. I think it gives a more finished look.

I’ve also been testing acrylic primer and paints on scrap wood.  Will begin doing it on the real thing next.

693384F5-5CFD-4EE5-8F95-E60A85EAAF87.jpeg

Melissa T.

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

I would hazard a guess that you are the only person on this site with a Herztsprung-Russell poster on the wall!  I figured you had to be an astronomer, but i see from the profile you are an historian and amateur astronomer. Good luck on the Swampscott dory build. I grew up in Saugus, MA, right next door to Swampscott!

Ron Gove, 

(Papa to my grand daughter)

Thanks! Big fan of the H-R diagram - incredibly elegant and explanatory tool in astronomy. Working on frames and bottom piece of my dory now - will post pics again early next week.

Melissa T.

So far, so good. Prior to any assembly, I’ve done a lot of painting and staining on the separate parts. While it slows the actual building process, I’m hoping it will make things easier in the long run, especially where different colors/stains are joined on separate parts.  This in itself has been an educational process. (I’m supposed to thin acrylic paints? Who knew? Wait, what are acrylic paints?) I’ve glued the frames to the bottom piece, measuring carefully between them on both sides to make sure they are parallel. I used a drafting triangle to keep them at a right angle to the bottom piece.  Transom and stem are now in place, and I’ll let those dry thoroughly before gluing the assembly upside down to my build board in preparation for planking. It’s been fun so far, and I’m definitely gaining some new skills!

9CFC7BA0-B84C-4050-BA11-2FFDC1600FAA.jpeg

FC5F4CE1-38A9-4D80-AF61-5A117BD8BFEB.jpeg

Melissa T.

Nice start! The Swampscott Dory was my first kit as well, I found it to be an excellent introduction to the hobby. Good luck with the rest.

Bending the bottom piece was surprisingly easy with a damp washcloth heated in the microwave for one minute. Put weights fore and aft to hold in place. Rechecked parallel distances between frames and then glued them to build board. Will leave overnight.

59C2953A-0211-437B-94A5-0546A4821E85.jpeg

Melissa T.

Garboard planks are in, though not without difficulty. Steaming and bending the planks proved to be harder than I thought it would be and I’ve definitely not yet mastered any particular technique. I first tried laying a steaming hot hand towel over the garboards which mostly just caused them to curl up along the basswood grain. Then I tried holding them over a boiling pot of water, which gave them some pliability but also resulted in a scorch mark where I held one plank too close to the edge of the pan.  Oops - will paint over that one! Got the best result from wrapping them in a steaming hot paper towel, though I’m not sure why that worked when the hand towel did not. I’ve read on these forums that some people soak the planks in water - for how long I wonder? Long term, I’m thinking an electric plank bender might be a good investment. Any recommendations on these?

I used CA glue to secure the planks in place - I’m very happy with how the stem turned out though the transom was a real challenge.  The first plank pulled the transom so far to one side that it was difficult to glue the second one, especially as there was no way to clip it in place with the shallow angles involved.  Probably should have glued the transom to the build board.  Lots of sanding at that end of the boat.  Following suggestions I found on this forum, I used regular spackle to fill gaps and cracks and that worked really well.  

All in all, I’m happy so far with how it’s going, though there is still a long way to go. Taking a Thanksgiving break now, and will put in the remainder of the planks next week when I return from enjoying the holiday with my sons and their wives.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

14E19C76-21DD-4A5A-A74F-4E83BF43196D.jpeg

64D04EEA-BF37-4732-8DAC-649EEB8E5E84.jpeg

2622C681-F21E-46D6-B305-6611541406B9.jpeg

Melissa T.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Thanksgiving, and now the planking is finished.  Not an easy process, and I’m not entirely happy with the result but I think it should work.  Bending the basswood was surprisingly difficult - I found that for me soaking the wood gave the best result. No amount of steaming seemed to have much effect. Also the second plank on each side did not reach all the way to the transom. I had about a 1/4” gap on each side from the end of that plank to the transom, which I filled with scrap wood. I think I might have had it positioned too high up at the stem, despite it overlapping the garboard by 1/16” as called for in the instructions.  Can’t be sure.

As I look at the boat from the bottom, there is a fair amount of bulging in the planks where they meet the frames.  Not sure if there’s any fix for this, or if it just is what it is.

Next up is a lot of trimming, sanding and painting.  Onward!

32D42C6A-037C-435D-BF78-C962FDB7E167.jpeg

B5508255-581A-409F-A696-7516CABFA865.jpeg

A7EDEC70-52BA-467D-AF91-720E9DFCA31E.jpeg

1EBDB8D1-8F95-46D7-9AC7-75C79A403E02.jpeg

Melissa T.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been working, very slowly, on my dory through the holidays and have really been enjoying the experience. The go slow approach is working well for me.  Railings and centerboard assembly now in place.  Other build logs have been invaluable - #bolin, whoever you are - thank you! I could not have gotten this far without your photos.  One of the other cool things about this hobby is learning previously unfamiliar nautical terms. I had no idea what a centerboard is or how it works until I had to research it for this kit. Very cool!

04781DCD-094C-4467-8DC5-B1D276118F96.jpeg

9DDB6ACB-DABF-42A3-AD42-BCFDA164DF24.jpeg

FE10E598-73D1-4423-BCAF-17E4E76207F8.jpeg

Melissa T.

Looks great Melissa! This kit is next on my list. I’ll be referencing your log too. 

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging slowly along and really enjoying this project. I’m happy with how the rudder and tiller turned out and how things are shaping up overall. To get the gentle curve in the tiller as shown in the plans, I soaked the mahogany handle in water for several hours then held it into the curved shape using 5 lb dumbells overnight.  Working on mast and boom now.

7E0E3CEE-4158-482C-92EA-A23DF372A513.jpeg

25D4941B-1FB7-4FED-86BE-A7A889C17F2C.jpeg

ED44692D-C0A8-48ED-9AEE-FA84786BECA8.jpeg

Melissa T.

Mast and boom complete.  Loved making the oars, though kit unfortunately only had enough dowel included to make two of them. May get some more at craft shop to make two more. Cleats and eyelets for rigging also in place. Now working on sails, which seems to be an art form unto itself!  I’m leaning toward the “no sewing” camp and we’ll see how it turns out.

58203232-F454-4537-81D6-418D710B8C7D.jpeg

65FDE8C1-8B2C-4DE0-850A-846524A842A9.jpeg

9CFBE4E4-72EE-4FBC-988B-8F2F0B5A3C72.jpeg

Melissa T.

Thanks! Found it online on a real-life dory that I’m loosely basing this on: 

http://www.antiqueboatamerica.com/Boat/15_Feet_1991_Thompson_Swampscott_Dory_38514

Melissa T.

Looks like the real thing.  You are doing a good job on building this model.  If you can't make it to a craft store for dowels, Walmart may have them in their craft department.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thank you so much! I’m having fun and learning a lot - such a wonderful hobby!  Already looking forward to my next build 😊

Melissa T.

Melissa she looks beautiful! You're doing such a wonderful job.

Paul

Completed Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Mainsail, associated rigging, and oarlocks now complete and in place.  Will work on the jib and shrouds over next couple of days, and that will be it! Happy how it’s turning out 😊

9DE13537-061D-4816-9B27-DB3C8E9E5EF5.jpeg

798F42B4-74F4-4EF5-970E-7D34D5A8C134.jpeg

Melissa T.

Sails look so good! Actually everything looks so good!

Paul

Completed Builds:

Thanks Paul! Will post completed pictures in next couple of days.

Melissa T.

Melissa, beautiful build of yours and also a great introduction of you.

Warm welcome to MSW.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry