Hello

DerekMc

Hello,  I'm new to the forum. Long time model builder focusing on free flight airplanes, high power amateur rocketry and narrow gauge model railroads. I like models of all types!  I've always likes boats and ships so now that I'm an empty nester I'm looking at building a ship of some sort.  I'm checking out the resources on this site and it all looks cool.  I love reading related to my interests so I joined The Nautical Research Guild pretty much for the Journal!

I have a dedicated room in a new home for my modeling and am in the midst of the set up. Still building a bit on the side though. The initial set up should be done in the next couple of weeks.  Big decision at the moment is how to vent the spray booth!  

A few of my modeling interests and figuring out how to insert images:

Peanut scale rubber powered flying Farman Moustique.  Not exact scale but it flies great! Balsa and Japanese Tissue

6X2UHyYl.jpg

One of my high power rockets. A fanciful missile. 60 inches long.  I traded it to a friend.

2evo2KAl.jpg?2

The rocket on its way a few years ago- it hit about 3000ft (900m+) altitude.

2fKMCFFl.jpg

Finally, a picture of me launching one of my Free flight competition rubber powered airplanes-  FAI F1B International class

wPHEG3v.jpg

Looks like I figured out how to share pictures. 🙂

Now to explore the site and research a nice first build ship!  Long term goal is a nice 1/48 ship to receive freight from my narrow gauge model railroad.  Lot's of options! 

Edited by DerekMc

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW from the UK. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW, Derek! You might like to have a look at this site to work out what vessel you'd be best starting off with.

But definitely start with something simple, learn the skills that are specific to ship modelling (particularly wooden ship modelling!), and work up to something more complex as you gain confidence.

And when you begin your build, you should also start a build log. If it's a kit, go to https://modelshipworld.com/forum/130-build-logs-for-ship-model-kits-by-era-launch-date/ and choose your time-period, then follow the instructions here to begin the log: 

A build log is a great way to get help and advice from people who've been doing this for years. In my experience the membership here are very helpful and friendly.

And have fun with it! That's the whole point of doing this stuff.

Steven

Derek, Welcome to Model Ship World!  You've got quite a variety of modeling interests; aircraft, rockets, trains and now ships.  What kind of ships are you interested in?  Bluejacket and Model Shipways have some nice entry level wooden ship models that would be a good choice as a first ship model.  As it's been said many times on MSW, start small and work your way up to more complicated models later.  Although tempting, I would save the USS Constitution or HMS Victory for later.  This is a great forum.  Welcome Aboard!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

On 11/12/2023 at 1:51 AM, Louie da fly said:

Welcome to MSW, Derek! You might like to have a look at this site to work out what vessel you'd be best starting off with.

But definitely start with something simple, learn the skills that are specific to ship modelling (particularly wooden ship modelling!), and work up to something more complex as you gain confidence.

And when you begin your build, you should also start a build log. If it's a kit, go to https://modelshipworld.com/forum/130-build-logs-for-ship-model-kits-by-era-launch-date/ and choose your time-period, then follow the instructions here to begin the log: 

A build log is a great way to get help and advice from people who've been doing this for years. In my experience the membership here are very helpful and friendly.

And have fun with it! That's the whole point of doing this stuff.

Steven

Thank you Steven. I will check out the thread you shared for sure. Believe me, I intend to have fun!

14 hours ago, Wawona59 said:

Derek, Welcome to Model Ship World!  You've got quite a variety of modeling interests; aircraft, rockets, trains and now ships.  What kind of ships are you interested in?  Bluejacket and Model Shipways have some nice entry level wooden ship models that would be a good choice as a first ship model.  As it's been said many times on MSW, start small and work your way up to more complicated models later.  Although tempting, I would save the USS Constitution or HMS Victory for later.  This is a great forum.  Welcome Aboard!

Thanks! I do have a variety of interests for sure. I'm not as involved with Free Flight contests and rocketry due to housing moves. Those events are a multiple hour drive away now.  I will still participate but at a lower level.  The model railroading and shipbuilding are "in my house" events that travel with me wherever I move. 

I decided to go with a Model Shipways Norwegian Sailing Pram as a first build. It's on its way and I'm looking forward to it's arrival.

Hi Derek and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have picked a good kit for your first ship model.  There are a lot of build logs on MSW for this kit and here is a link to them: https://modelshipworld.com/tags/Norwegian Sailing Pram/

I hope you start a build log on your model so that we can follow your progress.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

1 hour ago, DerekMc said:

I decided to go with a Model Shipways Norwegian Sailing Pram as a first build. It's on its way and I'm looking forward to it's arrival.

Welcome aboard.  You have made a very wise decision in your choice for a first build, you obviously did your homework.  We lose too many novitiates because they have chosen kits that are too advanced or are poorly designed.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome! You’ll fit right in.

I need to come hang with you. Looking to build a L1 rocket here soon. I also still build the little ones although we’re limited to 500 ft AGL in France. Booooooooo……

20230328_173540.jpeg

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

20 minutes ago, Auger said:

Welcome! You’ll fit right in.

I need to come hang with you. Looking to build a L1 rocket here soon. I also still build the little ones although we’re limited to 500 ft AGL in France. Booooooooo……

20230328_173540.jpeg

Nice rocket!  Good luck with your Level 1.  I'm Level 2. I thought about Level 3 but it's to expensive. Those M size motors are pricey!   500ft AGL would be tough.  My club launches from a sod farm with 9,600ft limit. It's mighty nice! 

As I first posted, I'm organizing a new modelling room after a move.  I have lot's of tools. Many extras because a modeling friend of mine died recently and I received several boxes from his widow.  Lot's of great railroad books and tools. I hope to organize the extras and duplicates and make them available to fellow modelers. 

One corner of the room with a messy workbench:

OeZzKUvl.jpg

Time to get organized. There is a ship kit showing up soon!

Edited by DerekMc
spellcheck

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me