Need a Table Saw

Go to solution Solved by Roger Pellett,

Hello everyone! I primarily build plastic scale models, huge focus on modern USN as I'm active duty. I just recently opened a little side "business" since I've had fellow shipmates, chiefs, and officers that want a model of a specific ship they were on. Some of them have requested a display case for them as they'll be moving around a lot to new duty stations. My question to yall is, which table saw do I need? Can I get away with a tablesaw from Home Depot or Lowes? Or do I need something like MicroLux, Proxxon, or Byrnes? I plan on using hardwood as I know someone that has there own mill. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll be posting my current build of the USS Fitzgerald DDG-62 soon!

WELCOME TO MSW!!!

What size are the cases?  Sounds like a good quality regular saw from a hardware would suit, but how are you going to move it around when you change ships?  Maybe better off with a mini.  Byrnes is considered by all that have used one as being the best but I am not sure on delivery since Jim passed away a few weeks ago.  The business is still going, but you might want to give them a call to see what the status is on getting one if that turns out to be your choice.  Remember that the blades are small compared to a full size table saw so you are somewhat limited on the lumber size it can handle.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I am not sure about the availability of the Byrnes's saw anymore, since Jim's passing.

I personally don't own his saw, I have a Proxxon saw (which is OK for my purposes), but I think that the quality of the machines you mentioned goes in reverse to your sequence, the best is Jim's saw, than goes the Proxxon and the Microlux (which I was told, is basicaly a Proxxon, but with a different motor, slightly weaker one).

Also, you should remember, that Jim's saw can only do a right angle cuts, while the Proxxon can do angled cuts as well as 90 degs cuts - you can tip the blade. For shipmodeling, this feature is not used frequently, but when you need it, YOU NEED IT!

I am sure, others will add their opinions to mine and perhaps contradict me a bit as well... That's the beauty of this forum!   😀

Edited by Dziadeczek

A display case means that you will cutting dimensional lumber to size. For that a good 10" portable contractor saw like a DeWalt or Ryobi would be best using a good fence and sliding miter gauge plus many of these are pretty light weight. I have heavy duty cast iron table JET JTS-10 with a Delta fence and INCRA miter gauge. This saw weighs in at a lot of pounds but with that said, when 'tuned' it will shave pieces down to .010 but is overkill if you aren't doing a lot of work and moving often. Something like a Byrnes or Proxxon are great hobby saw but not big or powerful enough to size dimensional materials.

I live in Norfolk,  I think I remember being shown a small building on the main here base that had woodworking tools that the living on base team members could use for hobby projects.  If your duty stations also have this,  get the specifics for the machines there and buy your own blades.  If they have a router with a table, you could also have your own bits to have trade mark molding profiles on your cases.

See what picture frame jigs are there.  Maybe base maintenance has a woodworking shop - if they have not outsourced even that?

Another possibility:  for each base, do whatever passes these days for wanted pages with base personnel, and get with someone who already owns the machines that you will need.  Get their data and buy your own blades and bits to fit their machines.  I would be much more likely to lone out use of my machines, if the borrower brought his own gear that will dull, or break.

You really do not want to haul full size machines from base to base - or at least I would not care to do it.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hank, welcome to MSW. Thank you for your service and I hope you're able to locate the necessary tools. Glad to have you aboard.  

Hi Hank! Welcome to MSW!  As a father of a Naval Aviator, thank you and your fellow shipmates for your service.  I read some history regarding the Fitzgerald and the 2017 incident.  God bless all those sailors involved, and to the seven lost lives.  Again, thank you, sir, and your fellow shipmates for your service.

Regarding the table saw, I am one of those who are hoping that Byrnes Model Machines begins production again on their table saw, as I am ready to buy as soon as...  Proxxon would be my second choice. 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Thanks for the replies everyone! As of right now, most of the kits I build are Arleigh Burke DDG's and Ticonderoga CG's, I have a some WW2 era kits in my stash for myself. But the DDG and CG, the models aren't longer than 21 inches so the cases will be about 25 inches in length. I plan on using cherry wood and whatever hardwood looks good to me at the mill. Will a proxxon on byrnes do the trick? It's a shame about Jim passing, I've had his website open on my browser waiting to order a table saw for a few months now. Would love his table saw but I do not want to bother his family in their time of mourning.

44 minutes ago, GGibson said:

Hi Hank! Welcome to MSW!  As a father of a Naval Aviator, thank you and your fellow shipmates for your service.  I read some history regarding the Fitzgerald and the 2017 incident.  God bless all those sailors involved, and to the seven lost lives.  Again, thank you, sir, and your fellow shipmates for your service.

Regarding the table saw, I am one of those who are hoping that Byrnes Model Machines begins production again on their table saw, as I am ready to buy as soon as...  Proxxon would be my second choice. 

It's really sad. My friend I'm building it for was stationed on the Fitzgerald, he checked out of the command 4 months prior to the accident and found out while he was in school for a new NEC. He knew all those guys and was very close with a couple of them. Making sure this model is amazing for him and it has a good case to go with it!

• Solution

Byrnes saws do one thing exceptionally well; they cut small dimensioned lumber and brass to exceptionally close tolerances they are helpful if not essential for scratch building models.  The Proxxon saws are close but no cigar.  I would not use my Byrnes Saw for cutting hardwood framing from rough sawn lumber.

For building wood framed glass display cases a full sized table will suit you better.   Most of the work is ripping and grooving.  I use single strength glass and a blade that will cut a 1/8” kerf is necessary.  Miters can be cut with a quality miter box but a table saw with the proper blade and a good adjustable crosscut guide will work better.  I use a set of Sears Craftsman moulding cutters mounted on my table saw for the moulded edges of the case, but a Router can do this too.

My present table Saw is a 10in Delta bought used.  This is a bid heavy brute not intended for shipping to a new duty station every three years or so.  My two previous saws were much smaller 8in saws that built several cases just fine.  I would look at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Etc. To see what they offer.  You need:

5/8in arbor.

rigid fence and crosscut guide

Power!! No such thing as too much 3/4hp  minimum

Largest table for your $$

Ball bearings

Adjustable depth of cut (for grooving)

The lower prices saws are probably one of the familiar hand power saws mounted upside down in an arbor.   Higher quality saws feature separate motors  with v belts.  Variable speed?  If offered, a useless marketing gimmick.

I second Jaager’s suggestion for finding a quality used saw.

Roger

Hank, FYI, there’s a new Arleigh Burke out from ILoveKits (Trumpeter?) in a 1:200 scale that’s available from Squadron - the reviews I’ve seen are good and I’ve got one on order. The scale is large enough to allow much easier detailing than the others scaled at 1:350, although the case would have to be larger. 

I have a Byrne’s saw and couldn’t live without it, I really hope that they can continue. Back in the summer, they closed their site to orders for everything except their new disk sander, so I ordered one and it was delivered the same week Jim passed. It’s a real jewel! Jim’s tools are works of art - he will be missed. 

Don