Tips to start building model ships again

Adri

Good morning everyone!!!

I am happy to have found such a well done website and with so many competent members!

I built my only wooden ship model 25 years ago (the Blueshadow ).
I would like to build something again now.
So I am certainly a newbe, but not too much, I have manual dexterity, patience, determination.

So I ask for advice.
I would like an adequate model to start again, but not really a starter-kit, something that already poses me some challenge, that will not keep me at the table for years.
Looking around I'm leaning toward: ( in ascending order of difficulty, I think)

1- Santa Maria 1/64, it seems really an entry level, undecided between two brands:

Artesania Latina https://artesanialatina.net/en/gift-ideas/62400-gift-pack-1-65-santa-maria-caravel-model-figurines-paints-and-tools.html
This all-inclusive kit would make my life easier, instructions seems to be detailed. (Is it so?)

Amati https://store.amatimodel.com/it/modelli-amati-classic/prodotto-scatola-montaggio-santa-maria-b1409.html
Is this perhaps a more professional kit?

2- HMS Snake 1/64 Caldercraft https://premiershipmodels.co.uk/product/hms-snake-ship-model-kit-caldercraft-9002/
Pobably it would be the absolute best option, in various stores and forums it is stated as suitable even for novices, of a complexity that poses a good challenge right from the start and I think it would be a good school. Only flaw, does not seem to be for sale in any store in Italy or Europe at an acceptable price, and , mhhh, a model 250€ worth to use for practicing?

3- HMS Endeavour Artesania Latina https://artesanialatina.net/en/gift-ideas/62421-gift-pack-1-65-hms-endeavour-ship-model-figures-paints-and-led-lightning.html
I am afraid this one is too complicated and time spending, maybe it could be the second model.

What I am looking for, above all, is easy to read, detailed and accurate instructions.
Historical accuracy doesn't interest me that much for now, I just want to practice with one/two models.

So ... what do you think?

Adrian

If you really like HMS Snake, then have a good look at either Speedy or Flirt from Vanguard Models. They're products of the same designer, Chris Watton, but much more up-to-date in terms of design, materials, and user-friendliness.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

I agree with Chris, Speedy or Flirt should fit your parameters nicely both in style and doablity.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

I would have to agree with Chris. Out of the three i would say that the Endeavour would be the most difficult to plank and the Snake the easier. However, having built the Caldercraft Cruiser i would have to say that instructions are not great. The newer models from Vanguard will be exceptional.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Hi Adrian,

I would agree with Chris and Mark, have a look at Vanguard’s models. 
I have the “Snake” and keep putting off starting it, I would not call it a starter kit, more intermediate and to make it into something you would be happy with will need some extra effort over and above what the instructions say.  Don’t get me wrong Caldercraft kits are good, but as a reintroduction into this great hobby, then perhaps save them for the next kit. 

2 hours ago, Adri said:

a model 250€ worth to use for practicing?

You get what you pay for. Pinching pennies on a starter kit is just as likely to frustrate you as cheap kits are more likely to have poor materials and instructions. Investing in a kit from a quality company is a more reliable path to enjoyment and proper learning.

I've been working on the HMS Snake for years on and off. I'm not saying it's a bad kit, it's just a lot is expected from the modeler to just figure out. Who knows maybe it's right up your alley.

Some day I'll finish that damned thing! 

I'm with the rest of the group on recommending The HMS Speedy or Flirt from Vanguard. Good quality laser cut parts and excellent instructions. 

46 minutes ago, Adri said:

Thank you guys!

Definitely i'd have to go for the Speedy, but  >=400€   mhh let's think about it.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, but stick with vanguard, alert is a great kit. Also the new cutter Chris just released (Trial) also looks very interesting.

Edited by Thukydides

Hi!

I'm arrived to a final decision, yeah!

I'll start with Santa Maria from AL and here is why I came to that decision:

PROS:

It's a cheap model: 150€

Instructions clear and step by step

I can buy the kit including paints a figures

Found a spanish utuber step-by-step full tutorial really well done

Many choises to buy from

CONS:

Probably not historically accurate

Other vendors may have better build quality

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS:

Now I would like to be able to concentrate on the construction technique, without having to interpret deficient instructions or having to customize or correct the model.

I need some model that helps me to re-enter in this hobby, to get used to it again.

This will be a construction of a model where I will probably make several mistakes, so it must be cheap ...

I will treasure your valuable suggestions, get stick to Vanguard models, but in Italy their kit are really very expansive!

I'll keep their model for whenI'll be more experienced.

Next questions:

Is there a list of other kit made by Chris Watton, not from Vanguard?

Can you suggest me the first tools that I really need to start with?

Thank you so much for your help!

Edited by Adri

Chris did a lot of work for Amati but not sure what models.   

As for tools.... there's topics in this area:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/18-modeling-tools-and-workshop-equipment/   Almost all posts with advice have "buy only what you need but buy the best you can afford".   Start easy.... X-acto type knives, tweezers, some sanding paper then build from there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Start easy.... X-acto type knives, tweezers, some sanding paper then build from there.

And clamps! Lots of clamps of all types and sizes. I have a wide array of clamps, from bulldog clips to clothes pegs as well as proper clamps designed for carpentry. I also find a small vise that you can attach to a table is often helpful.

Steven

And a plank bender, and did somebody say clamps, lol    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati