HM Cutter Speedy 1828 by oakheart - from plans drawn by Bill Shoulders in 1972

3 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

This gives a fairly clear example:

Thanks Craig @iMustBeCrazy that as you say gives a clear example, what a fantastic resource RMG is.

so now I have a couple of names, channel is the block of wood, chainplate is the metal strip. Is that correct?

Now I am thinking I will make mine like this, with a planted strip on the outside.

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

3 minutes ago, oakheart said:

channel is the block of wood, chainplate is the metal strip. Is that correct?

Lets just say the chainplate is metal, it can be a flat bar, a few flat bars, a chain, a really long chain link or a combination.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

here is yet another revision of the chains mockup

chainsrevised3.jpg.5f9399a49f5c91742717558e868f6f44.jpg

I have tried to incorporate the advice you have all given.

Tim

Current Builds :

85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

Found one.

ZAZ6367Dart1810_2.jpg.998fcb7233863e1ca62e5109195da814.jpg

And the channel should follow the deck and or wale. That is, lower forward.

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Tim,

If you haven't this book, it's worth consiidering.   There are some errors but it' does provide a good overview.     zu Mondeld's Historic Ship Models.  Online sources are pretty varied as to content and explanations but zu Mondfeld will get you started.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

11 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

And the channel should follow the deck and or wale. That is, lower forward

Another thing I was not really aware of.

Current Builds :

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

zu Mondeld's Historic Ship Models.

Thanks Mark @mtaylor, I happen to have purchased a copy from the famous Booths bookshop in Hay-on-Wye last summer. I often go there as it's only 40 mins down the road. I paid £5 which was a bargain looking at the prices online.

Now I have some non fiction bedtime reading. 

Tim

Current Builds :

10 hours ago, druxey said:

Spacing looks realistic now

Thanks @druxey and I will make sure to follow the line of planking.

Tim

Current Builds :

Managed to get some good work done over the last two days.

working from  Bills booklet

waterway.jpg.82bf28680657b6684d29db6131d6dbd9.jpg

Bulwarks lined, spirketting in place on both sides

bulwarkslined.thumb.jpg.a505c87fc8d2f34746373cb45f3c60c8.jpg

otherside.thumb.jpg.8088ae4f63a626c79eb3302dba3c5b11.jpg

now I need to cut away the gun ports, line them and add the waterway fillet

Tim

Current Builds :

Probably too late but the sides of the ports are perpendicular to the keel and the top and bottom are parallel to the deck.

Craig.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

the sides of the ports are perpendicular to the keel and the top and bottom are parallel to the deck.

Hi Craig @iMustBeCrazy

Not sure which you mean here?

I have got it wrong or they are correct?

I did make them as per the drawings ( yes I know they are in the wrong place  😞 ) and they are trapezoid in shape.

It could be the angle of the photo. You can see it better in the photo in post  #123 

On a different topic

Seeing it coming together I do think that the all pale wood is a bit too bland and needs some variation, so I need to do staining. as was discussed earlier.

Tim

Edited by oakheart

Current Builds :

53 minutes ago, oakheart said:

I have got it wrong or they are correct?

Just one of those learning things. With photos of curved surfaces it isn't easy to tell so it was just a caution. basically, the sill is the same distance above and parallel to the deck, the head is the same and the jams (sides) are perpendicular to the keel. This does often give trapezoidal ports.

Lapwing1in24Ports.thumb.PNG.f115ff9cffcc9a2c614955212d376be1.PNG

1 hour ago, oakheart said:

Seeing it coming together I do think that the all pale wood is a bit too bland and needs some variation, so I need to do staining. as was discussed earlier.

Do some tests and on the model, start lighter. You can darken it with another coat if needed.

Craig.

1 minute ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Just one of those learning things.

I have still got plenty of those to go..................

Your drawing show it really well, I was not clear before, but looking at the drawing it I am  now. thanks.

Current Builds :

Just now, oakheart said:

but looking at the drawing

a thousand words, I wonder who first said that.

Craig.

4 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

start lighter. You can darken it with another coat if needed

Thank Craig @iMustBeCrazy That's good advice, I will need to mask the deck as I am happy with that.

Will test on scraps first.

Tim

Current Builds :

Mixed up some NotWOP  50% varnish, 50% stain, it gave a nice milk like liquid.

tested it some some scraps, seems to work.....................

WOPstain.jpg.a0e87355691ae2d87ad43b2c366bb04b.jpg

Masked up the hull, then I bit the bullet, it was a bit of a pucker few minutes.

Here is a profile view of it drying, I guess it will change tone as it dries but I am pretty pleased with the result.

maskedupandstainedprofile.thumb.jpg.befa8514ecd7c2ca936fe71ee10c3f6a.jpg

View of the stem end

stainedstemview.thumb.jpg.686ab0f461a2fd9a49444e075e2f1890.jpg

Now I'm going to sit down and have a cup of tea, or maybe something stronger  🙂

Tim

Current Builds :

beautiful build Tim

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

16 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

beautiful build Tim

Thank you so much. It is difficult sometimes to keep up the enthusiasm but a few encouraging words help a lot.

Current Builds :

@Mirabell61 I just had a quick look at your Pegasus build, it's fantastic, that is the kind build I aspire too.

I would love to do a cutaway ship like yours, but I feel I still have a lot to learn.

Tim

Current Builds :

The hull is now dry, so here it is unmasked

unmaskedside1.thumb.jpg.20dd4dac641466060f9cee3cb0eaed99.jpg

unmaskedside2.thumb.jpg.e10e08995a116202f45d5a68c5c1f922.jpg

I think that the wale needs to be a lot darker than it is.

The fashion piece ( when fitted ) should be the same tone as the wale

thanks everyone for the likes

Tim

Current Builds :

Thanks Tim,

I wish you a lucky hand for your next cutaway ship project

In my hobby office there is the Pegasus on a shelf and my grandchildren love to look into the model which is in head hight in a glass-case (dust protection)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

There may be a terminology issue: the fashion piece is part of the framing at the stern, under the planking. Perhaps you meant the quarter piece. That attaches aft over the planking above the wale.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Looking closely at the planking I can see that the water based WOP ( NotWOP ) has raised the grain but only where I had not sanded down enough.

The finish had looked really good but scratches left by coarser grits are now showing as raised lines. 

raisedgrain.thumb.jpg.fbd9d44a1b08a7ffc52172a8bd0a53eb.jpg

Does real WOP do this as well?

Tim

Current Builds :

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, druxey said:

There may be a terminology issue

Thanks @druxey I think you are right there does seem to be different usages of the term 'fashion piece', I am still learning so just use what I see used here on MSW.

Chuck Passaro used the term on his speedwell build, in that instance it was a carved piece, I just assumed it would also apply to a simple uncarved piece applied in the same place.

As I said before, there is so much to learn.

Tim

Edited by oakheart

Current Builds :

51 minutes ago, Gregory said:

I believe this has been referred to as a fashion piece on Cheerful.

I knew I had seen it some other place as well, thanks @Gregory

Tim

Current Builds :

I can't resist playing, placed a few bits on deck just to start to get a feel for how it could look3quarterfrontsomeparts.thumb.jpg.134eec5ff8dda3f38f23717ac3c7b0cf.jpg

profile1.thumb.jpg.c81a7070ec0f96b2a88d8173511142e3.jpg

testwithcannoninplace.thumb.jpg.a72b24e1b9458b050f4683446098df5e.jpg

off for a snooze now

Tim 

Current Builds :

Got a good amount done today.

Darkened the wale and added the rail under the gunports, don't know what it's called.

profileview.thumb.jpg.f7f599c1980b312e5562873bab04017a.jpg

stemview.thumb.jpg.2d3541c30289007efcae6a337e834010.jpg

made the quarter piece or fashion piece, I made it in two parts as the test I did did not bend well

fashionpiececu.thumb.jpg.98df4c27127fe6c5bf66b7186a81a522.jpg

sternwithfashionpieceinplace.thumb.jpg.2d0053fb283b21e1eeab44d8addf59dd.jpg

amazing how the photos highlight all of the bad parts as well as the good

I am enjoying having got this far and it does not look too shabby, especially as this is only my second single plank on bulkhead scratch build.

thanks for all of the likes and help / encouragement you have all given me.

Tim

fashion piece is two parts.jpg

Current Builds :

Now I need to do the opposite side, the cap rail on the transom, then it's onto making and fitting the details.

I will need to keep referring back to thunders @Thunder build for guidance.

Chucks @Chuck Cheerful is also similar enough to be a great help here.

Does anyone keep a list of what needs to be done next?

Tim

Current Builds :