cross section source

How about trying the Admiralty Models Echo cross section. The plans are free and a Power Point tutorial is also downloadable. There are several on this website (including the link under my name). http://admiraltymodels.homestead.com/Echo-X-section.html

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

We do have a cross-section scratch build in the Trition Group Build.  See the link in the "Group Projects" at top of any page.  There is also a Topic area "Group Projects on MSW" on the main page which also shows the Download Area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There is also a cross section of the Bomb Vessel Granado, with plans by Jeff Staudt, available through the Model Ship Builder site.

Anthony

Do you have a specific vessel in mind?  Maybe tackle the Echo as Greg suggests to get a bit more experience, as they offer excellent information, then go for one that has not been done before.   

If you want plans to go completely on your own, there are hundreds of plans from which to choose on the  RMG site, and a great selection of over 800 high resolution  plans on the Wiki Commons site and at other archives.   I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but one example is below.  Others can be found at https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/Cross section plan.     One example that has all the drawings you would need is for the Black Prince 1816   https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/Black Prince 1816.   Cross section drawings like the one below are not common, but you can do just as well with a body plan, inboard profile, deck plans and appropriate scantlings if the cross section plans do not exist.   These open you to hundreds of choices.    

Allan

1102875708_AAEuryalus-08CrossSection.thumb.JPG.43820dd76938bcf73fbd865489f01a70.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I am building the Echo cross-section from Admiralty.  The practicum is fantastic.  Take a peek at my progress to date.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

22 hours ago, Anthony Hearne said:

my first attempt at scratch building was a cross section of hms Blandford , it came out nice and i would like to try another one , my problem is finding suitable plans , where can i find plans for model ships and preferably cross sections?

Hi Anthony, I'm curious what you used for the HMS Blandford, as you say it was your first scratch project.

A number of suggestions have already been made here. But, one comment I have is that Jeff Staudt's HMS Granado cross-section plans would be an interesting change from the other cross-sections, as the Granado was a bomb vessel. Also, I've noted that he incorporates some simplification, which should then be an easier build than some of the others mentioned here, if that's an issue.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

There is a build log of the Granado in the scratch area.  You might do a search using "Cross Section" and "Title Only" selected in the Search function as there might be others.   Do this at top of the Scratch Build area and also select "Forums" 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you’d like to see the Granado cross section, here’s a link to my build: