The Mayflower by Knocklouder- FINISHED - Amati - 1:60

Well not much to post,  started the bow, and the capping of the hand rail. It all looked good when finished, but today the port side handrail has lifted, I will just patch  and paint that part,because it's to much to take it all apart. I will fix it lol.

My worries are that  MSW and the NRG will band me pretty soon as I can't seem to do things historical correct, LOL.

I am finding a few mistakes  in the plan, again the picture on the box , the plan it self and building instructions  are all different.  Big  problems  for someone who has to look at pictures to see how its done. As well  there are parts missing,  but I can make those,  they are for the  the anchor lines. Small parts,  but they aren't there lol.

Now I have to put those tiny little  1×1 on the sides . Talk soon take care everyone  stay safe.20221203_205722.thumb.jpg.906dfdaf48903b9089667b0d23f1a366.jpg

20221203_205344.jpg

20221203_205118.jpg

20221203_001726.jpg

20221203_001716.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

You're doing just fine, mate.  I know the challenges of building a kit that has variations form 'reality' ... as the Vasa exists nearly fully restored in a Swockholm museum - so we KNOW what the original looked like ... and I'll have to 'bodge' through as best as I can, given the work already done in my youth.  In the case of the Mayflower (also true of the Golden Hind and other ships of that era), we DON'T know what is 'right' or 'wrong' because we do not have the originals, there are no photographs (not invented yet) and the artwork is often conjectural.  You are certainly free to exercise some leeway in artistic license.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

well done.

indeed, with models like the Mayflower and the Golden Hind, no one can say you made a mistake. but you can never claim that you are doing it the right way.

Haha 😉.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bob, what Patrick said.    Can't argue if there's no proof.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pulling up a chair now to enjoy your progress. I have the MS version teed up for my next build. Thanks for sharing!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Well the machine is frozen, -27 with the wind chill, snowing and someone forgot to plug in the diesel tractor . They won't start if not plugged in , mine anyway  lol.

So guess it's a model day lol. Cutting up peices for the Mainrail, and cap. Hopeing to get that done today.  Talk soon stay warm my friends. lol

20221206_122352.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

1 hour ago, Knocklouder said:

Well the machine is frozen, -27 with the wind chill, snowing and someone forgot to plug in the diesel tractor in. They won't start if not plugged in , mine anyway  lol.

So guess it's a model day lol. Cutting up peices for the Mainrail, and cap. Hopeing to get that done today.  Talk soon stay warm my friends. lol

20221206_122352.jpg

keep warm and carry-on building

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good day!! It's-39 c - 40f. Yep another model day brrrrr!!!🥶.

I did not get finished with  my Mainrail and capping. Life and a hockey game got on the way. But today I will finish it. I pre cut all the 2x2  according to the plan, most went on ok but 25% needed to be re-done to fit as small discrepancy  are showing up A twist here and there nothing serious . 

I made this little spacer and went to town..I feel  that it going OK starting  to take shape, Once the rails are done I will be starting  to make the doors and ladders,  got a pretty good ideal how I will make them. But I  going to paint them differently from the plan,  All right stay Warm my friend's 

Bob M.:cheers:

20221206_231218.jpg

20221207_001750.jpg

20221206_140326.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
More info

Don't  you just love cold days. LOL   I figured I would brush some polyurethane  clear satin on the deck and hand rail that are done weee. 

Some of the 2x2 were higher then others. I don't under stand how that happened,  I measured  once cussed twice boom. But l clamped on a plank and Dremel took care of the rest. Took some pictures now letting it dry for the night. And now I will start on the doors. It's been a fun build so far,  Differently need to learn  how to plank,  also this is where I should say look in MSW data  base for how to  do that ,for any new comer who wants to do it right.

Well on to the doors and stairs, oohhh maybe I will start the masts lol.  Have fun my friends:cheers:

20221207_181935.jpg

20221207_154722.jpg

20221207_175248.jpg

20221207_180109.jpg

20221207_182240.jpg

20221207_183022.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
You guessed it.

No need to look... here's a direct link:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/

You're doing some beautiful work on this model.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes thank you,!!! I was going to ask how to do that,  I have figured it out.  The next model I will,read it again, then line off the hull, make four section, then get my grandson  to do the math for me,  How to make 29 planks whittle down to 18 how much to take off , he  will figure it out for me , wait for it, Next ship lol  😆 

So I made my doors, and of course  I  had to see what they look like what's you think

Hinges and Handel's tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the likes and help, scene  this is the only Amati  Mayflower log I better do a good job lol:10_1_10: 20221207_232042.thumb.jpg.d016d93fb626b8d9906bec973ede86c4.jpg

20221207_231040.jpg

20221207_232020.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

For whom the Bell Tolls!! Man was that Bell hard to do, mostly because of huge fingers lol . I just placed it there for now . I finished my doors and stairs  today as well, waiting for them to dry but I had to see what they would look like  lol. 

Well on a sad note will be putting  everything away for awhile. My Frist  Mate, and the love of my life, mother is very ill an not going to pull through. 😪  so I will be taking her home in Saskatchewan  and will be gone awhile, we have no ideal how long so I am packing it in for awhile to be with her.  I will return  lol.  later my friends.

20221208_160119.jpg

20221208_144147.jpg

20221208_144258.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Hi Bob, my parents and in-laws have long passed but I still think of them every day. Those memories are the gift you will receive every day. See you when you get back 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Have a safe trip, Bob and may you and the admiral find some strength and peace by just being there.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sorry to hear this Bob. Will be thinking of your wife and you.  Be safe.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hello,  the first Mate  thanks everyone for their thoughts and prayers. As do I , we will be leaving soon and I have put everything on the self. They look the same so I made some signs to know the difference  lol. Also made some for the three Columbus  ships.whats you think??

As many of you know we recently  lost a member Rafine, I was about to make the inside of my life boat , the way the plan showed , on the day I received the news, then my mother in law. I could not do it , so I wrote their names and the dates of there passing along with a note to each and turn it upside down and painted it free hand, I will super glue it in place when the time comes. My fair well to both.

Stay safe my friends,  see you when we get back, again thanks for making us feel like we are part of the community  I really feel blessed   Thank you.

Bob M and the first mate. 

20221208_192606.jpg

20221210_170508.jpg

20221210_170711.jpg

20221209_161957.jpg

20221209_161811.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
More info

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone.  Today I resumed my Mayflower,  going back to the start of the build to do things that I knew I could put off until later, like the gun ports. I ran into a few problems finishing  the Pinta because of, ok I do that later lol. 

Because there was a pause in this build I got side tracked, I did a Hannah ship in the bottle   that turn out well. Also a couple of Metal models, The Queen Anne's Revenge  which turn out ok. But the Iron Star Viking metal model was a failure for me. To tiny to thin,  unforgiving  little ship so I chucked it.  After that I really want to start my Nina model  but this Mayflower is so much fun I have to finish it.

So Back to work lol. I decide to start at the beginning and , wait for it, follow the instructions  LOL.  On to the gun ports, I made some marks on a piece of planking  then transferred it to the ship. Then drill just inside of the marks, and used my dremel to  make the hole. A little  fix up with a blade in the corners  and done. Now I will turn it over and do the other side  well I still have those marks on the stick. They should be in the same place when done.

The first gun port is on looks good.

We will see how long this takes me it feels like a slow process but happy to do it  😊

20230203_222102.jpg

20230203_222203.jpg

20230203_223231.jpg

20230203_223437.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

Well after measuring  and marking all the gun ports, I drilled holes then used the dremel . They all went on fine except for one.  I made the hole just a little bit more than I wanted,  but I can fix that Lol. All the gun ports are on. The plan show the gun port on the top right, the little one ,  the plan shows it on sideways, I look on line some are sideways some are like all the rest. I made mine all the same way. Now just have a few whalers and the ladder up the side of the ship and both sides will be finished to a point. Then it's either the bow and anchors or stern and the rudder. Both have details to keep me busy. The gun ports look good let's just hope I measured  right lol .

That's it for awhile, got to help out a freind  for a few weeks so won't have much modeling time  but we will see lol

20230205_163023.jpg

20230205_163527.jpg

20230205_195557.jpg

20230205_175559.jpg

20230205_181138.jpg

20230205_191106.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder

LOL remember I said  they all went on good except for one lol.  Yes this is what I had to do to fix this simple problem. I tried to push a little piece of wood  near the gun port in question and as I pushed ever so gently...  bang right through. So as luck is on my side,  I needed two more planks gone to fix the hole at the gunport, so I removed them and put new ones in . This is where the luck comes in as I had to put a fender on right at that point where they joined.  What luck  lol. So tonight it looks  like this, and yes  I am Grinning  😀 ☺️

I have to Thank everyone for their support and suggestions along with your advice,  I am slowly getting  it . Very  slowly lol. Anyway,  thanks everyone for this place, people who run it , moderators  all of you thanks  for helping me learn how to do it.  So now if I can get the other side to look like this side  I am good.  Talk soon .   :cheers: 

Bob M.

20230209_193650.jpg

20230210_122304.jpg

20230210_122239.jpg

20230210_141532.jpg

20230211_181245.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder

I could have sworn that I had this build log marked to follow, sorry Knocklouder.  After a strong power reread I'm up to date, and now that its marked I won't miss any more of your great progress.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Peanut6 how's it going, was wondering 

" why doesn't he write anymore. 🤔

I have only been to the race track once in my life. Lol. Don't be to hard on HHH, he was just trying to broaden my vocabulary  lol. But he did promise not to do it again lol.

I am done for the night, I just sprayed a flat clear coat on the ship. Plus , I decided to blackin all the brass for the rudder.  I think it would look better black. The plan shows white, but  I seen some in  black and I like it  that way. I primed the brass with stick-it from home hardware.  Then flat high heat paint, then a clear coat . I am hoping that works, I will let you know .

This ship is fun to build, but not really happy with the decal of the Mayflower.  It doesn't really look all that good. I can live with the windows  they aren't too bad.  But the flower makes  it look weird  to me.

So this is how she sits tonight, I have to let everything dry for the night anyway. And I just notice I am missing a fender, yep all done with the final coat, looking it over happy with it and I says HAY something missing  lol. Hopefully it will go on tomorrow  with out damaging  the finish coat . O well what can you do . Later

everyone.  :cheers:

Bob M.

20230213_220006.jpg

20230213_220152.jpg

20230213_220125.jpg

20230213_220543.jpg

Well my method of blacking my bass pieces work to a limited.  I did not forsee  the amount of bending needed to fit the rudder on. If I had a do over I would have bent and form them before I painted them.

The rudder was especially hard to do , the book say install rudder. Ok  The manual also says install rope ok what size what colour  lol guess work . But I made it look like this and Happy about it. A few paint touch ups and it will be fine. I might as well wait for the thouch ups there is bound to be more for sure. The stern is done so moving on to the bow lots of work there . So  other than the Mayflower decal I like my Mayflower.  

Thanks everyone for looking. I'm happy about my model ,they seem to be coming along still have so much to learn. So glad to have MSW. There is so many ideals here, sometimes you just got to say ok do it this way,weeks later you say darn should have done it differently.  But that's the fun part.  Still thinking about a different  Mayflower lol later my friend's.    :cheers:

20230214_184847.jpg

20230214_234328.jpg

20230214_234558.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Hey hey hey KL!!!!   That rudder looks like it would work, and also looks like nice craftsmanship to my eyes.  In fact, the whole kit and kaboodle is looking great!!!  I like your windows and the decal definitely adds a pop of color to the stern.  I wonder if you would have liked it better if you had cut out the flower(?).  Have you put some dull-cote or anything on top of it, or would that ruin it?  Keep up the good work, you are making awesome progress, and encouraging the rest of us!!!!

Thanks, she does need some more paint but that is the easy part. You are right about the flower I should have  cut just the flower out. So now looking for  Billings 1:60 scale emblem for the back of mine . Not sure where to even look. I am going to remove the white and see how she looks. If it is too bad I take it off and find something else.

Today working on the bow, going to do this door and steps before it gets to crowded  in there. First  door looks good. Thanks for the advice  @HardeeHarHar   :cheers:

20230215_111104.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

No I could not stand it anymore,   so I took

my excato knive and cut out the white. I can live with this thanks @HardeeHarHar for the advice, I didn't like the decal right from the start. Now on the advice  that I received here, I am happy with the results.   Ok on to the drawer bulkhead then the rest of the doors and ladder . And of course  the fender on the other side lol.

20230214_234558.jpg

20230215_121448.jpg

20230215_131007.jpg

20230215_182713.jpg

20230215_182757.jpg