Want information on a model kit.

La Toulonnaise by Artesania Latina kit.  I think it might be out of production because it is not listed in their kits now.  A neighbor hashes kit that his wife bought over twenty years ago.  He has no interest in building it. Although the kit has been opened everything is still in sealed plastic trays. He was not able to find the plans. There is only an instruction manual in several languages. I brought it home to research it.  I did fine 1 1/ 2 pages in English. Once I removed the trays with materials from the box I found the plans for both the ship and sails. The kit seems to be of fairly good quality. some of the sheet stock is warped but I am not sure it will hinder construction. Same for the strips and dowels which were contained with rubber bands on the ends. I believe they too are salvageable. They have offered it to me yesterday but today whenI went to pick it up they kind of backed off giving it to me. They have no idea what price they want to charge me for it. Any one familiar with this kit.  What would its value be. His wife paid $100 for it from a hobby store back then. 

model - 1.jpeg

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

The question is, what is the kit worth to you? The kit is a paperweight to them at the moment regardless of what they paid for it 20 years ago.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

If you want to build it, I think $75 would be a fair offer.  You might mention the the wood is probably dry and brittle and may need to be replaced to be able to build the kit.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I do not believe that the situation where  AAMM has a monograph of this vessel is a coincidence.

My guess is that the AAMM plans were used to develop the kit and that royalties were paid.

Now almost all wooden sail AAMM monographs are drawn with a eye toward laminated carved hull.

They have a Body plan, so POB is easy enough to derive from it.

Once you get beyond hull fabrication, the monograph contains more than enough detail and is probably better than the plans that come with the kit.  The scale is 1:75  The data is on a large and crowded sheet.  It is all "What".  There is no "How".   Besides this site, there are more than a few books, and three journals available as CDs here that more than cover the "How".

We have wooden houses and many other wooden objects that are at least hundreds of years old.  There are trees that are hundreds of years old.  Wood is a polymer, but unlike man-made synthetic polymers, it does not get all that brittle with age. Too much moisture or direct UV over time will degrade it, but if the wood in an old kit is brittle or fragile, then this probably is because the species of wood and plywood quality supplied was crap to begin with.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Were their kits any better back then than they are now?  If they were just as bad back then as they are now, why pay anything?

Allan 

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

9 hours ago, Jaager said:

We have wooden houses and many other wooden objects that are at least hundreds of years old.

Most of the wood in those houses and objects is not on the order of .5 - 1.5mm thick

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Bill,

With a few notable exceptions, most of us building ship models are old enough where time is more precious than money.  A related concern is “What am I going to do with my models when I am no longer able to house and care for them?”  For many, the dumpster awaits.

If I were considering this kit, I would ask myself a few questions:

Does the subject matter really excite me?

Do I want to commit time to building this model that could be spent building something else?

Is the quality of the kit such that it will produce a model that I will be proud of?

Do I have space to display it, or do I know someone else who would like it?

If the answer to any one of these questions is no, I would advise them to list it on eBay.

Roger

2 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Bill,

With a few notable exceptions, most of us building ship models are old enough where time is more precious than money.  A related concern is “What am I going to do with my models when I am no longer able to house and care for them?”  For many, the dumpster awaits.

If I were considering this kit, I would ask myself a few questions:

Does the subject matter really excite me?

Do I want to commit time to building this model that could be spent building something else?

Is the quality of the kit such that it will produce a model that I will be proud of?

Do I have space to display it, or do I know someone else who would like it?

If the answer to any one of these questions is no, I would advise them to list it on eBay.

Roger

Thank you Roger,  You make some good points. However at 90 1/2 years old there is always the possibility that anything I start may not be completed. However I do not think sitting and looking out a window till death comes is an alternative for me. I have to be building something with my hands even though they to aren't working as well for me as in the past. Since 1975 the majority of my income was from making miniatures and model horse drawn vehicles, tin ware and furniture from scratch. Each time I started a project I build extra bodies etc. in case I need to make another one. I just dumped a whole box of unfinished projects. I do not become attached to them when I build them. Scratch building would be my preference but researching, gathering material and accessories would be very time consuming. There are other ship mode kits I would rather build but the prices are way beyond my pocketbook. I  will buy the kit if the price is reasonable.  I see this kit as a basic platform to start from. Just from looking through the plans I can see lots of room for improving much of the detail. 

Edited by Bill Hudson

Hello Bill, 

I say, if you like the kit, buy it, build it, make your neighbor jealous that he didn't build it when he sees your completed model!

My first kits were Artesania Latina. The same is true for many others here. Kits all have their issues, none are perfect, but that doesn't have to keep you from having a great time building it. I find that Artesania Latina kits actually go together quite well, though I have no information on that particular one.

If you have any questions as you're building it, you can always ask for advice on this forum.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Bill, here is the link from AL with the plans for download.

There are four of them.
You need to download the jpg's and save to a thumb drive, then take it to a print shop.

They will be able to print them at 100% as the pre-view are at approx. 30% 

Good luck with the build.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thank you all for the good and welcomed feedback. I m not jumping right on this kit. I  want to do  more research on this ship. Not finding much especially picture of it. The castings are fairly good. But metal castings were made to use in place of wood for simplicity. I will remake those in wood. The cannon carriages are a joke. Very flimsy.  I will build proper gun carriages from wood. The blocks appear to be plastic but are good castings so I (at this point in time) will not try to replace them by making them all from wood. I will put the kit on a shelf in a closet and ponder it some before starting the building. I still have the the Amazon (Marie Celeste) on my work bench to finish. I think I will do minimum rigging on it.  My son says he is not interested in having it soI don't see a reason to get too far into the rigging. Maybe I can sellout air a garage sale. I also have several orders for miniature tin ware to fill. (can use the income).