Rattlesnake by Dave_E - Model Shipways - 1:64

Hi Everyone,

I’m thinking that model ship building is much like the industry I retired from, i.e. tons of research and development and lots of man hours to design, plan, buy etc., and then a couple of non skilled laborers put it together in 4 hours.

I’m looking at the officers quarters bulkhead. Not one mention in the plans at all concerning the bulkhead, no supplied material for said bulkhead, only a view o the drawing. Did you Snake builders supply your own material and do your best scratch building the entire bulkhead?

IMG_0248.thumb.jpeg.28ac4a68a67d7324651ebd910bbcb9fb.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

It has to be scratch built, and you'll find yourself taking many measurements to ensure it looks correct. It is a challenge to get it looking like the plans. Take your time with it and you'll do just fine.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Keep in mind, that bulkhead is Campbell's creation.  Look at Winnie and other builds to get some ideas. I'm thinking the windows would make more sense in the doors.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I'm finding some inspiration for the quarterdeck bulkhead in Beckmann's Winchelsea build.

Link to the relevant content..

Here is a small sample.

image.png.7ab6c40d5233f36cf8b5d9fed960e012.png

Click on down through the link above for a lot more detail regarding method.

@Dave_E  If I'm cluttering up your log too much just let me know and I will delete posts.

― Jimmy Buffett

That level of detail is just insane! Ah, I don't think my Rattlesnake is going to get this level of craftsmanship. I'm just not that good and dont have the tooling. I admire those that have the talent, tools and patience. 👍 You are not cluttering up my log. 😀 I'm not sure what I'll do. Save it for another day and press on.

Dave

I wasn't thinking so much as duplicating the craftsmanship and/or detail but more in the way of a design concept, which is not that  much different from the MS/Campbell drawings.

image.thumb.png.3b0ac4ecc0a81751b9e8c1573442f36b.png

The red drawing is from the Winnie plans reshaped a bit for size. 

The upper curved panels on the MS drawings do not look homogeneous to me.  They don't follow the shape of the bulwarks.

And once again there are the windows.  It would seem more logical for them to be in the doors.

― Jimmy Buffett

5 hours ago, Gregory said:

quarterdeck bulkhead

Beckman is exceptional, he made those out of ivory from old piano keys. Before you get overwhelmed ther are simpler ways to do bulkheads. I scratch built the one for my Pegasus, it doesn’t have to be that hard. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Dave, you can use the knock out piece from the frame at that location for the template of the bulkhead/removeable panels. The tough part is deciding and making the windows, and the raised trim.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Good Friday to All,

It has begun! 😄 Wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Actually the hardest part was overthinking, looking at the drawings until my eyes hurt and looking at all the build logs to decide where to start. I almost went with the hull planking first, but I remembered how I manhandled the Lady Nelson and thought I’d surly snap the gun port framing over and over. I know it looks a little crude, but when I’m down to the wales, then I’ll break out the sandpaper and clean up the ports. 

IMG_0253.thumb.jpeg.1c6d2b46f843b1bb2da280bedbfa0b26.jpeg
IMG_0254.thumb.jpeg.efa1226298e634b054cbd97e12762cd4.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

I've decided I'm going to do a lot of topside work before proceeding with the lower hull..

Does anyone know a good reason for doing all the hull planking first, other than "that's the way it's always been done.".?

― Jimmy Buffett

42 minutes ago, Gregory said:

know a good reason for doing all the hull planking first,

The hull is handled a lot and also easiest to plank with the hull upside down. It’s done to preclude damage to anything on the deck. You can plank with an easier mind when there is nothing on top to worry about. 

Besides planking is fun. 😊

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

59 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

The hull is handled a lot and also easiest to plank with the hull upside down. It’s done to preclude damage to anything on the deck. You can plank with an easier mind when there is nothing on top to worry about. 

Besides planking is fun. 😊

So says the master “planker”. 😆I have seen builds that save planking for later, I too wondered why they would do that.

Dave

On 4/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, Dave_E said:

So says the master “planker”. 😆I have seen builds that save planking for later, I too wondered why they would do that.

I wondered as well; had I followed the order of the instructions, I'd have lots of little shards of wood scattered across my workbench that used to be railings!

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

Dave, Damage is the reason! I just finished planking. Now I have to rebuild several deck supports plus the focsl railing. Not to mention breaking the stem off!! Lots of pushing and pressing against the hull in an upside down position. You'll be glad you did it first by the time you're done!

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

I just discovered your build log today and admired your workmanship. I built the Mamoli Rattlesnake in 2017 as my first square rigged wooden ship using Robert Hunt's practicum as my bible. I could not have built my model without it. The build was a kit bash adding all kinds of details the kit did not have. and was a challenge for me as a first time builder, but I think it was worth it. The Rattlesnake is a beautiful ship. I look forward to your future posts.

Jonathan

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild