Rattlesnake by Dave_E - Model Shipways - 1:64

Dave, are you using an air brush or regular paint brush?  If air, make sure you buy paint made for an air brush.  I've had trouble with paint flow otherwise.  I did not like the ME paints I got for my Bluenose.  I used Vallejo paints, either their Model Air or Model Color paint.  Had good results with them.  You can buy most of these singly on Amazon.  I purchased Model Air "Off White" for the lower hull.  I kind of like the "tallow" color look together with the yellow ochre and black above.  So, I guess everyone has their own eye for color!!

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

Hi Ed,

At the moment I am strictly a brush guy. I am considering investing the equipment, not so much for wooden ships, but my my plastic endeavors.

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Spent the last couple days tinkering with the stern. The Britannia piece did bend quite easy, now waiting for some blue paint. Left the window frames natural wood. The bright white just didn’t do it for me.

66ADDBEE-2CF5-4A65-88D5-0037153B001A.thumb.jpeg.550de750bbdf9e78f5ee628ef5c30350.jpeg

Dave

Dave, curious question. Why did you leave the center window blank? 

Hi Dave,

Your stern windows look great.

I'm glad you were able to bend the stern piece with success. I don't believe it's identical to the one on my Mamoli Rattlesnake, but it's very similar. Mine had to be bent to fit too, but I wasn't quite as successful and broke it. However it wasn't really a problem (it actually made it easy to fit) and I was able to fit it without the repair showing up

DSCN1067.JPG.9ea99a1d9ad65bfb51f73c134b8011e0.JPG

I know there are many different ways to paint this kind of part, but here's a method that I discovered in a BlueJacket newsletter and I found it worked really well for me.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/News--tips--and-happenings-from-BlueJacket-Shipcrafters--Inc-.html?soid=1105166336677&aid=EmTQZTxYvqc

DSCN1087.JPG.248f750e393eace5ae17fd44fee94c1a.JPG

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

2 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Dave, curious question. Why did you leave the center window blank? 

If I may..

That's the way it's shown on the NMM drawings..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

11 minutes ago, Gregory said:

That's the way it's shown on the NMM drawings..

Was It a stern cannon port?

Without proper research one could certainly go astray trusting a model manufacture. Here is the stern view of Model Shipways Rattlesnake.

image.png.3bbec47ee162c488b435a6c96135469a.png

Thanks Dave. The reason I did not do the center window was because as mentioned it appears the real ship, according to the Admiralty drawings (after capture and subsequent renaming to Cormorant) didn’t have one. Dave, your paint scheme for the Britannia is exactly the colors I have chosen. Thanks for the painting link! 👍😀

Dave

Your build is looking very nice Dave! Pulling up a chair now. I’ve used my airbrush at times for both wood and plastic modeling. A wonderful addition and a fun rabbit hole to wander down.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Dave she looking really good, I like the way you Rattlesnake builders do things  if I didn't buy so many models I would get this one lol. Buy an airbrush, join me down the rabbit hole  lol :10_1_10:

Edited by Knocklouder

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Was It a stern cannon port?

The rudder post runs in front of it.

I don't think a dummy window would look bad..  It's one of those things I think the builder should use their judgment..  

I'm leaning toward a dummy window .  I think it looks more balanced that way..

― Jimmy Buffett

Here are a couple photos I took just so you could see what I did to make the stern piece “fit”. First one shows that mine did not end up per the drawing which is what the laser cut part was. I never figured out how to make the laser cut part fit. Second photo is how the Britannia fit after bending.

D57C7319-AE9F-43BE-95FF-138293C92AB4.thumb.jpeg.ff972a49863df02ed96ecc2e3c6d53cf.jpegE2C1F500-CE58-4E9B-9C5D-B54C57FCEB7F.thumb.jpeg.c84c57fe9ab6762c106a62d347116a9a.jpeg

Dave

After studying some more… did any of you other MS builders get this piece in your kit? Nothing mentioned anywhere that I can find.

C600201F-704E-4FE6-8DC7-F7EBEA861951.thumb.jpeg.1a2c26c404c321fcf383a12d29b9915a.jpeg

Dave

I'm pretty sure those are the fashion pieces. The instructions say you have to custom shape them (Fig. 11 in the instructions). It doesn't mention carvings, though. I think they left that detail out.

Your transom looks excellent, Dave. I could not get the britannia stern carving to bend properly to fit the transom, so I am going to attempt creating it out of wood when the time comes. It will give me some practice with engraving which I've never done.

Edited by javajohn

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

Those are counter timbers.  Fashion piece is the aft most frame to which some of the transoms fay.  I don't know the shape for Rattlesnake, but they look like the below on most ships.  I think the buldges down low are less pronounced on Rattlesnake based on the dashed lines on the drawing you posted.

Allan

1605439905_Fashionpieceandcountertimber.JPG.597ce2cf1f8f067a262f107feda0eace.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

They go on the top of the completed planking as the plans show. Painted similar to the transom they are largely decorative. I’ve alway called them, perhaps incorrectly, fashion pieces since they’re fungi’s to look pretty. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hello Dave and everyone following this.

I'm really glad the inconsistencies of the MS plans regarding the transom, and what is being done to overcome them, have come to light.

At some point, I hope to get a good rendition of the transom as it appears on the NMM drawings.

That would not happen if I had charged ahead with the MS plans as drawn.

image.png.a3062e5dd174020b486e8b1dd9d36aa8.png

Clearly MS has produced the carvings as a piece to provide kit builders with something in keeping with the spirit of the ship as documented, rather than an accurate replica.

This was done at a time when the technology we have today wasn't available.

image.thumb.jpeg.54531751e0fd485f0893237201ca745b.jpeg

I have overlayed an image of the NMM drawing over the MS plans, and scaled it as accurately As I can.  These are my upscaled plans of the MS Plans.  The NMM overlay is from a copy of the plans I acquired from the NMM.

However, the drawings available at WIKI Commons are better than my copy from the NMM.

Note how the alignment is pretty good from the top of the stern rail to the bottom of the counter, but everything in between is problematic.

It appears the MS transom is slightly bigger than the NMM drawings to accommodate their casting, rather than having created a carving to match the NMM  drawings.

I'm glad I discovered this before reached the point where I will attempt to duplicate the carvings, which will probably be  a while from now.

I hope the kit builders will not see this as a shortcoming beyond the technology that was available when this kit was designed.

If you are going to use the MS casting; make it work for you.

It is such a great subject and the MS kit is a great foundation for a finished model that anyone can be proud of.

I think it is great how we can get together to decide how to get the best result we can.

P.S.

While I said ' everything ' between the rail and counter was problematic,  I should say the problem lies mainly with the width.

It looks like the layout  and position of the windows is very good.

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

Out of curiousity, which Rattlesnake is your model? There were several in the RN and two in the USN. (1780 and 1813)   

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The lines are of Cormorant ..  Linked to above.  It was Rattlesnake, renamed Cormorant after capture, then later renamed Rattlesnake.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Ship_plans_of_the_Royal_Museums_Greenwich&fileuntil=Cullloden+(1776)+3.jpg#/media/File:Cormorant_(captured_1781)_RMG_J5106.png

It is the basis for the MS and Mamoli kits.

I

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

Thanks Gregory!  I missed her when down loading the high res drawings from the Wiki Commons list into folders.  These folders are set up by number of guns and misc. folders such as bomb vessels, boats, etc.    I would love to share but there are over 40GB.  MSW expressed an interest to set up a file for all members to access but other priorities over the past year or so have prevented this being done.   If there is an easy way to do this for free, I would love to know so these can be shared.  I have added contracts to the folders where appropriate and low res plans if a set was incomplete for a given vessel.   

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

We’re back from our month in Hawaii and as much as I had fun (sun burn, screaming grandkids, moody daughter-in-law and losing too many games of chess to our son) I’m glad to be home. Here is the Britannia stern piece… finding out just how hard this is to paint free hand. The raised portions of the casting do not allow some of the techniques I’ve seen. Two feet away… eh. 😉 I’ve got some touch up to do.

This is also my 1000th post on the forum! 😀 Honesty, I have been on many forums in my life with different hobbies and interests (there are forums for any subject on the planet) but have never had the involvement that I do with MSW. The month I was in Hawaii, it was a joy to open up the forum every day or two and see what the boys have been doing. What I did not know when I joined is that MSW is not just for wooden model shipbuilding! Card, plastic, wood, bottles… ships, planes, anything, and I’d guess that many of us do dabble in more than one modeling medium.

Anyway, glad I’m here and enjoy the many online friendships. God Bless you and Happy new year to all! 👍😀

92B51FC8-35CC-4EB7-AB39-221927FB9B01.thumb.jpeg.49187274a08bb12249825050d351fdea.jpeg

Dave

Looks good Dave. Free hand painting can be a bit daunting. A really fine bristled brush however works well.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Dave, the painting looks great and welcome back. 

Edited by Keith Black

Nice work on the detailed painting, Dave.  

3 hours ago, Dave_E said:

it was a joy to open up the forum every day or two and see what the boys have been doing.

Totally agree.  I'm between projects but still hop on MSW all the time to see what progress everyone is making.  God bless and happy new year to you too!  

On 12/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, Dave_E said:

After studying some more… did any of you other MS builders get this piece in your kit? Nothing mentioned anywhere that I can find.

C600201F-704E-4FE6-8DC7-F7EBEA861951.thumb.jpeg.1a2c26c404c321fcf383a12d29b9915a.jpeg

Dave this looks like a decorative covering for the dogs legs (The very outer counter timbers which are shaped to match the lines of the stern). Lovely build BTW :)