USS Constitution by mtbediz - 1:76

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

I'm still leaning toward an unpainted Conny, but when I see how good yours looks, I start having second thoughts.  

She's gorgeous!

Painted or unpainted, I'm sure your model will look great either way. You are working very meticulously and cleanly.

Edited by mtbediz

Mustafa, love the symmetry of this spar deck! It looks awesome! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

I made the chain pots and fixed them in place. These are where the anchor chains or ropes are transferred across the gun deck and into storage areas. I then hauled the anchor chains onto the gun deck.

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

That chain worked out very nice for you.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

The chain pots and chain look really nice, Mustafa!  Perhaps I missed it earlier, but where do those chains go as they come out of the chain pots and underneath the spar deck?  Was there a windlass underneath they wrap around?  Are these anchor chains?  Sorry for being inquisitive! Trying to absorb everyone's great work on their respective Constitution logs! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GGibson said:

The chain pots and chain look really nice, Mustafa!  Perhaps I missed it earlier, but where do those chains go as they come out of the chain pots and underneath the spar deck?  Was there a windlass underneath they wrap around?  Are these anchor chains?  Sorry for being inquisitive! Trying to absorb everyone's great work on their respective Constitution logs! 

Hi Greg. Yes these are anchor chains. It would be difficult for me to explain how the system works on here, but there is a YouTube video that I like very much and you can find the answers to many questions about historic ships in this video. For the answer to your question, please watch from 18:50 of the video. :)

Edited by mtbediz

Ahh yes, using capstans!  And an awesome video!  Adding that to my library to watch the entire video at a later date.  Appreciate the info, Mustafa!  And again, the chain looks really sharp. 

Gregg

I completed the gun deck hatch's stancions and hand ropes. I made two ladders from the spar deck to the gun deck and since they were still reachable I added stancions for the hand ropes because the beams would prevent me from reaching them later.

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

57.jpg

These ladders look great, Mustafa!  The cuts in the side rails for each of the steps/rungs to be held is perfect.  Did you have a jig set up with your mill to do those?

Gregg

I do the cuts with my mill. I just attach the side rails properly (with the same angle) onto a piece of wood with double sided adhesive tape and cut them together, then glue the steps. I don't use any jig for that.

20240319_091346.jpg

20240319_092123.jpg

Posted (edited)

Very nice ladders. They have been one of the banes of my modeling experience. I've tried different methods, tools, and jigs and have been not been happy with any of my results. I'll have to give your obvious successful method a try when the time comes.

Jon

Edited by JSGerson

After studying your beautiful ladders, I think I may have discovered an unfortunate measuring error. Per the attached US Navy plans, the ladders extend into the grating which extends above the deck. Your ladders stop at the top of the floor beams. See attached plans. I really hate to mess up your fine wood work.🫤

Jon

19046001_1.jpg

19046001_2.jpg

19046001_3.jpg

Thanks for the additional info on the ladder construction, Mustafa.  Great work!  I am also interested in the stanchions and how you secured the hand ropes that go around the stairwell.  Can you take a closeup photograph of one of the stanchions? Is the rope passing through small brass tubes at the tops of each stanchion?  Again, marvelous detail, sir! 

Gregg

GGibson, well, let's see what I can do for you.

Jon

Berth Deck 02.jpg

Gun Deck 01.jpg

22366001 - Companionway Ladder Stanchions.jpg

4651523001 - Bottom Ladder Stanchion.jpg

2007 04.jpg

Posted (edited)

Now the question is, are the hand ropes for the tourists or were they part of the ladder the crew would have used in 1812? For example, the netting around the gun deck gun ports is to prevent idiot tourists from falling out of the ship. It is something I won't add to my model.

Jon

Edited by JSGerson

2 hours ago, JSGerson said:

After studying your beautiful ladders, I think I may have discovered an unfortunate measuring error. Per the attached US Navy plans, the ladders extend into the grating which extends above the deck. Your ladders stop at the top of the floor beams. See attached plans. I really hate to mess up your fine wood work.🫤

Jon

19046001_1.jpg

19046001_2.jpg

19046001_3.jpg

First of all, thank you very much for your attention and warning me, Jon. Yes, you are absolutely right. I will lextend or remake the ladders. I haven't glued the ladders in place yet anyway. As for the hand ropes, I'm making them because I saw them in your build and in the photos of the ship. Other than that, I don't have any information.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GGibson said:

Thanks for the additional info on the ladder construction, Mustafa.  Great work!  I am also interested in the stanchions and how you secured the hand ropes that go around the stairwell.  Can you take a closeup photograph of one of the stanchions? Is the rope passing through small brass tubes at the tops of each stanchion?  Again, marvelous detail, sir! 

Dear Greg. The photos Jon posted are beautiful. Of course, I cannot do it this well on this scale, I just tried to simulate it. I'll take a close-up photo tomorrow and add it here.

Edited by mtbediz

I initially added the hand ropes on the ladders going from the gun deck to the pseudo berth deck, or at least I tried. Over time they have all been knocked off due to the weak bond of the very limited gluing area surfaces. Because of the limited viewing and now inaccessible areas at the bottom of those ladders, I won't be replacing the hand ropes. I'll probably try again for the ladders going to the spar deck, We'll see what happens.

Jon

13 hours ago, GGibson said:

Close-up photos of the stancions.  They're not as good as the real ones, but they work. :)

20240321_090336.jpg

Those are awesome. Thanks for the "zoom-in", Mustafa.

Gregg

Posted (edited)

Looks like the real ship. Nice work!

Jon