Lowell Grand Banks Dory by Claire7 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

I’m new to the group but have enjoyed reading previous building logs. My background is in making miniatures, the only previous boat experience was the Dumas 12” boat which I finished recently. I wanted to try something more detailed and develop my skills so I now have the Grand Banks dory and the Norwegian pram.

Earlier on I had bought the BlueJacket Cape Cod catboat but realized that was not a good starting point! I think that boat is absolutely beautiful so I want to do the kit justice. 

I will appreciate very much any feedback/assistance along the way.  

Just for fun I will show the finished Dumas… 

D3538725-6E20-4A8E-9644-82950767455B.jpeg

47EC05D7-ED80-4D51-A394-FFE3BD00BCBA.jpeg

Enjoy!  Looks like you will do fine!

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

3 hours ago, Claire7 said:

My background is in making miniatures,

I've always envied the doll house miniatures modelers. They seem to have a strong market for their finished models. Unfortunately, with ship models, not so much. :D We used to have one of the largest "brick and mortar" doll house miniatures stores (with a big mail order business, as well,) in the town where I lived. I used to get a lot of ship modeling "miniature lumber" there. Sadly, they didn't survive the Pandemic and went out of business. 

Welcome to Model Ship World.  Looks like you are off to a good start.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

19 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

I've always envied the doll house miniatures modelers. They seem to have a strong market for their finished models. Unfortunately, with ship models, not so much. :D We used to have one of the largest "brick and mortar" doll house miniatures stores (with a big mail order business, as well,) in the town where I lived. I used to get a lot of ship modeling "miniature lumber" there. Sadly, they didn't survive the Pandemic and went out of business. 

It’s true miniatures are popular now. I do seem to see more boat models on places like Etsy recently… but maybe that’s just because I’m looking because I like them. I did try to list my Dumas boat for $80- the kit cost $40 and I spent a week making it but no takers lol. Sorry to hear about the shop, we’re lucky to still have one locally. It is a great source of lumber too. 

Making progress on the planking. I found it tricky to hold each piece at all points while drying but had some success with washi tape. I had to redo one end because the planks weren’t aligned with each other, reminder to compare the planks on each side of the boat to check their positions match.

The upper/sheer plank is drying now, these planks have a hole at one end that isn’t mentioned in the booklet, not sure what the holes are for because they would get trimmed off after attaching? 

187B6461-DEB7-4F8C-B60F-F394E35E1267.jpeg

3BF9AF70-5FB9-4854-9609-F8C4625D07E0.jpeg

9BFB346E-9979-473A-BA1B-CEE93C566ED9.jpeg

Climbing aboard to watch this build.

Welcome to MSW. 

Looking good so far.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

1 hour ago, bricklayer said:

Claire,

swap rear and front of the sheer strakes. At the bow those holes make sense.

In the picture the planks are still wet. Let`s hope that you havn`t glued them, yet.

Michael

Thanks so much Michael! I did glue unfortunately… I did wait for the pieces to dry but didn’t check in at the right time to see your answer. One of the holes shows slightly and I’m filling it, but otherwise they were trimmed off… what do they represent? I can’t find them mentioned in the instructions.

Shaping the oars… so far I love this kit because there is so much detail. I’m happy there are still a lot more steps to do and it will keep looking better. I just noticed the dowel for the thole pins is missing from my kit but I think I can easily make them the same way I rounded the oars. I will use the leftover 1/16” strip wood. 

8935DACF-C693-4CD4-8376-30BD28B8961D.jpeg

After a lot of sanding pieces are ready for staining: thwarts, cap rails, oars and oar pegs. I trimmed the cap rails to fit beforehand and checked the thwarts were resting well on the supports. I did a little beveled sanding as they were sitting a bit above the seat risers (supports). Now on to some painting!

5ED68290-1743-4A8F-B834-C77C3DC693C3.jpeg

B6CB1B79-3D55-455F-A85A-610DCA50723B.jpeg

I just restarted this hobby and got the MS three boat kit.  I finished this dory a couple weeks ago and agree its a beauty.  I liked it so much I bought the bluejacket version (larger size).  I am about half done with the bluejacket and so far I like the MS version better.  The smaller size seems to give the detail more emphasis and makes it less crude looking.  And I really like your Leggo idea...could have used it on the bluejacket frames!  My sailing pram is about 90% done and is also a nice looking kit. Both those kits improved my painting technique.

36 minutes ago, dbwhip said:

I just restarted this hobby and got the MS three boat kit.  I finished this dory a couple weeks ago and agree its a beauty.  I liked it so much I bought the bluejacket version (larger size).  I am about half done with the bluejacket and so far I like the MS version better.  The smaller size seems to give the detail more emphasis and makes it less crude looking.  And I really like your Leggo idea...could have used it on the bluejacket frames!  My sailing pram is about 90% done and is also a nice looking kit. Both those kits improved my painting technique.

I was interested in the BlueJacket dory too but was keen to do a series because it felt like taking a class. Nice to hear you like the MS dory. I’m looking forward to the pram. In fact I was being patient to learn from the dory first but was more interested in having the pram. But now I’m nearing the end on the dory I really love it. 

Thwarts and cap rails attached. The exterior is now turquoise, the interior cream (both lightly aged). I think the wood is a nice contrast although a bit darker than I intended. I’m trying to get more confident staining wood. I realized recently I could mix stain colours to try to get the colour I wanted… not much left to do: need more thole pins, oar leathering and beckets. Not sure if I want the stand.

49FF7B0A-2747-4252-B41A-09C54647F738.jpeg

Yep, that's looking right handsome.

Truth be told I am disappointed in the Bluejacket dory.  Expectation management.  That is my first bluejacket kit and I expected more given their prices.

I am also looking to do a cat boat someday but Bluejacket's is a little big for my taste.  The Norwegian Pram is a good size/scale for me.

4 hours ago, dbwhip said:

I am also looking to do a cat boat someday but Bluejacket's is a little big for my taste.  The Norwegian Pram is a good size/scale for me.

Thanks very much! I bought the BlueJacket cat boat kit because I love all the details but I am a bit worried about how large it is. I’m hoping to make the pram next then maybe go for the cat boat next. I was looking for a smaller one, maybe like a beetle boat (?) without the cabin but couldn’t find anything similar elsewhere. There’s also a YouTube where someone shows their completed BlueJacket cat boat and it’s beautiful and inspired me. My kit arrives Thursday, I’m in Canada so it’s extra expensive and it looks like I’m going to pay customs too 😣. Anyway I’m enjoying the process and learning a lot too. 

Leathering done on the oars. I added an extra narrower and thicker strip at the top of each and some tiny painted “nails”. It’s thin brown paper painted darker to show up against the brown stain. Also finished the thole pins. I’m not sure I like the rope supplied with the kit, I’ll go look in my sewing room…

5B336E2C-865C-4B1C-A2A4-4283FCED763E.jpeg

91D66090-F01F-4C68-8F30-272A338096CD.jpeg

Surprising amount of trouble with the ropes 😂. The rope that came with the kit seemed a bit heavy and glossier than I wanted… I used some thinner rope that came with the Dumas kit. It was very bright white, I dyed it light brown with watered down ink. It was still tricky to get it through the holes but I didn’t want to enlarge them too much so I took out one ply of the rope. Then used fray block to get them to stay in place. Need to add a bit more for the stern one. 

42E12049-25CB-405F-B3E7-48D7D422A4B1.jpeg

2B191A9C-7C48-42FA-B581-A37B7BBA57FC.jpeg

AF7C5773-E94C-4E27-8D4F-D1EFD4D19566.jpeg

Great detail on those oars!

Place holder:  When you get to the Pram: I am working on the rudder hardware now.  The straps are a bear to bend cleanly.  Maybe someone here in the forums has broken the code but I am thinking of using a light card stock for the straps.  If you stick with the brass, on the pintles think about making the bend first then gluing the inserts in...my glued inserts popped out during the bend.

Observation:  When it comes to dropped objects, gravity is inversely proportional to age.  The older you are the farther tiny things bounce. (lost one of the straps during the bending struggle)

@dbwhip thanks so much for the tips! I’ve already started the pram and having minor difficulties. I’m spending a lot of time reading logs and I appreciate them so much. That’s why I’m making a log as a beginner, someone else may benefit if they are at the same stage. Also… I am constantly looking around for tiny things I’ve dropped. My husband says what does it look like and I’m like it’s 1/4” long, 1/32” diameter and the exact colour of our hardwood floors 😂

Finally I have a nice quiet day to try to finish my dory. I did start the pram already but I didn’t want to leave the dory unfinished. I’ve glued together and painted a first coat on the stand. Then I will sand and paint a second coat. I decided white will blend in with my white bookcase. My inspiration for this boat is the one in Wind in the Willows. It’s not exactly the same, but matches the description of being painted blue on the outside, white in the interior, and just the right size for two small animals. So I sewed a couple of cushions to match the look of the illustrations. I was tempted but I don’t think I’ll make the seat with curved arms…

363E9E89-D8F3-4ABB-A2B2-AFC7F95898B8.jpeg

1E797951-7AEF-4E5D-BBFC-3FE63648B8AC.jpeg

B8F6E40C-0B00-4509-A478-CA3656227810.jpeg

Ah, Wind in the Willows. A delightful book for all ages! “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” And yours is the most comfortable dory ever seen.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv