The Mayflower by Knocklouder - Amati - 1:60

Well today is box opening day,  I have peeked a few times thought. Lol.

I chose this Amati Mayflower model because of wood work and overall look. Many of the Mayflowers I looked at are Mayflower ll, they seem to have a lot of colours  on them,  for me its a bit too flashy  for my likes. I dont see any other Amati Mayflowers logs so this will be my attempt to build one. It is so good to know  if I run into any problems MSW will have the answers, slowly and I mean slowly  getting  to know my computer and how it work here on MSW.. Thanks ever so much !!!!!! 

Well got to go set things up for the build wish me luck lol ,one thing I noticed was that there was two bags full of dead eyes LOL the fun never stops . This hobby is so much fun ,does everyone  get excited  on box opening day  then build days then finishing day, then NEW kit day lol  😆  

Again  thanks MSW for steering me in the right direction  so glad to be a small part,  see you buddy's  got ships to build 

20221112_135749.jpg

20221112_143052.jpg

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Good evening,  I took all the bulkheads and keel,tried to fit them together  only bulk head 14 fit. I ran a drill bit up and down all the bulk heads and keel, they fit now lol. So I glued them all together,  squared them up added deck support  and called it a day,  So far so good , Game on.Later my friend's :cheers:

20221112_155036.jpg

20221112_210247.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

looking forward to more progress 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ahoy,this is a fun build so far lol. It going together nicely. I Did the decks then blacking some deck planks with a black marker . Next came the sides ,lots of glue and clamps but she on lol.

20221113_142100.jpg

20221114_105406.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder

20221114_192254.thumb.jpg.c60db8662531f15dc8e67c803edef707.jpgThis is where I am right now just getting ready to start plaking the lower hull. After I watch  Chucks video  on plaking again.  I see the Speedwell is coming along, He must be so excited about it, I was when I started the Mayflower, this will be my first plank on bulk heads  Pob.  Lol

Well get to try my new Amati plank Bender , the bow on the  Mayflower  is quite rounded this will be fun .I let you know how it goes .  Ok later my friend's :cheers:

20221114_132959.jpg

20221114_191908.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Well yesterday I stain the deck today I scraped it off. Lol  But I think it turn out ok Also I threw a bunch of Gorilla glue on the stren  but it  cleaned up well too  ,,  lol  :cheers:

20221115_095222.jpg

20221115_111056.jpg

20221115_134800.jpg

20221115_143610.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typos

:piratebo5:.  The decks turned out great, the reason I had to redo them was because I used this marker for the planks  it bleed though the sealer ugly mess. So I moved  on to the hull planking.  The new plank bender works really well. It so nice to bend the planks to the right shape before glueing them. The planks should just stick on but as soon as you  glue it  you feel like a surgeon  asking for more clamps, more clamps, Lol  😆   Planking POB,is not all that  bad I was worried about it. But it is preceding nicely, soon I will be below the paint line so  mistakes can be covered  lol.  You wonder why you paint this nice wood when finished but I understand it is because of some worm that ate the wood, Number one reason for painting Protection!!!  Well this is were I am at now so post when I get to the keel lol . 

Thanks for the likes and help  !!!!! 

Bob M.

20221115_223227.thumb.jpg.f258a719598b56ba70c74d8727061e68.jpg

20221116_160932.jpg

20221115_223233.jpg

20221116_160506.jpg

20221116_151526.jpg

20221115_223227.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

2 hours ago, Dave_E said:

You’re not trying to set some sorta speed record are you? 😆 I’m in. 🍿🥤

lol no its  just going good. But now planking is slow!!!

Edited by Knocklouder

Well this is what it looked like yesterday 🤭.

20221118_004321.jpg

20221118_004303.jpg

20221118_004444.jpg

And this is what it looked like today shees, I punched a hole with the back end of my 10 blade as I was applying pressure to the planks bang right though.  Well at least I can fix it . This is such a fun  build, I am having way to much fun.lol  Anyway it going good despite the set back.Talk soon

Bob M.

20221119_145600.jpg

20221119_145544.jpg

Fast 😉 and nice work 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

14 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Planking is looking good!

I respectfully disagree. There will be problems as the bulkheads are not marked out for the proper width of the planks.  The width of the strakes is dynamic from stem to stern but these appear to be the same width their entire length. 

Bob,  I realize most kits do not show proper planking techniques but if you have not already done so, study the videos by Chuck Passaro on how to plank a hull.  It will help to wind up with a high quality realistic planking of your hull.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello,  Dave_E this is my plank bending station.  I just heated it up and in seconds after it gets hot, have four bent all ready to reattach them. Well it is hot I bent a few for each side, just before I start to install the planks I use a heat gun to reheat and glue them in place, works for me.

As for planking the right way I am still learning,  I have a very  hard time reading and writing, add numbers to the equation and I am lost. I have to do it Frist  then make the corrections if needed, I won't let my lack of  reading  ,writing, and math stop me from having this much fun,yes my ship won't be historical correct,  and they won't be put together  right either  lol but they are mine and I love them lol  My MSW friend Louie da  fly told me awhile ago as time goes by you don't see your  little mistakes anymore  just a fine model and he was right. I still get goosebumps when I look at my Santa Maria  lol 😆 .

So I am starting to  fix the Mayflower and finish the planking then paint the bottom  white and seal the rest post when I get to that point. Have fun my friends ,talk soon I am sure Lol   😆 :bird-vi:

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

3 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

Hello,  Dave this is my plank bending station.  I just heated it up and in seconds after it gets hot, have four bent all ready to reattach them. Well it is hot I bent a few for each side, just before I start to install the planks I use a heat gun to reheat and glue them in place, works for me.

As for planking the right way I am still learning,  I have a very  hard time reading and writing, add numbers to the equation and I am lost. I have to do it Frist  then make the corrections if needed, I won't let my lack of  reading  ,writing, and math stop me from having this much fun,yes my ship won't be historical correct,  and they won't be put together  right either  lol but they mine and I love them lol  My MSW friend Louie da  fly told me awhile ago as time goes by you don't see your mistakes anymore  just a fine model and he was right. I still get goosebumps when I look at my Santa Maria  lol 😆 .

So I am starting to  fix the Mayflower and finish the planking then paint the bottom  white and seal the rest post when I get to that point. Have fun my friends ,talk soon I am sure Lol   😆 :bird-vi:

Guess I  should add the pictures  lol

20221122_100846.jpg

20221122_101401.jpg

20221122_102920.jpg

20221122_102928.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder

13 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

Guess I  should add the pictures  lol

20221122_100846.jpg

20221122_101401.jpg

20221122_102920.jpg

20221122_102928.jpg

You have a cozy workplace for your hobby 

Regards, Patrick

29 minutes ago, Baker said:

You have a cozy workplace for your hobby 

Thanks this is what it looks like lol

20221122_112645.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Well I got to  where I wanted to be it's only primer on the bottom. I wanted to make  a water line but the space between the whalers and the white was to narrow, and I did not think it was worth the effort. So I drew the bottom  whaler line on and went in the middle.We will see how it lines up later lol I still have some filling to do but not that much . This really is a fun model but as I look up on the self the crew of the Pinta calls lol, How quickly they forget they  had a mutiny , kick the builder out and hired a better one .  So they can wait Lol .  Well look at the time I am on the night shift lol Good night and Thanks for everyone's help and likes, 

20221126_021209.jpg

20221125_172519.jpg

20221125_233032.jpg

20221126_015009.jpg

20221126_014953.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
More info

Looking good! That NHL rug brings back childhood memories from 1971 living in Sault Ste Marie watching Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday. Bruins, Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Flyers, Redwings… what an era! 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Yes the original six were the best, I always been a Blackhawks fan, but cheer for the Winnipeg Jets,mostly if they are not playing the Hawks. LOL.

I have finished coating the bottom hull,and temporarily put it on the stand to see what it would look like. I like it. Now more planking, the top half of the hull has thinner  strips, once those are on I  will seal it all with shellac sealer. Then on to the bow,that looks like fun I can't wait.:dancetl6: 

20221127_100109.jpg

20221126_222637.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
More info

This model is so much fun, on to the port side. It is coming along nicely I think, for anyone who makes this one I would block the first 3 bulkheads and the last 3 as well. I read that after I finished my planking that it helps keep its shape, next one lol.

I  really need to learn how to plank right , The Pegasus is coming up, and I want that one to be just right, not it will do stuff that I am making now  lol

This kit for those who can plank better than I can is amazing.  You get to bend planks on just  the bulkheads I much prefer  two layers of planking. And I only started on the 12 th of November  I am scaring my self  🙃 😅.  See you when the other side is finished  :10_1_10:

Bob M.

20221129_170702.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

1 minute ago, HardeeHarHar said:

Looking good and record speed too!

It's the kit lol

:piratebo5: Well I have made this stand for my Mayflower, and put it on.  I made a few mistakes  but it will do. That famous  line comes to mind  Next ship. Lol .

Planking is finished,  sealed and mounted. And I like it!!. 

The buffffet is my new model  stand, I think I can get the three Columbus  and the Mayflower, not sure if the Viking  long boat will fit in there to but we will see lots of time before that. The  green carpet will go and I will come up with something better.  The Sea of Galalie boat  will go behind the curtain, I will add a plexiglass  front. As for the Pegasus,  it will get its own case and replace our flowers here.

Having way to much fun building this ship. And now all the fun stuff,doors ladders, little life boat,up until the rigging,  seizing,and sails lol 

Well thats it for now, 

ps  Chuck I tried, maybe next time 😆 

Happy modeling everyone :cheers:

20221201_090303.jpg

20221126_183011.jpg

20221201_083900.jpg

20221201_084114.jpg

20221201_084125.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Having fun, doing good work, and building things you can be proud of….a perfect trifecta! 

40 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

Having fun, doing good work, and building things you can be proud of….a perfect trifecta! 

You know I had to look up Trifecta lol

2 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

You know I had to look up Trifecta lol

Lol, well its a good thing to learn a new word every now and again.  The next challenge is for you to use it in a sentence! 😃