Hello from Canada!

Tyguy35

Hey, I have actually been browsing this forum for quite some time but have never introduced myself. My name is Tyler, I live in Canada and am currently getting to the end of my first build the Occre Polaris. I am hoping to move on to a frigate next then the montanes also by Occre. I do currently have Occres Diana waiting to be build but after seeing other builds and how low the gallery is compared to the gun deck it throws me off quite a bit. Anyone have any suggestions on other frigates. How is AL’s Hermione? 

I think my biggest problem when ship building is planking the hull. Understanding how to do it correctly and efficiently. 

Look forward to learning from all you on this forum. Have a good one. 

Tyler 

Welcome aboard, Tyler. You will find plenty of resources on this site. There are tutorials on planking, for instance. (More > Planking techniques) Check out other build logs and then start one of your own.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Welcome aboard!

What part of our nation do you hang your hat in?  I'm on the east coast in Halifax area.

NS

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Welcome, Tyler. You found the best, friendliest and most helpful spot on the internet for ship modeling!

Just Ask - and Ye Shall Receive.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

16 minutes ago, NavyShooter said:

Welcome aboard!

What part of our nation do you hang your hat in?  I'm on the east coast in Halifax area.

NS

I am in Ontario (unfortunately) haha. Most of my family is in Newfoundland though. 

52 minutes ago, druxey said:

Welcome aboard, Tyler. You will find plenty of resources on this site. There are tutorials on planking, for instance. (More > Planking techniques) Check out other build logs and then start one of your own.

thank you I’ll definitely check it out. 

14 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

Welcome, Tyler. You found the best, friendliest and most helpful spot on the internet for ship modeling!

Just Ask - and Ye Shall Receive.

It definitely does seem like a friendly place. 

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Manitoba. 

Edited by Knocklouder
More info

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 1 month later...

Welcome Tyler - I'm also in Ontario and currently building the AL Hermione.  Let me know if you have any questions about the kit if you're still leaning towards it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current: Hermione La Fayette - Artesania Latina 1:89

Previous: Gjoa - Constructo 1:64

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

I don't visit this topic often enough.

Allow me to add a late Welcome to the group from a fellow Ontari-ari-ari-oh-ian with roots well anchored in the rock.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)