Nereide by MICHELE PADOAN - scala 1/48

Thank you very much Gérard. I found your comments very informative, and the most surprising was your statement that J.-C. Lemineur adapted vertical sections of another ship to make his plans of La Néréïde. This explains much, as until now I have assumed that he has reconstructed the whole hull shape basing on the main frame profile as shown on the original plans/sections of La Néréïde (he had already made a similar try while reconstructing the frigate Le François 1683).

Indeed, all the frigate plans show these visually very attractive forecastle 'wings', but only very few of those 'wings' are as much large as in this case, which made me curious. Now it is clear... Thanks again.

Below are all the pictures showing step by step how I proceed to build the subdivision. As the various baglietti are assembled, the paiolates, bulkheads and their respective uprights are placed and nailed together to form the various stores in the hold. Each part is thought out and constructed in such a way as to make everything as visible as possible. Everything is then treated with shellac and bitumen.

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6979.JPG

IMG_6977.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_6990.JPG

IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_7054.JPG

IMG_7055.JPG

IMG_7059.JPG

IMG_7063.JPG

IMG_7068.JPG

IMG_7073.JPG

IMG_7075.JPG

IMG_7076.JPG

IMG_7077.JPG

IMG_7089.JPG

IMG_7090.JPG

IMG_7104.JPG

IMG_7116.JPG

IMG_7149.JPG

IMG_7155.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7211.JPG

IMG_7216.JPG

IMG_7225.JPG

Gérard, we are very happy to have a top expert like you on this forum, who have created the world's best and the most reliable ships' plans available.

Not sure if I may, but you have also stated the striking news that you have started a monograph of La Néréïde a few years ago. Should we expect two monographs on this ship? Or perhaps you collaborate with J.-C. Lemineur? Or do you work on another monograph now? Or something else? Apologies if my questions are too indiscreet.

Hello Waldemar

I stopped the elaboration of the monograph of La Néréïde because of the lack of the vertical section plan. I had adapted the sections of a similar ship, Le Jazon, and I had drawn all the frames and a little more. The idea that these were not the sections of La Néréïde bothered me a little and affected the rigor with which I work. On the other hand, monographs of this type of vessel are always somewhat identical. This is why I worked on Le Rochefort or the harbor dredger, which are more original and renew the subject a little.
I put this project on hold while waiting to find sources that would have satisfied me. In the meantime, I worked on other projects that gave me much satisfaction.
So there will not be two monographs and I am not collaborating with JCL, we do not have the same conception of this type of work.
I would like to take this opportunity to announce a (very) big preview of a new monograph to come, that of a privateer four-masted ship, the first modern four-masted ship of 1799, that is to say, very much ahead of those of the 1850s.

Michele, sorry for the drift of the subject.

GD 

Gérard,

So many important and excellent news in your post, thank you very much for them. However, I would try to talk on La Néréïde only, to not risk pushing Michele into the discomfort area 🙂. And the hopes are that Michele would be interested too.

Okay – while it is true that La Néréïde main vertical section is quite similar to that of Le Jazon, why not to try to reconstruct the whole hull shape of La Néréïde basing on the known conceptual methods from this period, so splendidly explained by Jean Boudriot in his works? Provided of course that such an attempt would suit the highest rigours of your work. It must be said that it is always some arbitrary choices are simply inevitable in such reconstructions anyway.

And the reconstruction of the hull shape by contemporary methods, especially those of B. Ollivier, known to us after all, could be much satisfying and even better than that done for Le François 1683. In this place I must explain that IMHO, while J.-C. Lemineur made an excellent overall job, I am not quite happy with his choice of the curve of the greatest breadth forward in plan (tracé de la lisse du fort avant en plan) and the non-tangential arcs of vertical sections at the height of the greatest breadth line. And I suspect that the general approach adopted would be too detailed and too complex for the 17th century craftsmen/shipbuilders.

Having said this, I am waiting impatiently for the monograph of La Néréïde, which is now so beautifully executed by Michele. I expect to find there detailed answers on the so much interesting issue of La Néréïde hull shaping.

6 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Okay – while it is true that La Néréïde main vertical section is quite similar to that of Le Jazon, why not to try to reconstruct the whole hull shape of La Néréïde basing on the known conceptual methods from this period, so splendidly explained by Jean Boudriot in his works? Provided of course that such an attempt would suit the highest rigours of your work. It must be said that it is always some arbitrary choices are simply inevitable in such reconstructions anyway.

I don't know what JCL's working methods are, but I personally much prefer to use the existing plans, which are always accurate, clear and precise. The methods described by the master builders of the time are often confusing and full of uncertainties and unsaid things. The choice is quickly made.

24 minutes ago, G. Delacroix said:

I don't know what JCL's working methods are, but I personally much prefer to use the existing plans, which are always accurate, clear and precise. The methods described by the master builders of the time are often confusing and full of uncertainties and unsaid things. The choice is quickly made.

I see and am not pressing the issue further. I would only add that you are very lucky to have so many contemporary plans to work with. Thank you very much for your reply, Gérard.

20 hours ago, druxey said:

I understand the generation of the curve aft from '1', but how do you define the curve from '1' to the stem?

Druxey, you received a reply, however I later decided to delete my posts regarding this curve, sorry. After all, this is a forum mainly for ship modellers and not geometry enthusiasts or analysts.

Edited by Waldemar

On 9/12/2022 at 8:17 AM, Waldemar said:

Druxey, you received a reply, however I later decided to delete my posts regarding this curve, sorry. After all, this is a forum mainly for ship modellers and not geometry enthusiasts or analysts.

Why presume that this is not of general interest to the forum?  A good many of us are interested in both the how and why.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

That is incredible!

What did you make the center clear piece of?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me