USS Constitution by mtbediz - 1:76

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, mtbediz said:

Since precise work is required, I can fabricate only one grating a day..

You make it sound like that's not much progress.  Trust me, the pace you're setting is exhausting to some 😁 who are following your build.  Impressive work as usual Mustafa.  Kudos!

Edited by Der Alte Rentner
corrected typo

Impressively meticulous work, Mustafa!  👍🏆

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

You make it sound like that's not much progress.  Trust me, the pace you're setting is exhausting some 😁 who are following your build.  Impressive work as usual Mustafa.  Kudos!

Thank you Peter. Yes, I look faster than many modelers, but of course (I think) this is related to the fact that I spend more time on this job than they do and I don't have anything else better to do. :)

Edited by mtbediz

I think I commented earlier, Mustafa, how impressed I am with how you make your ladders so consistently.  As I recall, you said you had a little jig made for the ladder construction.  Just curious, though... could you have made these at the same time you were making the ones that go up to the gun deck, or is there a slight variation in the pitch or angle that you needed to check on and couldn't until you got to this point?  Any efficiency in doing it either way?  As I said, though, they look awesome! Totally impressed, sir! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

6 hours ago, Bill Morrison said:

I am most impressed with your extremely beautiful craftsmanship and artistry!  Well done!

Bill

Thank you for stopping by and for your nice comment.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, GGibson said:

I think I commented earlier, Mustafa, how impressed I am with how you make your ladders so consistently.  As I recall, you said you had a little jig made for the ladder construction.  Just curious, though... could you have made these at the same time you were making the ones that go up to the gun deck, or is there a slight variation in the pitch or angle that you needed to check on and couldn't until you got to this point?  Any efficiency in doing it either way?  As I said, though, they look awesome! Totally impressed, sir! 

Hi Greg,

I had made the ladders going down from gun deck to the berth deck in a way that did not match the real ladders at all (Take a look at my post number 26. I used an easy method). Frankly, I did not pay much attention to the angle of the ladders as they would not be so visible. 

Since these stairs would be completely visible I had to make them realistic. Because I don't have scale plans, I had to take the measurements from the model and for this I had to wait for the spar deck beams to be put in place. I transferred the measurements to the piece of wood in the photo, fixed the sides of the ladder onto it with double sided adhesive tape and made slots for the ladder steps with the milling machine.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Great explanation and, as always, great work, Mustafa.  Thanks for taking the time to document and explain. 👍

Gregg

10 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Gotta love that Proxxon mill.  

Yes Peter, it's a great machine. I think it is a machine that every modeler should have. I do most of my work with it. Ladders, gratings, gun carriages, blocks, precision drillings and many other things.

Hello Mustafa, as always very nice and careful work. Nice explanation of how to build ladders. Thanks for showing.

Auf der Werkbank:

Corvette La Palme (L'Amarante) von 1744 POF nach Plänen von Ancre

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32046-la-palme-by-tobias-136-pof/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29843-le-coureur-1776-by-tobias-caf-148/

LE ROCHEFORT - Hafenyacht von 1787 1:36 von Tobias (Monographie von ANCRE)

4 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Hi there Mustafa, 

Did you stain the hornwood you used for the decking?  Or is that just the way it looks with a coat of poly?  

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I only applied 3 coats of matte varnish.

Spar deck beams and connected knees have been completed up to where the commodores cabin is located and I started the construction of the commodores cabin.

30.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

20240518_105958.jpg

20240518_110219.jpg

20240518_121523.jpg

20240518_115608.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

The fine details on all the white walls of the commodores cabin will be made from 0,5 mm pear strip. The walls will be painted white before gluing in place 

20240518_105958.jpg

20240519_131012.jpg

20240519_131102.jpg

20240519_130137.jpg

20240519_130217.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Hi there Mustafa.

While perusing your earliest posts (I wanted to see what scale you were using to construct your Constitution), I saw that in a reply to me in your post #3, you added the photos you used in post #340 above in your reply to Greg about how you built your ladders.   

Just an FYI.

(I don't know why, and this is why I checked your scale in post #1, but your photos make your Conny seem much larger than mine).

Edited by Der Alte Rentner
corrected post # reference

25 minutes ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Hi there Mustafa.

While perusing your earliest posts (I wanted to see what scale you were using to construct your Constitution), I saw that in a reply to me in your post #3, you added the photos you used in post #340 above in your reply to Greg about how you built your ladders.   

Just an FYI.

(I don't know why, and this is why I checked your scale in post #1, but your photos make your Conny seem much larger than mine).

Hi Peter. Unfortunately, I do not have a scale plan.  I will ask you to measure the length of the spar deck of your model for me. If you can do this and let me know the measurement, I will calculate the exact scale of my model and let you know. Thanks in advance.

Here is the US Navy1931 Spar Deck Arrangement Drawing (in two parts) for your reference.

Jon

24422001_1.jpg

24422001_2.jpg

Edited by JSGerson

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

You are right, Peter. My model is a little larger than yours, but not by much. :)

I did some research, actually I should have done this at the beginning, Conny's length according to Wikipedia is 63 m from billet head to taffrail. When I measure my model I see that it is 89.7cm. Accordingly, the scale of my model is 1:70, not 1:76. 

Dear friends, please accept my apology for this. :)

I would be grateful if an administrator could revise the scale in the title accordingly.

Edited by mtbediz

Mustafa,

Constitution is looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me