hi, I was wondering what the cheapest model kit for practice would be.

LegoKing5522

hi, I am new to building model ships, and I was wondering if you guys could suggest some cheaper kits that I could use for practice. i would like to avoid spending a bunch of money on something nice, because I don't have any practice at all with planking and building the hull etc...

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Many new builders here have started with the three-model Model Shipways series. There are many build logs for these models as well on this site. 

Each model is also available for sale separately, as are the paints, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In progress: Norwegian Sailing Pram by Model Shipways

Completed: Lowell Grand Banks Dory by Model Shipways

I did the 3 Model Shipways kits since I had no experience with wooden models, built many plastic models but no wood.  With each one I learned a lot and gained basic and mid modeling skills.  I found the price very manageable.  Recommend you look at a few build logs on this site for any model you might be interested in building before buying. Also, start a build log for anything you do, since you can ask others for help.

The key is take your time, enjoy and realize that no one will notice any flaw but you, good modeling.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

I saw Artesania Latina's 1805 Swift with a 'buy it now' price of $49.99.  The AL Bounty Jolly Boat was for $42 and change.  These look like great beginner kits that don't cost much ... and I know there is at least one build log for the Jolly Boat.  Check it out.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Sign up for the Model Expo email alerts. They have sales just about every week and you can usually find good deals on simple, inexpensive kits among the deals. I'd second the Swift, which sounds like a good deal. Their Virginia 1819 also looks like a good starter kit. It looks like you can get it on their site for about $95 if you use their coupon. https://artesanialatina.net/en/ships-initiation/62413-virginia-american-schooner-wooden-model-ship-kit-8421426221350.html

Edited by Stevinne

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/saucy-jack-barking-well-smack/

Chris Watton’s Vanguard Models have excellent instruction manuals and the owner of the company is on this forum.

He made a bunch of fishing boat kits, like the link I started with, that would make a great beginners kit.

Also, there are excellent planking tutorials on this forum too.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hi

I would recommend the New Bedford Whale boat from Model Shipways.  You can usually buy it on sale at Model Expo.  The scale  is fairly large, the instructions booklet and plans by Erik Ronnberg are excellent and the planks are pre cut and spiled. The model builds over a hardback framework just like you would build a real boat. 

The actual boat is on display at the New Bedford Whaling museum here in Massachusetts .  In would highly recommend a trip if you are ever in the area. 

The three boats mentioned earlier seem like a good start although I have never tried them.

Dennis

One thing not mentioned is "what's your budget?".   We all have ideas on good beginner kits but knowing what you're willing or able to spend will help get the choices down.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey there,

Or you can buy them second hand.  I actually have two kits for sale, 

1:100 Model Shipways Bluenose  $80 shipping included

Model Shipways BENJAMIN LATHAM 1:48  $150 shipping included 

PM if you're interested,

Joshua  

BL 1 to 64.png

s-l1600.jpg