La Mahonesa by KLarsen - Scale 1/48 - stern cross-section

Trying to get the rear frames perfectly aligned seems almost impossible; is there any secret trick to getting it done? 

The transom pieces have the correct angle, I've sanded and measured them plenty of times and they are fine. I can get the frames to sit almost correctly but there's still 1-2 mm misalignment between the port and starboard ones. I can probably sand that but still. And how do I make sure the upper part of the frames are sitting correctly? 

PXL_20240130_191249434.thumb.jpg.b56626bbb46c6da918319e75b6c23ff3.jpg

Hi mate I feel your pain 👍. I ended up making mine twice as getting the transom fillers to fit the fashion pieces is tricky. In the end I glued the transom pieces to the stern post. This kept them still and in alignment which allowed me to file a nice straight angled edge between them and only then did they sit nicely on the fashion pieces. Keep going and you’ll get there 👍👍

Does anyone have any information on how the frames were bolted together at the end of the 18th century? From what I've found round headed bolts were used in the British navy, but I've seen others use square headed bolted on Spanish ship models. And were the bolts bronze or iron? 

I'd definitely be easier for me to make round headed bolts but if square headed were used, maybe I can make them somehow. 

You need a marked out building board so that you can drop perpendiculars from the frame (or whatever) to the plan on the baseboard. I don't think there is any other way to get the frames placed exactly and symmetrically. You can see the maximum breadth line on the baseboard in the photo below.

Comet 30.7.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I'll make a building board for the rest of the frames, for this last one I used a template made from cardboard to check the correct angles. 

I've decided not to make bolts this time because the last frame has to be sanded a lot, and I simply don't know where to put the bolts so they don't get sanded down. I had this problem with my last build too (Santa Caterina), where the end frames were sanded almost diagonal. 

So I've gone ahead and glued the yoke and frame on, I hope I've been precise enough but it's really difficult to judge with all the angles. 

PXL_20240202_184524434.thumb.jpg.0430b2f782a75869d84686de9f16feac.jpg

With this done I can start on the "normal" frames in front of the half frames. Those should be easier to do and can help with aligning the rest of the half frames. 

That really looks like a great job - as for the later frames being in line and perpendicular I agree with druxey you need a datum on the base of your building board or higher up.  This will ensure that the frames are in the correct position.  I have found that measuring constantly keeps things just about right. Great build 👍

59 minutes ago, No Idea said:

That really looks like a great job - as for the later frames being in line and perpendicular I agree with druxey you need a datum on the base of your building board or higher up.  This will ensure that the frames are in the correct position.  I have found that measuring constantly keeps things just about right. Great build 👍

Thanks! My idea is to make a base plate with a copy of the frame plan on top, and another plate lifted to the height of the wales more or less, where I also trace the position of the frames. Basically as I did with my Santa Caterina build. Would that work? 

For now though, I'll prepare all the normal frames (just 5 for this cross section) and dry fit them. 

Yes, I think that will work. I did similar with the stern stanchions on my build. Altho that is a complete different kind of boat.

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

• 2 weeks later...

Starting on the full frames. For now they're just dryfitted, it'll be a long time until I can glue them in place. I'll make a building board when I get to that point. 
Sawing out the pieces by hand takes some effort but it can be done. I've no room for an electric saw where I currently live anyway.  Someday hopefully I can have a full workshop for my hobby... PXL_20240211_183138699.thumb.jpg.6313e750912b0ed27b4071d273368997.jpg

Yeah, space and tools... but on the other hand, learning to do it with less is beneficiary to the skill level in the long run 😉 

Nice job so far.

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

For the stern and bow my model never left the build board so I could retain my extreme breadth line which helped keep it at the width the frames needed to be set at,and by drawing the frame locations on the upper board made it easier to keep the cant frames evenly spaced.20220509_212102.thumb.jpg.85bb823d13fbb6f982d4615bb1be0408.jpg

1 hour ago, native one said:

For the stern and bow my model never left the build board so I could retain my extreme breadth line which helped keep it at the width the frames needed to be set at,and by drawing the frame locations on the upper board made it easier to keep the cant frames evenly spaced.

Looks great, I'll copy your building board, I just need to buy some plywood. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress lately, only that I built the cradle / building board to attach the frames. 

Unfortunately I didn't install the last cant frame perfectly well, it's about 1-2 mm off compared to the other side. Probably not much I can do about that now though. I'm using rubber bands to try and force it back a little, maybe when I install the rest of the frames and keep them together with the wales it'll stay in the correct position without warping the whole model. Or maybe not... 

Honestly I don't feel like starting all over so I'll have to accept it as it is. After all I chose this model to learn how to build plank-on-frame, and this is one of those lessons. 

Now I'm kind of scared to glue the 5 full frames in, in case I mess it up. 🙃

PXL_20240304_162144889.thumb.jpg.671ff1a2fb110916911a7e04ccc62965.jpg

4 hours ago, KLarsen said:

Now I'm kind of scared to glue the 5 full frames in, in case I mess it up

Well, if so, it is a learning experience as you've already stated 😉 

From what we can see of your photos you will be just fine. Don't rush it though, that's never a good idea.

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

• 3 weeks later...

Well that turned out much better than I'd hoped! 
The hardest part of the frames were sawing all the pieces out by hand, but I eventually got it done (with a sore arm!) and the installation went very well. It definetely helped having a disc sander with a tilting table which allowed me to sand the angle at the foot of the frames with great precision. 

PXL_20240322_173159491.thumb.jpg.397641b1f28e5b1a9f930a7774218541.jpgPXL_20240322_173935217.thumb.jpg.7714db8bb44d8a077fe23f55da17e012.jpgPXL_20240322_173352184.thumb.jpg.967c0546153fa00854750fe12df973b9.jpgPXL_20240322_173326099.thumb.jpg.0eea1ec86109d718cd4b1abff20853f1.jpg

17 minutes ago, No Idea said:

I have to say that your work is fantastic - Great joints and it's so symmetrical too.  I found that making the fashion pieces correctly to fit the wing transom and filler pieces was particularly difficult and you have smashed it - top job!

Thank you!!! 😊

I wouldn't say it was easy though! 

Looks really good, well done!

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing with the rear frames that will make up the stern gallery. Those stern pieces were a bit tricky to make, I ended up cutting them a few millimeters thicker and sanding them down to shape with the rest of the frames. I think it turned out pretty well! PXL_20240408_170934101.thumb.jpg.04ea681989326f84740e8116fd48926d.jpg

PXL_20240408_170845556.thumb.jpg.603ea45b6363343da013f2badf76c9d2.jpgPXL_20240408_170949434.thumb.jpg.30cabd7475e8a18f462538a5d7c7c064.jpg

Most of the rough sanding is done, but there's still a lot to be sanded. Sadly I just gouged the yoke a bit this afternoon when sanding the stern, not much I can do about that now though. Also I need to fill out that triangular area below the wing transoms and then sand it all flush.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to La Mahonesa by KLarsen - Scale 1/48 - stern cross-section
  • 2 weeks later...

Some more progress. I've installed the wales, the lower one was difficult to bend at the stern but I got it done. I've also gone ahead and trimmed the frames to their (almost) correct height and made the cutouts for the upper gun emplacements (not shown on the first photo which is from a week ago).
I'm now turning my attention to the interior, I installed the keelson and will start on the strakes on which the deck beams are resting.
PXL_20240502_084938053.thumb.jpg.7e57ce240c22d35e0b461e82486809ac.jpgPXL_20240506_172856493.thumb.jpg.6f1c41b1f0b7e3d90d975e647bb981eb.jpgPXL_20240506_173027214.thumb.jpg.4551e233e2b4636c35f7d557482b64a2.jpg