The Mayflower by Knocklouder- FINISHED - Amati - 1:60

7 hours ago, Baker said:

Nice work and good that you are having fun with this model.
But .
These don't go over the mast top but under it. 

image.png.8cda1fbb0f45e06be7e13dac7999e26f.png

They are not tied on , just clipped on till I have done the other side. Then I will tie  everything together,  my dyslexic  way of rigging,  bottom to top instead of top to bottom  lol. Thanks for looking  out for me.:cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 2 weeks later...

Well my friends  I am dropping  the anchors on the Mayflower.  I have received  some books  that showed me what I was looking for about rigging.   Serving,  seizing,  puddening, oh my. I have never heard of puddening,  please someone tell me the Mayflower  did not have this lol. I know it up to me how far to take the details of my rigging.  I ordered  a Serving machine as  ,  I had a hard time making my own.  The machine is in Canada, tracking it now, be here on the 12th.  So now I got to do some research  lol, look for better pictures lol.  

I can not tell you all how much fun I am having here on MSW. Light switches  are coming  on all over the place, and I feel I am not running around like a chicken with its head   cut off.  I am just not sure of how far to take my rigging. So I am putting it on the shelf . Not for long though.  Just doing research  lol 

This will give me time to look at The NRG data base and  the one here at MSW, all the information you need to build a Model thanks so much So I will  see you all later  , but don't be surprised if I start another build log, to keep my mined off of rigging  lol 

20230408_132020.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

Small up date I have decided to Mark this Model   " TIDE OFF" A nautical term for losing the wind in your sail and are adrift on the tide till you get your wind back. Not sure where it will take me but,  I will  just go with the tide. Not sure what shore I will land up on or crash upon the rocks.   So this will give me more time for my sea of Galilee boat  log and research I think I need it LOL:cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course!

Hi Bob, I’m sure your Mayflower won’t mind being on standby for a bit. Always looking forward to your next post.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Nothing wrong with taking a break, Bob. Looking forward to the Sea of Galaliee build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 10 months later...

20240303_160301.thumb.jpg.b75c7a170e3207f8f0055547ddd97ba9.jpg

Well for some reason or another I decided to finish the Mayflower.  I have to find all the parts and plans they are here some where lol. :cheers:. Wish me luck. 

I still can't belive  all the help I get here. And a thanks to people who have helped keep me on the right course. 

So I hope I can make some progress  with my modeling journey.  

I know I know Scatter  Brian  LOL.

Hi Knocklouder, Just found your build. I started a Billing Boat Mayflower some two years ago that was a thrift store find and partially started. I just finished closing up the hull. At the time no one was building a Mayflower so this is nice, although you are way past where I am at. I like the colours you chose - will you be adding any of the Green and Yellow you sometimes see? Is your hull double-planked? I wish mine were but some putty and sanding will have to do. Is your beak all wood or are there plastic bits in there? I am trying to come to grips with what colour to paint my plastic bits to match the wood. 

I will be following along with interest.

Cheers,

Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats

Posted (edited)

Hello Dave, a word of caution  how I  build things   they may or may not be the correct way . Especially when it comes to planking lol. And what I am about to do for my shroud lines  is differently  not right but it's the way it works for me.lol You will see what I mean on my next post of the ship. I have some issues to address  before  building can resumed.

My hull is single planked  just Like yours and patching and sanding will give you a good hull. I follow most Mayflower  logs and your doing great. Do a great job patching and painting it will look great.youll see.

The colors I chose are what I think the Mayflower  One looked like, and scene's no one know for sure it could be lol.

For myself I didn't  like all the flashy  colors. 

All my deck is wood even the bits which are done and will add later.

We all have to make choices about how we want our ships to look like, and its your choice on how much detail you want to do.

I was going to serve all My shroud lines but that has changed.  Long story .

Glad to help if I can, but I am still learning how to build models myself lol. I can tell you I am having the time of my life and won't stop till I drop lol. :cheers:

Bob M.

PS  if you run into problems, just ask the so many that will help. I would not be as far as I am now if  it were not for the support and encouragement from the NRG/MSW staff and  moderators, and all the members  here. :D

Edited by Knocklouder
Typos

On 3/3/2024 at 6:30 PM, Knocklouder said:

20240303_160301.thumb.jpg.b75c7a170e3207f8f0055547ddd97ba9.jpg

Well for some reason or another I decided to finish the Mayflower.  I have to find all the parts and plans they are here some where lol. :cheers:. Wish me luck. 

I still can't belive  all the help I get here. And a thanks to people who have helped keep me on the right course. 

So I hope I can make some progress  with my modeling journey.  

I know I know Scatter  Brian  LOL.

WOW! I didn’t know you had this waiting in the wings when I walked in on your Pegasus build a few months ago. Glad to see you have sued her off and are going to finish her. 

Looks NICE… 👍 

I’ll pull up a chair and ride along. 
Good Luck finding all your parts. 

John

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

On 3/8/2024 at 5:27 PM, Glen McGuire said:

I'm in too!  Let's GIT 'R DUN!!!

In Canada we say, "Give 'er!"  

Ok Bob, just GIVE 'ER!

Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Posted (edited)

20240308_124515.thumb.jpg.373cef3df2d26b7a97ebfe62c3a7d6cc.jpg

Ok  well I finally got some time to giv'er lol .It has been quite the experience  before Christmas  the family  was all sick but we are all better now. Then the rodents moved in turn the place up side down lol.

So I decided  to finish  making  the shrouds and deadeyes.  Slow process, but at least some movement.   I am so happy .20240315_163142.thumb.jpg.98875d6f9d654a9f8af66d316d4cfb88.jpg

20240315_163210.thumb.jpg.d3051bfcf9a6279e200e0de95db8da74.jpg

20240318_120144.thumb.jpg.47438d872ddd7b2fd7d7b99f834f446d.jpg

I used a line to help line things up and soon  had the plates and one shroud on the foremast. I made the other shrouds  and moved the string . 20240318_174933.thumb.jpg.2bc5a5f8c769cbb29711cfaafdf21d2b.jpg

20240318_174256.thumb.jpg.223abb915184ef53c3dc676fe508b2b8.jpg

20240318_175328.thumb.jpg.769d1fc81b2d48a2c1abb7b7f130d092.jpg

20240318_174320.thumb.jpg.d76f3a10eb9f3acb046e3dd8128adcf8.jpg

I am still having the time of my life.  Trying to learn how to build ships right is so much fun I can't believe I never got started before I did. 

Thanks so much for all the help . Don't  mean to be a pest  lol but I still have so much to learn and so little time  giv'er  I am up to 70 know lol. Just  an old man having fun being 14 lol.

Don't mean to butt in on others logs but some of them are so fantastic  I just blurt right in. Ok

Hopefully  can get some more shrouds done and then and then  yes rat lines. Let the song  begin.lol :cheers:

I am liking this model once again  lol

Bob M.

Edited by Knocklouder
Typos

Glad to see you back at it, Bob…

She’s looking good, onwards one line at a time. 🍻

So much to do and so little time left. LOL 😂 I hear you…

Don’t let those Rats get in your rat lines.

John 

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Very nice looking Mayflower, Bob!

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

who's the "Neanderthal Writer

Wasn't that a Beatles song from the 60's? :)

Looking dang nice there, Mr Bob. 

Edited by Keith Black

51 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

Those shrouds are looking good, Bob! 

But I have a question - who's the "Neanderthal Writer"???

Screenshot2024-03-18191839.png.f00c6c8f5c144566f249d9886f05d046.png

Lol that is written by me one morning  the plans are on top of what's written the night before I got to get a shirt made up that say Neanderthal don't  do Rigging.  Lol.  Glad to be back   lol :10_1_10:

Posted (edited)

Seems I have had the chance to do a lot of rethinking.  As I just finished the plates  but still have 9 shrouds  to make up today I hope  I am looking at my Mayflower   and saying to Captain Marvin, I am really happy  how she looks. We have done a fine job MSN/NRG, and all of you modelers.  I sea the improvement  in how I  I build, and I see that I have a long way to go. For sure lol. Thanks so much.20240319_121935.thumb.jpg.db43cf03d98c5542d213afd53f608b50.jpg

CMSI  (Captain Marvin Ship Inspector ) lol    has got other things on his mine.  Seem I need to go for a couple  of  surgery but everyone keeps saying I will be OK  90% chance if serving  and living  a long  life lol I think their just trying  to cheer me up  lol. 

Wouldn't you know it  lol just get back to building  change of course  😉

Tomorrow surgery will tell us more  but every one says I will be fine lol. 

But for me I have been thinking  so much about modeling and finding MSW and the last 3 years it's been so much fun for me and so much hell on the moderators  lol.

I am so lucky to have met some of you and got to know others. 

Hey I am going to ask the surgeon  if he uses  clove hitch  knots LOL 😆  

So  now we will see, not exactly sure what holds for me but I will be OK lol :cheers:

Sorry for the ramble lol

Bob M 

CMSI

Edited by Knocklouder
Typos

What the heck, Bob? Buddy, I'm praying that your surgery goes well and no further issues are discovered. Please take care and get back to us as soon as your recovery permits. 

You know what they say one leads to two and so on lol. I have the shrouds done for the foremast. I just have to tie them on and straight things up 20240319_170315.thumb.jpg.ccebbd8a0992329b0cabe524b8878eeb.jpg

20240319_172259.thumb.jpg.b76b244d3449a33dba4c504570ce3bc6.jpg

The First Mate  is pulling me out of the shipyard, time to get prep for tomorrow. 

Thank you all for your thoughts  and encouragement  along the way. I just though since   my Mayflower  is the only active build for the Amati  Mayflower, there are two but one has not posted for a long time. I  will be kinda proud to have the frist finished  Amati  Victory Model that is on MSW. That is lol I thought I had only 9 shrouds to make Noo there is 12 upper  shrouds  the some how  the brain just over looked lol.  Ok got to go I'll be fine lol

Sea you soon my friend's. 

:cheers:

Bob, you seem to be in a great frame of mind. We’ll be praying for your speedy return, so we can see what the Mayflower really looked like,  when it brought our people over here:-)

Current builds: Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin
Back on the shelf: Gretel - Mamoli

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Muscongus bay lobster smack

Peterboro Canoe- Midwest

Nice work. 

And get wel soon 👍👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Peace and our prayers be with you Bob.  From what you say, you're in good hands between the surgeon and first mate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)