USS Arizona by DocRob - FINISHED - Eduard - 1/350 - PLASTIC

It's a bit of cash in time now, as it's the time of the build, where all the pre fabricated sub assemblies got finally detailed and added to the decks. I mounted the planes on their sleds onto the catapults, dozens of bollards, winches, AA guns and mid artillery with their gun shields. Not all is glued yet, and I try to assemble in a logical order, without risking to destroy glued on details through bad sequencing.
Suddenly the whole build appears to melt together with these very rewarding steps.

P1000415.JPG.86156bd8bb597343a42d0db5463df414.JPG

P1000420.JPG.2345708feeb07d6cfe1db54fd4567cff.JPG

P1000416.JPG.748fd42eec24cfcbeb75410e567d78a8.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

I added more and more sub assemblies to the mix. After a bit of detail painting with a brush, the numerous boats were glued to the decks, later followed by the gangways. More figures were CA-ed to their stations. The superstructure and the mast section are not glued in place yet, as I will add some railings first. Not shown on the pictures are the anchor chains, which I blackened in burnishing fluid.

P1000421.JPG.ac11e21748c4231aa11fc115ca6a5017.JPG

P1000424.JPG.8185271e09777f5856e17553c565ed4b.JPG

P1000426.JPG.d7ec90c550cf534d4bf96adecaea24e5.JPG

P1000428.JPG.11590690fa4932b3690713add3336152.JPG

P1000429.JPG.9e141502a74fc453577b457d1e23bda6.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

hopefully you did not glue down the 5" 51cal gun mounts yet as that cylinder shaped shield that the gun barrels are sticking out of is for weather protection as they are made from canvas & rolled up for action or warm weather. look at attached links. 

http://navsource.org/archives/01/038/013803c.jpg

http://navsource.org/archives/01/039/013954.jpg

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/013921a.jpg

when the weather shield is lowered to cover the gun mount openings, 5" guns #1 - #6 are pointed to the bow & 5" guns #7 - #10  are pointed to the stern.Sheet7UpperDeck.thumb.jpg.52676be34fb3e50720142aff5012ddc0.jpg

14 hours ago, ddp said:

hopefully you did not glue down the 5" 51cal gun mounts yet as that cylinder shaped shield that the gun barrels are sticking out of is for weather protection as they are made from canvas & rolled up for action or warm weather. look at attached links. 

http://navsource.org/archives/01/038/013803c.jpg

http://navsource.org/archives/01/039/013954.jpg

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/013921a.jpg

when the weather shield is lowered to cover the gun mount openings, 5" guns #1 - #6 are pointed to the bow & 5" guns #7 - #10  are pointed to

Thanks for continuously finding hairs in my USS Arizona soup, ddp :D. Checking the pictures, it seems you are right. I initially wanted to place the guns like you mentioned, but now they are glued in place like they are. Not the most accurate Arizona build around, I fear, but I can live with that.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Phew, almost there. Some touchups are still to do and there are still some parts missing, like the anchors, which I forgot. 
I added all the railings, which proved easier than thought. I bent them to shape before carefully set them on a wooden board with double sided adhesive tape and then primed and sprayed the railings. Before installing the outer railings, I glued on the masts, cranes and superstructure, not to interfere with later.
Lots of figures were added and I hope, they tell little stories with their poses, interaction and placement.  
Lastly, there is the question, if I rig the Arizona. I'm not so sure, if rigging would be visible in this scale, but this decision will be made later.

It seems like I can think about new projects. There were times, where I couldn't think of getting to this stage, during the build and this feels good and satisfactory.

Cheers Rob

P1000430.JPG.c79dd71c286d62fba3e38bae4093744a.JPG

P1000433.JPG.21de8072a6b91b38325467b5cedd797b.JPG

P1000440.JPG.06e303859f23aa90d36bb053e40bfe03.JPG

P1000443.JPG.bf74a16392062e77ce6fa6224a752661.JPG

P1000444.JPG.3716baa005793026ec54429372b13842.JPG

P1000435.JPG.fffae1de54e97deec5a331987b3c87f2.JPG

P1000437.JPG.ae8d02597513b523e075e0dd534a23b4.JPG

P1000438.JPG.0a17b6e37a56c9c63590d477edbb1854.JPG

Edited by DocRob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

'Super job, mate !   I love the old 'battleship grey'  ... for a while now it's been Hayes Grey underway.  The figures bring the ship 'to life' and add a lot to the impression.  'Don't know if I could have managed the fine PE as well as you have.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

21 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

'Super job, mate !   I love the old 'battleship grey'  ... for a while now it's been Hayes Grey underway.  The figures bring the ship 'to life' and add a lot to the impression.  'Don't know if I could have managed the fine PE as well as you have.

Thank you Johnny, I wanted to build this kit, the moment I saw the color scheme. What a nice distraction from the normal light grey jobs. The build was testing at times, but I have to say, there were no real project threatening failures, astonishingly. 
Most hick ups were self induced, due to lack of research or laziness and being inexperienced. I have to praise the Eduard PE, which is very detailed and precisely designed.
The only determining factor in this project was the will to finish, as it needs some tedious and methodical work.  I had moments, where I distracted me with thoughts about next projects, but the motivation came always back, after taking a short break.

Cheers Rob

Edited by DocRob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

5 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

Great result Rob. Those figures bring it all to life giving a real sense of scale.

I’ll keep an eye out for your next build

Thank you Paul, I'm completely undecided about my next build. It could be a 1/48 Oeffag 253, an Austrian biplane of WWI or a 1/20 vintage McLaren, or I continue with some stalled builds. The next days will show.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Well done with Arizona.  👍 Looking forward to your next project, whatever it turns out to be. 😄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very well done, Rob. I'm totally gobsmacked at the level of detail :omg:

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Nice job on a kinda difficult build.... I've built the 1/429th scale revell arizona four times, each I guess was better than the previous... the last with GMM pe which I don't think came out very well... but it's gone now...

I have both the Banner Arizona and the Eduard special edition and a bunch of extras for it... 

You did a beautiful job on her given the level you wanted to attain... nice work... Just one little note...

Yes all the research many of us have done leads up to a blue Arizona, we don't have the smoking gun that proves she was blue but a ton of evidence that gives a strong probability that she was... In April of 1941, the Arizona was painted in Ms 1 which was 5D dark grey with 5L light grey tops the dark grey was almost black in color but quickly faded into a very chalky grey color... In November of '41, third week to be exact she was repainted in 5S sea blue retaining her 5L tops... on December 7th she had been to sea for 5 days arriving back at Pearl the evening of the 5th before the attack so the paint was fresh, brand new... There wouldn't be any rust or weathering apparent on her...

I'm going to do a build of her soon.... Thank you for striking the muse for her again... She is one of my favorite ships of all time....

You did a beautiful job on her, one to be proud of...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

22 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Very well done, Rob. I'm totally gobsmacked at the level of detail :omg:

On 4/16/2023 at 1:32 PM, Canute said:

Well done with Arizona.  👍 Looking forward to your next project, whatever it turns out to be. 😄

Thank you Ken and Edward, the built was demanding at times, but well satisfying. Speaking of detail, The USS Arizona is not quite finished, the anchors are missing and I noticed, I forgot the yellow prop blade markings on the Kingfisher planes. Then there's the rigging. I've not decided finally, how deep I will get into that.

As for the next build, the decision is made. I will build a sleek flying racehorse, diversification is the best medicine against boredom ;).

Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane - 1/48 - S.B.S.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

17 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Nice job on a kinda difficult build.... I've built the 1/429th scale revell arizona four times, each I guess was better than the previous... the last with GMM pe which I don't think came out very well... but it's gone now...

I have both the Banner Arizona and the Eduard special edition and a bunch of extras for it... 

You did a beautiful job on her given the level you wanted to attain... nice work... Just one little note...

Yes all the research many of us have done leads up to a blue Arizona, we don't have the smoking gun that proves she was blue but a ton of evidence that gives a strong probability that she was... In April of 1941, the Arizona was painted in Ms 1 which was 5D dark grey with 5L light grey tops the dark grey was almost black in color but quickly faded into a very chalky grey color... In November of '41, third week to be exact she was repainted in 5S sea blue retaining her 5L tops... on December 7th she had been to sea for 5 days arriving back at Pearl the evening of the 5th before the attack so the paint was fresh, brand new... There wouldn't be any rust or weathering apparent on her...

I'm going to do a build of her soon.... Thank you for striking the muse for her again... She is one of my favorite ships of all time....

You did a beautiful job on her, one to be proud of...

Thank you Egilman, once for the praise and second for the background info on the paintjobs of the USS Arizona. I knew, the blue-grey paint was applied shortly before the attack, but wanted to learn a bit about weathering in this kind of scales.
I'm not after a 100% accuracy and take my liberties with my builds, which I often start, because I have a fascination for the subject and because I want to learn something new, modeling wise. 
I live a bit isolated with no modeling community around (except MSW and LSM), so I build only for my own pleasure and not for competition, it's more about challenging myself.

Like you, I like the USS Arizona a lot and when I saw the Eduard boxing, I was sold. If my build struck a chord with you, I'm pleased and look forward to your rendition.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Egilman, i presume you have never attempted to correct that 1/429 scale Arizona concave stern. take a look at this link. 

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165105

take a look at this link about the correct scale for that Revell USS Arizona.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=286900

11 hours ago, DocRob said:

I'm not after a 100% accuracy and take my liberties with my builds, which I often start, because I have a fascination for the subject and because I want to learn something new, modeling wise. 
I live a bit isolated with no modeling community around (except MSW and LSM), so I build only for my own pleasure and not for competition, it's more about challenging myself.

Amen brother...

You build to your own vision, as do we all, (well most of us) It's going to be sitting on your shelf which is as it should be.... And yes, it is about the journey isn't it... Sometimes we need the path less taken to expand our horizons, otherwise how do we grow in the hobby...

Challenging oneself? I wouldn't have it any other way my friend....

Again well done...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

10 hours ago, ddp said:

Egilman, i presume you have never attempted to correct that 1/429 scale Arizona concave stern.

No, I never tried to recurve the underwater stern, too much work and not enough references... when I do mine I will probably not redo the bow or torpedo blisters either... I haven't decided on a representation on plinths or waterline yet and most people would not recognize the errors on the underwater portion of the hull, so it's not high on the priority list for me...

Lots to add to it though, are you going to do the incinerator that was on the boatdeck? the 1.1 gun platforms on the superstructure? or the stairwell from the 01 level, main superstructure to the boatdeck as well?

Lots of stuff to detail up this kit if one wants to do the research and work involved...

WE should cut this off here as I don't want to muck up Rob's build thread...

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

On 4/18/2023 at 4:56 PM, LegoKing5522 said:

looks really really good. lots of detail and looks like the real Arizona. when I was 11, I got a model Arizona from hobby lobby for my birthday, that thing was a piece of junk 😂. yours looks like a professional job, or a real ship lol. I love it!

Thank you LegoKing, if I had only used the plastic of the kit, it would have been looking like a piece of junk as well. The PE and printed parts made all the difference and some patience, of course.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

• 2 weeks later...

I call the USS Arizona project done. I did a lot of little things over the last days, like a simplified rigging, added flagpoles, painted lots of details, added the anchors, I had forgotten before and took some final pictures.
It was a demanding but also satisfying project, where I learned a lot of new stuff, as it was my first small scale ship build. The most important lesson was, not to limit myself with upfront fear of the lots of PE and small detail stuff. 
Finally, I also learned something new about photographing, focus stacking, which my camera is able to do in house. It means, that a lengthy object, which normally would have out of focus areas can be photographed without these areas. It takes some pictures of different focus points in one file, which later are merged in the camera to generate a completely focused image, cool stuff.

Thank you for carrying me along this project with helpful information and encouraging comments.

Cheers Rob

P1000501(2).JPG.b2e1c99ef63bde835b1079e3af03d5fc.JPG

P1000502(2).JPG.a1fa802116912dd3eda3118027cf1405.JPG

P1000504(2).JPG.1b6ced3423d9a1a0a90babe8396cc602.JPG

P1000474.JPG.c21ee53914b3da47f8f355ee01d5cfc4.JPG

P1000484.JPG.e373ddde99f0bff8bf882b2dcddf9018.JPG

P1000492.JPG.4fc3615a61418b74fbb803fe047e8e2b.JPG

P1000493.JPG.48a2a01c96203e96ee3dfdc40cf5d73f.JPG

P1000496.JPG.ae6bc84c54d3176eda44723cc108aa2b.JPG

P1000497.JPG.bb9f555274321403206c288f82dbfc34.JPG

P1000486.JPG.e5378913d91dd931b6fe92d3b43c5955.JPG

P1000487.JPG.981ed866e12326a05a8b20c0556a241d.JPG

P1000488.JPG.b61ec77000c198722b81b20e856d017a.JPG

P1000500.JPG.619969b4ff6dc02859ee819750362a28.JPG

P1000491.JPG.c1e0a312ae4af735f4a9fd9570d9c2af.JPG

P1000490.JPG.5ee715b5a61d64313e3dacd25d87da9d.JPG

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Wow that came together nicely, great  job, well done   :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Adding some crew really brings life to the old girl. Well done.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Outstanding!

12 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

Wow that came together nicely, great  job, well done   

11 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Very nice, love the extra details and the crew! 

11 hours ago, Canute said:

Adding some crew really brings life to the old girl. Well done.

Muchas gracias Gentlemen, all around, it was a pleasurable building experience and I expected more difficulties up front. I have to thank all of you contributing lots of information for this build. I learnt a lot from you as well while building the ship.
My first contact with the Arizona project, were actually the Ion Model figures, which inspired me to build the USS Arizona in a manned version. I had lots of fun placing the sailors and bring some life to the ship.
It will not be my last venture into plastic ship modelling, but I like to build different subjects, so maybe some time will pass, until I lay keel on another plastic kit. I guess, the next maritime project will be the rigging of my Duchess of Kingston. The Arizona build may have given me the braveness to start with that.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Well done Sir...

Quote: