Cross Sections

Malazan

In my limited experience, yes, especially if you're interested in trying plank-on-frame construction. They're also excellent if you have limited space. 

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

Are cross sections a good way to gain experience and gain building skills?  

Without a doubt yes they are but it does depend on your previous experience.  Before I started building my current and first plank on frame ship I seriously considered a cross section first.  The reason I personally chose the ship was because I knew deep down I would prefer the final outcome of a complete ship. 

I also thought that if I thought I was capable of building a cross section - well I could probably build the whole ship.  I was seriously mistaken as the commitment is so much more as is the learning curve.  I will say though that the experience for me has been amazing and I would not change my personal journey.

So - If you don't feel that a complete ship is for you yet then this is a fantastic way to test the waters of scratch building and learn loads along the way.  It also requires far less capital to get it done too.

I agree with the others that a cross-section is a great entry to scratch building.   You might have a look at the Triton group build as there is a cross-section model.   Here's a link:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/89-cross-section-build-logs-for-hms-triton/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I was looking at this one COREL HMS VICTORY CROSS SECTION 1:98.   It seems to have a little bit of everything including some rigging work.

Or maybe one of these 

MAMOLI USS CONSTITUTION CROSS SECTION 1:93

OCCRE SANTISIMA TRINIDAD CROSS SECTION 1:90 SCALE MODEL SHIP KIT

Edited by Malazan

John

If you're looking to develop your scratch building skills then a cross-section is a great introduction. You may wish to check out the Echo. The plans and building instructions are available for free from our Admiralty Models website https://admiraltymodels.homestead.com/Tips.html. There are also several builds on this site if you do a search for "Echo". Triton is another good choice (as suggested above). A scroll saw and the ability to thickness your own wood would be useful for a scratch build. Otherwise there are some interesting x-section kits on the market. Alaskan yellow cedar is a much less expensive alternative to boxwood and easy to work with.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough, I've decided to do cross-sections after doing full models.  So I'm a bit backwards (or maybe upside-down, being from Australia) 🙃.

But as others said, they are a great way to learn a lot of the techniques.  I see a lot of new builders struggle with planking a full ship (especially a bluff bow), and getting it right (fairing, tapering, spacing, etc) can be daunting - and take a lot of time.  With a cross-section, you get onto making fittings, doing masts, and rigging quicker - so a little bit of everything you may do in a full model.

Plus not being retired yet, and doing other types of models, it takes me years to do a full ship.  Also, my wife was sick of them being everywhere - they take up a fair bit of shelf space!

So, cross-sections should be quicker, some of the kits out there are good, and they offer a great intro to scratch-building as said above.  Plus I can display a few in the same space as a full ship.

I'm working on the Modelers Shipyard HMS Sirius at present - here's the build log:  

Like any kit, it's not perfect and can do with some improvement - again a god way to get into modifying and scratch-building some components.

I have the Hatchett (? part-series with books) sections for Victory and Endeavour, and a few scratch ones planned.  I have the AL San Francisco but I'd avoid it, see the build logs on here - hull frames are weirdly thick, ladders don't fit, etc.  So will be a lot of work to make it presentable.  The OcCre ST looks good.  I'll probably do the Model Shipways Constitution rather than the Mamoli one, as it's slightly larger.  With the Anatomy of the Ship books you can do a good job of scratchbuilding the ships they cover.

Dive in and give one a go - and do a build log 🙂.

Darren

Current Projects:

1/48 HMS Sirius cross-section by Modeler's Shipyard

1/72 HMS Vanguard cross section based on Victory Models full kit (researching)

Projects Awaiting Start:

1/48 HMS Endeavour cross-section (DeAgnosti)

1/72 HMS Victory cross-section (DeAgnosti)

1/24 Armed Longboat & English Pinnace (Model Shipways)

In vase you want something different: kolderstok is about to launch a cross section of a Dutch Pinas. I have seen the prototype (in real life, not just a pic), and it’s really nice one.

https://kolderstok.com/blogs/nieuws

Perhaps @*Hans* can tell us when it will be released 

Jan

Edited by amateur

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/17/2024 at 10:40 AM, amateur said:

In vase you want something different: kolderstok is about to launch a cross section of a Dutch Pinas. I have seen the prototype (in real life, not just a pic), and it’s really nice one.

https://kolderstok.com/blogs/nieuws

Perhaps @*Hans* can tell us when it will be released 

Jan

It is available, I have mine at home already. It looks good.

https://kolderstok.com/products/test?variant=48902049366342

20240131_160351.jpg

Edited by Marco_van_H
Picture added

About a year ago, I finished my build of Model Shipways USS Constitution cross section. A link to my blog is in my signature block below.  I found it to be a lot of fun and a bit challenging at times. No question planking a cross section hull is pretty simple (unless it is a cross section of the bow), but the rest of the build provided lots of varied opportunities to learn. The mast and rigging (especially rigging) took me the better part of a year to complete (but I'm not a speedy builder). All of my builds have been (and always will be) great learning experiences, and my Connie was no exception.   

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 1:11 PM, Marco_van_H said:

It is available, I have mine at home already. It looks good.

https://kolderstok.com/products/test?variant=48902049366342

20240131_160351.jpg

A little bit late from my side, but yes, it is  available!

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available