Looking for Ideas On How to Separate and Store Planking and Wood Strips

Go to solution Solved by mtaylor,

Looking for ideas on separating planking and decking sticks by size. 

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Brian,

Which ship?  There are sources based on contemporary contracts and folios with scantlings for beams, carlings, ledges, and the flat (planking) on each deck of various size ships from the late 1600's to the early 1800's. 

If you bought the dory kit designed by David Antscherl, who is a member here, you will get the best help possible and it has a great reputation as a fantastic starter kit.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hmmm. I want to separate them and store them in such a way that I can look at labels and grab what I need. I'll measure and keep them separated.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

I think I'm going to try to make a box with separators so I can stand them vertically. I could use painters tape to write down the size and when I go to another ship I can just lay down another strip of tape. 

In Dry Dock:

• Solution

Just go down to the hardware store and look for plastic pipe of a diameter that fits what your storing.  Cut into lengths, again to lengths a bit (an inch or two) shorter than the wood.   You can stand them up or lay them on their sides.   They also make end caps so you can pick up one tube and not have the wood falling all over the place.   If I remember right, they have both round and square tubing.

In my shop, I use the square fence post covers, cut down to about 2 feet long and stacked on their side.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey, that's a great idea, thanks!

In Dry Dock:

The plastic PVC pipe also works well for soaking planks before cross bending them if you choose that method rather than spiling each plank.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Agree with the tube ideas... I do the same thing!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Similar idea but I use square mailing tubes where I cut an opening in the top. Stackable and I can write what's in them on the front.

IMG_1510.thumb.jpg.bb86b2fd0ccc3846c37d601b9f83ac04.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

think having your stock lay flat beats every other option

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)