Beginner looking to start building, In the USA

lstmysock11

Located in Virginia about half way between DC and Richmond. Looking to get into Wooden ship building but have never attempted a model build like this before. Good kits to look at that wont break the bank. Also nothing to small as I have big fingers and the eye sight is not what it used to be, Nothing to big as only have so much room lol. Also What tools and good places to find them?

Andrew

Hi Andrew - Welcome to MSW!

I see that you're considering the Columbu ships or WW2 but I would toss Vanguard models (https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product-category/vanguard-model-kits/) into the mix. These are unfortunately a little more expensive than you probably were thinking for an initial kit, but  makes some great kits (I built the Alert kit) and would heartily recommend them as a manufacturer. The fishing vessels would probably be a good first kit to start with. FYI - Ages of Sail (https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/new-vanguard-models.html?limit=36) is a US distributor for them.

I apologize for suggesting something that doesn't exactly meet your thread (inexpensive and Columbus/WWII) but I think there's a high chance of success with these kits which might be worth a peek.

57 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Hi Andrew - Welcome to MSW!

I see that you're considering the Columbu ships or WW2 but I would toss Vanguard models (https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product-category/vanguard-model-kits/) into the mix. These are unfortunately a little more expensive than you probably were thinking for an initial kit, but  makes some great kits (I built the Alert kit) and would heartily recommend them as a manufacturer. The fishing vessels would probably be a good first kit to start with. FYI - Ages of Sail (https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/new-vanguard-models.html?limit=36) is a US distributor for them.

I apologize for suggesting something that doesn't exactly meet your thread (inexpensive and Columbus/WWII) but I think there's a high chance of success with these kits which might be worth a peek.

Thank you I will check these out

57 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Welcome to MSW, Andrew.   The Model Expo Shipwright Series has been getting good reviews.  It's set up to start "simple" and then add complexity.  

https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-Series_c_815.html

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mysock

Do take Mark's advice on the three vessel series designed by David Antscherl. You will learn proper techniques while honing your skills.  The complete set is not too expensive and you do not need a shop full of power tools.    Also consider starting a small library of books as you move along.  There are hundreds, but probably a half dozen that will serve you well.  If you ask you will get lots of feedback on these based on years of experience from the members here.   Study the build logs here at MSW before spending your money and wasting your time on poor quality offerings.  There are several good kit makers, and a lot that are not.   Look at the photos in the logs of the vessel you choose then do some research on it including comparing them to contemporary plans and photos of contemporary models which are often available at no cost.  If you have not already done so, read the forum here on Piracy so you do not unwittingly spend your money on stolen property which unfortunately is abundant and readily available.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 8/11/2022 at 12:16 PM, lstmysock11 said:

one of the ships that Columbus sailed with or any ww2 ships in wood kits

Andrew,

Welcome aboard.   The part of antecedents that I identify with are from Braynefield in Caroline Co. 

From the subjects that are enticing you, I think that you will find this to be huge planet that is different from what you were expecting.  At least you do not have to overcome the effects of deceptive and manipulative advertising for inappropriate and complex sailing warship.  If you can hold tools, big fingers are no problem.  An Optivisor can solve a focus problem.  I will have to get back to you if it is cataracts.  I am on the beach until mine get fixed. 

Opinion: 

Columbus - no actual plans - everything is a best guess - much may be pure fantasy -  I would suggest serious research before entering.

WWII -  steel is better represented by plastic as modeling material.   It requires serious skills in finish painting to simulate steel from a wood surface.  

Starting with an open boat is never a bad choice.   The large sailing ships all carried open boats that will want modeling.  Knowing what they are about is a big leg up.  You are not that far from The Bay and it is all about boats and fishing vessels.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Good call Andrew. A good thing with Model Shipways is the instructions are usually good and easily understandable. As you move to other kits (especially those from the EU) you will find that a lot of instructions are in another language, usually with a secondary booklet with a translation to English. These can be very frustrating to work with. Something you don't need on your first build.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

After the Dory and the two other beginner kits what is a good kit to look at? Would love to at some point build one of the tall ships but not sure what one. Possibly one can get in sections so do not have to lay out several hundred dollars at once to buy the kit. Not sure how many have kits that you can buy like that.

Andrew

https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/hms-winchelsea-1764.php

Chuck has closed the store for a few weeks or so, but will be open again long before you are ready so no worries.   This MAY be the answer for you.  The quality is top shelf.    I don't think anyone else does installments, but if they do, I am sure some member will let you know.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 hours ago, allanyed said:

https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/hms-winchelsea-1764.php

Chuck has closed the store for a few weeks or so, but will be open again long before you are ready so no worries.   This MAY be the answer for you.  The quality is top shelf.    I don't think anyone else does installments, but if they do, I am sure some member will let you know.

Allan

Hi Allan

thank you for this info :) Little hesitant on his models since they do require some scratch building. Do they come with the drawnings of the parts I would need to make that are not included? Or information out there on how to make the parts not included?

18 minutes ago, lstmysock11 said:

Do they come with the drawings of the parts I would need to make that are not included?

I have no idea, but look at the build logs, they may shed some light on this.   https://modelshipworld.com/forum/92-member-build-logs-for-the-hms-winchelsea/    We all have budget constraints, but the old adage that you get what you pay for holds true.  There are some really good kits and there is a lot of junk available which yield something more akin to a toy than a real ship.   As the Grail Knight said to Walter Donvan, choose wisely........

Allan

Ship models are long term projects and it can be difficult to keep up interest.  In my opinion it is therefore important to work on something that interests you.  While I agree that the beginner’s kits are a good way to learn fundamentals, there is little point to buying a fishing boat kit if fishing boats don’t interest you.

I also agree with Jaager that steel hulled ships are difficult to model.   See examples in the scratch building logs 1900 and Later.  I am building a model of the steel hulled Benjamin Noble Great Lakes Freighter and it’s slow going!

So, if you’re interested in World War II, why not build a wooden hulled World War II vessel. PT Boats, small landing craft, warship’s boats were all wooden hulled.  This means that you will be scratch building but if you have basic woodworking skills and a reasonable understanding of geometric relationships construction of a PT boat using craft plywood should be doable.

Roger

Andrew, 

If you'll to the top any page and find "Group Projects", you'll see a link to the Winchelsea.  Once you pay a small fee to join the group, there's tons of info (instructions) you can download.

Also, I suggest you do a Intro in the Introduction area  and when ready to build a model, start a log.  Both are good ways to meet others and a log is the best way to get help and advice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Ship models are long term projects and it can be difficult to keep up interest.  In my opinion it is therefore important to work on something that interests you.  While I agree that the beginner’s kits are a good way to learn fundamentals, there is little point to buying a fishing boat kit if fishing boats don’t interest you.

I also agree with Jaager that steel hulled ships are difficult to model.   See examples in the scratch building logs 1900 and Later.  I am building a model of the steel hulled Benjamin Noble Great Lakes Freighter and it’s slow going!

So, if you’re interested in World War II, why not build a wooden hulled World War II vessel. PT Boats, small landing craft, warship’s boats were all wooden hulled.  This means that you will be scratch building but if you have basic woodworking skills and a reasonable understanding of geometric relationships construction of a PT boat using craft plywood should be doable.

Roger

Scratch building a PT boat is a interesting idea but I have never scratch build anything and with out some sort of kit to guide me. Well I would not know where to start.

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

I have no idea, but look at the build logs, they may shed some light on this.   https://modelshipworld.com/forum/92-member-build-logs-for-the-hms-winchelsea/    We all have budget constraints, but the old adage that you get what you pay for holds true.  There are some really good kits and there is a lot of junk available which yield something more akin to a toy than a real ship.   As the Grail Knight said to Walter Donvan, choose wisely........

Allan

Any idea what these installments cost? No idea since his store is offline at the moment but would be nice to know about what they cost. Also I see people using some kind of jig to hold up their work as they start to build. What jig is that and where to find?

Andrew

Hi Andrew, further to what Roger suggested with the PT Boat, Dumas makes a nice looking PT109. There is a build log by “popeye the sailor “ on this site. It looks really nice. Probably get it for under 200USD if Model Expo has a sale

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

1 hour ago, Paul Le Wol said:

Hi Andrew, further to what Roger suggested with the PT Boat, Dumas makes a nice looking PT109. There is a build log by “popeye the sailor “ on this site. It looks really nice. Probably get it for under 200USD if Model Expo has a sale

Thank you

How often do they have a sale? Looks like that guy got his for like 148 at some hobby store, Lucky find.

They had a big sale recently. There’ll be more. Just have to keep an eye out. Good luck with your search

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

If you find you like the Model Shipways kit there are several options for the "next build". Pride of Baltimore, Rattlesnake, Niagra (my first build), Confederacy for starters. All of these have many build logs for reference and many of those authors are still online at MSW so you can PM directly.

Another option to get a taste of a complete build without having to dedicate months to planking or rigging is the cutaway builds. They just take a slice out of a boat that includes the under decks, main deck and usually 1 mast with all the rigging. These are some of my favs. They take up very little space for display.

There are a lot of others out there, but as I mentioned earlier, be ready for 3rd world instructions.

Lastly, I get a little worried when I see builders worrying about the next build when they haven't started the kit on the bench. I say this from personal experience. During my first build which lasted about 2 years, I ended up buying multiple "next" kits and tools. If I lived to be 150 I would not finish all the kits I bought. So just be careful!

Edited by mikiek

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

5 hours ago, mikiek said:

If you find you like the Model Shipways kit there are several options for the "next build". Pride of Baltimore, Rattlesnake, Niagra (my first build), Confederacy for starters. All of these have many build logs for reference and many of those authors are still online at MSW so you can PM directly.

Another option to get a taste of a complete build without having to dedicate months to planking or rigging is the cutaway builds. They just take a slice out of a boat that includes the under decks, main deck and usually 1 mast with all the rigging. These are some of my favs. They take up very little space for display.

There are a lot of others out there, but as I mentioned earlier, be ready for 3rd world instructions.

Lastly, I get a little worried when I see builders worrying about the next build when they haven't started the kit on the bench. I say this from personal experience. During my first build which lasted about 2 years, I ended up buying multiple "next" kits and tools. If I lived to be 150 I would not finish all the kits I bought. So just be careful!

Thank you, Just looked on Model shipways the only one that I can not seem to find is the Niagra in a search for the kit. Maybe the stopped making it?

When asked this question, I usually recommend one particular model and that is the Model Shipways Bluenose. It's fairly inexpensive, won't require a bunch of tools, minimal rigging and the most important part is the shape of the hull, which is an arrow shape and due to the shape, one of the easiest hulls to plank. I think everyone on here will attest to hull planking as being one of the most difficult if not the most difficult part of model ship and boat building and the second would be rigging.

As far as tools go, here is my go to list:

Rotary tool (I use daily)

small brass hammer

mini needle nose pliers

mini cutting pliers

hand drill

Good assortment of micro drill bits as well as standard drill bits

and a coping saw

Materials:

A good CA glue I use mainly medium viscocity and thin viscocity in some areas (and a lot of it)

A good CA glue kicker

small mini clamps

push pins

mini square (or make your own)

a bunch of sand paper from 80 grit to 600 grit

KEEL CLAMP = I highlighted this because all the tools in the world can't overcome a twisted and warped keel. I usually make my own with 1"x2" wood boards and screws.

There are a ton of other stuff, but this would get you started. 

With the above tools, I can build any ship or boat models and have, which at present, I'm closing in on 200 models from boats, ships, planes and a few automobiles, which include wood and plastic. 

45 minutes ago, mtdoramike said:

When asked this question, I usually recommend one particular model and that is the Model Shipways Bluenose. It's fairly inexpensive, won't require a bunch of tools, minimal rigging and the most important part is the shape of the hull, which is an arrow shape and due to the shape, one of the easiest hulls to plank. I think everyone on here will attest to hull planking as being one of the most difficult if not the most difficult part of model ship and boat building and the second would be rigging.

small brass hammer

mini needle nose pliers

mini cutting pliers

hand drill

and a coping saw

Materials:

A good CA glue I use mainly medium viscocity and thin viscocity in some areas (and a lot of it)

A good CA glue kicker

small mini clamps

push pins

KEEL CLAMP = I highlighted this because all the tools in the world can't overcome a twisted and warped keel. I usually make my own with 1"x2" wood boards and screws.

With the above tools, I can build any ship or boat models and have, which at present, I'm closing in on 200 models from boats, ships, planes and a few automobiles, which include wood and plastic. 

Can you recommend a good keel clamp? One I can Order in the us?

4 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

small brass hammer

mini needle nose pliers

mini cutting pliers

hand drill

and a coping saw

Materials:

A good CA glue kicker

small mini clamps

push pins

blue nose 1/100 or 1/65? https://modelexpo-online.com/search.asp?keyword=bluenose, Several come up in the search