Ah... copper plating.  I'll delete that topic as I thought the same as Roger.

I haven't seen one here on MSW but there might be one.   You might check Youtube or do a search here for "copper plating".  I got a not quite a thousand hits on a search of the whole site.   Many are build logs but there are topics on plating hulls.

If this is for your build of the Pride of Baltimore, you might just limit your search to the ship as other builders would be plating also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Barb,

Does your kit come with copper sheathing material or are you thinking of adding on your own?    From photos of the Model Shipways' Pride of Baltimore models they appear to have a green (oxidized copper)  painted bottom which is more realistic looking than the vast majority of the copper sheathed models seen here at MSW and elsewhere. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Gene Bodnar’s copper plating tutorial is in the Articles section of this forum.

I have used that to great effect on two models now.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Gene Bodnar’s copper plating tutorial is in the Articles section of this forum.

Might be a little hard to find if one doesn't  know their way around the site..  You have to go to the NRG home page and look at Resources, then find your way to "ARTICLES AND HOW TOS", then find the article by Gene.

https://thenrg.org/resources/Documents/articles/CopperSheathingaHull.pdf

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thanks for posting this tutorial.  These are far more realistic than anything seen from any kit on the build logs here a MSW.  He does mention the missing nails inside the edges, but states that the plates sit side by side which was never the practice as they overlapped.  Kit makers would be better served to supply the tape and pounce wheel if the wheel pins are spaced properly and the correct diameter for the scale of the kit rather than the dross most currently supply.   One other note, the tutorial mentions rivets.  Rivets were not used, but rather 1/4" nails with 1/2" flat heads.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 3 weeks later...

The following site was posted on a build log here at MSW.  Looking at photos of the nails for copper plating pretty well shows that those giant pimples on most kit supplied sheathing look nothing like what was used on the ships.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/v8RrCz_SRtCcGn6qcOQXsA     What looks like a two pence piece in the photo is 1.02" diameter so it is easy to see these nails are about 0.25" with a head that is about 0.5" that would make an indentation when hammered into place, not 2"-3" raised bumps or etched circles found on most kit supplied sheathing.  Smaller scale models may be better served not to show the pattern on the sheathing at all.

Allan

Edited by allanyed