Ships Stove Project by usedtosail - FINISHED - 1:16

Thank you potash and the likes too.

I finished the spit support arms and made the pot arms that go inside the stove opening. I again used boxwood for the arms themselves and brass rod for the bottom vertical piece and the brackets that these fit into that will be glued to the inside walls of the stove. I painted these pieces black but have not assembled them yet. I also gave the condenser a couple of coats of copper enamel.

IMG_1605.thumb.jpg.98a4eacfd3048a44ff0a813b8fb20a00.jpg

I then made the pulleys for the chain drive for the spit. I again used boxwood that I turned in the lathe and used the cut off tool to make the slot for the chain. I used a half round file to open up the slot at the edges then parted off the disks. I put the large (driven) pulley into the mill.  where I cut the four curved slots. I cut these on both sides but not all the way through so the disk has more strength. I drilled holes for the axles and will now make the bracket that holds the drive pulley up.

IMG_1602.thumb.jpg.9c360c603b69bf5656741dad1e7a9398.jpg

IMG_1603.thumb.jpg.dc0ad94bf437027189837b4f3781bf36.jpg

I have started the final assembly for the stove itself. I glued the stack to the top and the brackets for the spit arms to the sides. I also glued the brackets for the pot arms inside the stove and added the pot arms. The two grates are also now glued in place.

IMG_1610.thumb.jpg.c41e128d93e38e413b70a078ecc5f8da.jpg

I have the pulleys ready to install with the chain, but first I need to add the drain cocks. I first made simple handles for these by soldering two pieces of brass rod together but then I tried making them a little fancier by hammering both ends of a small brass rod flat and rounding off the edges with a file. I then soldered these to another small piece of brass rod and painted them black. You can see them here in the drain cocks with the rest of the parts to be installed.

IMG_1613.thumb.jpg.29939a5c7641af12d158ddb8b4282bbe.jpg

I have also been designing how I want to display the stove. I am making an iron base from a piece of basswood sheet which will sit on three beams, between the riding bitt standards. I will also have the riding bitt pins and cross piece on the aft side of the aft beam. I don't have enough pear wood left to make all three beams so I just ordered some 1x3 inch blocks for them. I am also thinking about the next component model so I bought enough for it too, if I decide to go ahead with it.

Holy crap that looks like a real working stove.     Great job!      (will you do mine?)

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Thanks very much Alan. I could build you one, but I wouldn't want to deprive you of all the fun building your own. What scale do you need?

Today I glued the drain cocks into place. I also made the two rails, drilled the holes in the stove for them, blackened them, and glued them in place. I then glued the pulleys to their shafts and glued the small pulley shaft into the chimney. There is a bracket that holds up the shaft behind the pulley which I glued to the side of the stove. The spit is not glued to anything so I was able to adjust the size of the chain until I had a good fit then add it to the pulleys. I held the ends of the chain together with a loop of wire, which is hidden under the small pulley.

IMG_1615.thumb.jpg.83897c9dce508f5625ecf174d3160b97.jpg

That completes the construction of the stove itself. I will do some weathering on it at some point. I am now painting and constructing the base for the stove. Once that is finished I'll start on the riding bitts, then the beams and carlings for the display.

1:64

but your right.... where's the fun in having someone else get mad and start throwing stuff around the shop for ya.

😏

Can we get a view from the far corner to see the back and other side?

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Sure. I added the condenser too. You can see the drain cocks underneath.

IMG_1616.thumb.jpg.54d926e5c97fbc95d4210d662f17df25.jpg

And here is a shot from above, for completeness.

IMG_1617.thumb.jpg.1d4ea5bd99c03e1dfac68069563602e7.jpg

I have started working on the riding bitts, which I am making out of a big chunk of boxwood I had. I first sliced off a piece big enough for both standards using the band saw. The cut was very uneven as the blade was wandering a lot. I managed to get it sliced off but it was too thick over most of it. In fact, it was too thick to fit into the Byrnes thickness sander so I used the mill with a big end mill bit to reduce it so it would bit in the thickness sander and sanded it to the correct thickness. I then used the Byrnes Saw and band saw to rough out the standards. I also used the Byrnes Saw to cut out the bitt pins and cross piece.

IMG_1618.thumb.jpg.289cf22201e0d9197ac83961e946214f.jpg

I was able to square up the aft edge, bottom, and the straight part of the top of the standards on the Byrnes Saw, then removed more material in the curved part on the band saw. I will finish up the curves using a sanding drum in the drill press.

IMG_1619.thumb.jpg.7bf325ee5b456cf04b9c91eb838d17bb.jpg

I am also working on the base for the stove. I have the base plate painted and the beams that go underneath it are glued to it. I just need to touch up the paint and it will be ready to go. I am waiting for some pear billets I ordered to arrive to start on the beams.

The riding bitt standards have been smoothed out with a sanding drum so they are ready for the edges to be beveled and other details. I finished the stove base and used some black and rust weathering powder to make it look more like metal. I am not sure I achieved that but at least it is more interesting to look at now. The color in the images is too brown for what it looks like in real life, which is more grey.

IMG_1625.thumb.jpg.667b4118bab02b6c0b4ac0aea16258d0.jpg

IMG_1626.thumb.jpg.4f8d17c9cf4408bf58c4d32889c7511f.jpg

Thank you Albert, Gary, and bdgiantman2, and for those who hit the like button. A chicken might be too big but a small squab might fit. 😀

I have been working on the riding bitt pieces for the display. I glued a piece of pear to the boxwood cross piece and ran them through the thickness sander to even up the tops and bottoms. I then used the disk sander to shape the tops of the bitt pins and the mill to shape the curved section. I used the largest end mill bit I had and made two cuts of equal depth on each side then a third cut in the middle a little deeper. I used a large round file to remove the ridges and some sand paper to even out the curve. Here is the set up I used in the mill.

IMG_1629.thumb.jpg.49b4cb5ab7ae242df3d02b63c6dfb049.jpg

And the result with the other riding bitt pieces.

IMG_1630.thumb.jpg.e42bd241563222a338b16ac598aa75a1.jpg

Then this afternoon the post woman showed up with three nice pieces of Swiss pear that I had ordered from the Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights.

IMG_1631.thumb.jpg.d33b8f866cfa374ccec12e05928ebe8c.jpg

I had to cut the three beams for the display from one of the pieces. I used the bandsaw with much better success this time by not using the fence but following a straight line by hand. I then ran them through the thickness sander to get them to the right thickness and even up the tops and bottoms. I was then able to run them through the table saw to even up the sides and get them to the right width and length. So here you can get an idea of how the display is going to look. The base and stove will sit on the forward two beams between the standards.

IMG_1632.thumb.jpg.bbb89c304139ed53b0ba0c4747ad0a27.jpg

Next up is notching everything to fit together and making the carlings to go between the beams.

I added notches to the front of the bitt pins for the cross piece and to the back for the beam they are attached to. I also cut down the width of the cross piece to the correct size. I then cut notches into the standards for the three beams they sit on.

IMG_1634.thumb.jpg.e12f3bf83ac0f4936047cc7abfb3bc94.jpg

I will be making the carlings next.

I made the carlings the same way I did on the capstan project. I first milled the notches in the beams and cleaned them up with a small chisel. I cut the tenons in the ends of the carlings with a razor saw to fit into the notches. The plans show these angling toward the center which I was able to do with the carlings between the aft and middle beams. The notices were milled at the 87 degree angle of the carlings so the ends fit correctly in them. The plans show the carlings between the middle and fore beam are also angled and go under the standards, but the standards are notched to fit down over the beams. I could either have removed some of the bottom of the standards to fit over the top of the carlings but I decided to just fit them so they didn't go under the standards. I also added two boards along the insides of the standards on the three beams that the stove base plate sits on, since it does extend all the way to the aft beam. The legs on each end of the stove line up nicely with the middle and fore beams. Here is everything so far dry fit.

IMG_1636.thumb.jpg.76714a485560d1053e8ed41a0ce9a76d.jpg

Next I will clean up all these pieces, round the appropriate edges, and add the details to the cross piece. Then I can start putting them all together.

Do you have a reference image (drawing, sketch, photo) that you are building to that shows this relationship you can share?

Alan O'Neill

Alan, most of the reference drawings and images I am using are from The Fully Framed Model (TFFM) series of books by David Antscherl.

I also have a sheer plan of a similar ship that shows the shape and location of the bitt pins and standards.

Ahhhh!  I see it now!

Book Volume II Chapter 8

3D Figure: 8.34_Forecastle_Bulkhead_03

Thank you

Alan O'Neill

Over the last few days I have been getting everything ready to assemble. I rounded the edges of the bitt pins and standards and blackened some nails for the bolts that hold the standards to the beams. I also rounded the edges on the cross piece and filed in the round indents using a half round file. I also made the hooks and eyebolts that hold the cross piece to the bitt pins. I used 28 gauge wire for these and a larger piece of brass rod for the bolts. I also made square nuts from some brass strip. To hold the hooks to the bolts, I soldered a piece of brass to one end of the brass bolts, then rough cut it to a circular shape, chucked the rod in the lathe, and rounded the brass with a file. I placed the hook on the rod, pushed it through holes I drilled in the bitt pins, and glued the square nut to the other end to hold it all together. I then glued the eyebolts into the cross piece, lining them upon with the hooks.

Today I have finally started to assemble the display for the stove. I started by gluing the bitt pins to the cross piece, clamping them together while the glue dries and clamping the bitt pins to the beam they will sit on to make sure they will sit flat to the beam.

IMG_1644.thumb.jpg.b9087296880445e5db98636cbbfb2227.jpg

And here is a closeup of one of the hooks and eyebolts.

IMG_1645.thumb.jpg.546876f3207c6d3ba7f62a3e5def5478.jpg

Once this dries, I can start gluing up the beams and carlings, as I now have the spacing of the bitt pins which everything else will be based on.

• 2 weeks later...

After giving the display base a coat of wipe on poly, I glued the stove to the base then the base to the supports on the beams. This completes the stove project.

IMG_1653.thumb.jpg.aeee9aecd39083b2aafbfc612f1df9ce.jpg

IMG_1655.thumb.jpg.de476f39b191f871fb7a111b9638dd2d.jpg

IMG_1658.thumb.jpg.98f32e1813fbf3c90d4fc891a2492884.jpg

IMG_1661.thumb.jpg.6090f2eb57900f58f337f323d8f19609.jpg

This was another fun scratch build. Here is the stove displayed next to the capstan and ship's wheel.

IMG_1668.thumb.jpg.7fd87ee78976abbd165db41cb67607ba.jpg

And here are the two stoves together.

IMG_1667.thumb.jpg.9785fe9730e78a25b7718d5f29adc29e.jpg

Thanks for following along. My focus now will be on finishing up the Duchess of Kingston, but I may have another scratch build in the future.

Really cool! Love the multi-part display; I have a somewhat similar thing with a few Model Shipways naval cannons and my scaled-down NRG capstan. Really adds visual interest to present things like that together. And yours are all so crisp and eye-catching.

Outstanding Tom! Congratulations on completing a fine build. I'll be standing by to follow your next scratch build - it's sure to be a beauty.

Reallohn nice collection of ships equipment 

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...

Just catching up after some time away, and dang it Tom that is some beautiful craftsmanship and a great display to go along with your other ship component projects.  Congratulations on its completion.  I really like the whole concept of building a series of detailed ship components in a larger scale.  It's such a great idea and I'm going to go back and read your previous two projects.  Wonderful work - so crisp, detailed and precisely done. 

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• The title was changed to Ships Stove Project by usedtosail - FINISHED - 1:16