Ahoy! From Western Canada

Greetings from Western Canada. I'm new to wooden ships, but have built plastic models most of my life. 

For some reason I've been seeing Billing Boats kits for years, here and there. Probably because I'm Danish/Norwegian heritage. So I opted to start there. After spending some time reading varies forums, I see that Billings Boats isn't a favored choice for kits, especially for new modelers. It sounds like their instructions assume you know a fair amount, and have experience. In my defense, the kit I purchased as my starter I got for a steal of a deal - $10 USD. Also it's Billings' beginning level Danish fishing boat 'Dana'. 1:50 scale. With it's ABS hull I figure it's probably a good way to start. 

Currently, I'm starting slow. Doing a lot of reading, and enjoying other people's builds. I need to acquire some tools and supplies. 

My long term goal that I've had for a very long time, was to build a nice Viking longship. Probably a kit like the Oseberg 1:25 scale. I realize that's way too much for someone starting out to handle, and not a kit I can afford to buy until I know I'm serious & ready to build one. But since I have a strong interest in Viking ships I've also picked up a copy of the Billing Boats 'Roar Ege' ship model. I'm quite interested in the fact it's based on a modern Viking ship built as part of the study of the Skuldelev Viking ship finds. It'll probably be my first attempt at a kit with hull planking. Maybe. I have to see if I think I'm up to it or have to get a couple under my belt first. It seems to me that the real challenges of model ship building might be the hull planking and sails/rigging. So at least the Roar Ege doesn't have a lot of sails.

I also pulled the trigger on another Billing Boats 'Advanced Beginner' kit I couldn't resist... just because the price was right. The Bluenose - 1:65 scale. Looking forward to checking that kit out. It seems like another ship that doesn't have a lot of sails, though it has a few, and might be a one to attempt when I want to start into focusing more on sails/rigging. Normally I wouldn't be thinking about buying ship models I can't build for some time, but in this case it seemed wise to grab it when it was a decent deal. $50 for an untouched vintage kit like this seemed like a safe purchase. 

Anyways, that's my plans. Any advice is welcome. I know probably the first thing I should do is compare the Billing kits I have with other kits from other manufacturers. It sounds like there are better options out there. 

I do have a question regarding the Billings Boats kits, and another about kits in general.

1) What era would the Billings Boats Bluenose Nr.576 kit pictured below be from? Is this likely from the 1980's?

2) I assume the kits, by certain manufacturers of certain ships, may tended to change slightly over the years, at least maybe in terms of the components quality. Is there any advantage / disadvantage to buying & building vintage kits over new kits (of the same ship / product #)?  Example: a newer BB 576 kit over the older one that I bought? 

BB Kit Nr576 Bluenose - Copy.jpg

Edited by DeHammer

Hi DeHammer, welcome. The box of your Bluenose No. 576 says that it is laser cut. According to Billings they started using lasers in 1989/1990. So it could be 30 years old. I think it is great that people are buying these old kits and bringing them to life.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Welcome!

The main disadvantage of older kits is degraded materials. Really old kits often had fittings that contained lead, which corrodes over time. Improperly stored kits may have dry, brittle wood or perhaps water damage. Other than that, many manufacturers have made efforts over the years to upgrade their kits, often by switching to laser cutting of components over die cutting (if a kit includes printed parts that need to be cut from a sheet, then it is really, really old) or adding pictorial instructions. Kits made in the last 20 or so years have really been made more user-friendly, and companies continue to innovate. Still, a skilled modeler can make do even with an older kit. The key for a beginner is to not bite off more model than you can chew, and it sounds like you are taking a cautious approach, so you're already off to a good start.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Thanks Paul & ccoyle! That's very useful to know. I suspected that I might be on the safer side with the LASER cut parts. I realized just now that I actually have built with wood before, but it was balsa wood aircraft, and they also transitioned from die cutting to LASER cutting over the years. My 'Dana' kit is also LASER cut and the Roar Ege kit is brand new. These days I think it's a given they are LASER cut. 

Welcome aboard DeHammer.  What a coincidence, I also love the Viking longships and purchased a 1:25 scale Oseberg kit at an unbelievable price about 10 years ago knowing it would be a few builds away.  My first kit using wood was also an airplane, a P-38 Lightning.  Look forward to your first build log.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ahoy DeHammer! 

Welcome aboard, and I wish you all the best with your build!

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Hi welcome, just pick one lol I stared the santa maria amatia, no clue what I was doing learn all here at MSW good building

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati