Blades for Artesania Latina Cutter

Go to solution Solved by Gregory,

This isn't going to be a review of this cutter, I'll do that in the review section.  Not sure what these blades pictured below are called, but does anyone have any recommendations on blades that don't break with light use?

This cutter came with about 5 extra blades and I have already gone through 2 of them and I have cut probably less than a dozen pieces using this tool.  The first blade snapped on a piece of 4x4 sapelli, so I have stuck to cutting 2x5mm strips, after a handfull of them I glances at the blade and the new one was already chipping.

First blade that broke after cutting a piece of 4x4mm sapelli

PXL_20240217_221523321.thumb.jpg.151c5400dfdd255964a7f9118f491df7.jpg

Second blade after about a dozen pieces of 2x5mm basswood

PXL_20240224_193722488.thumb.jpg.dba2feeb32d99764f1e1a404ece368b8.jpg

These are the blades the cutter uses, is there a name for this type?

PXL_20240224_193812046.thumb.jpg.f7238558f0fd0eb86487ba63c5181671.jpg

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

Get your money back.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

That blade is a razor blade from a classic machine, I think it's very soft for cutting wood.

image.jpeg.e46f8b383a3e7c02a7e3819b246b827a.jpeg

Try to replace it if possible with a carpet cutter blade or similar.
The blade in the image measures 39 x 18.4 mm. The measurements of a razor blade are 43 x 22 mm. 

recambio-hoja-martor-45-10-unds.jpg.d929ea807e1173600d12f2974b98ceef.jpg

Salutacions

Belco

Sorry but I disagree.  Properly heat treat steel tears.  It does not chip like these blades did.  Ordinary steel used for consumer products is relatively soft and ductile.  It cannot be hardened by heating and cooling.  To produce steel suitable for holding a sharp edge it must be alloyed with something else, the cheapest way being to increase the carbon content.  This “tool steel” is hardened by heat treatment. After heating to a high temperature, it is rapidly cooled by quenching in water or oil.  In this state it is very hard, brittle, and can shatter under impact.  To make it usable it must be tempered at a low temperature.  It would seem that in producing these blades the final step was omitted.  

Long story short, they’re defective.

Roger

Amati sells such blades like this one, but have a look around as there are different types of them.

But this plastic tool is not designed to cut such thick strip as the 4x4. For that one you will need a saw. The use of this is to make repeated cuts by the same length or same angle, like cutting deck planks from thin strip (after adding a stop to the tray). 

If you can't cut the strip by a handheld knife, neither this tool will do. 

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

Why would one cut 4 mm x 4 mm wood with a gouillotine and not properly with a saw?

There are probably several factors that led to the blade failure in these application: too thin blade, blade sticking out too far, and not stiff enough tool. All these are inherent in the tool, which probably wasn't designed for such an application. If you'd use a stronger/thicker blade, something else will break or wear quickly.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

HI brunnels,

I have a pack of identical looking blades which I inherited about 20 years ago. They are called Balsa hobel klingen (plane blades) manufactured by a German firm called Martor in Solingen. I've only ever used them for scraping decks etc,they're good steel and hold an edge. I suspect your blades are likely a product of the PRC.

Dave :dancetl6:  

3 hours ago, wefalck said:

Why would one cut 4 mm x 4 mm wood with a gouillotine and not properly with a saw?

Because one is new to the hobby and wasn't sure what the tool would be able to cut.

Edited by brunnels

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

Kurt is right.

If chop is the way you wish to go

Harbor Freight has a mini chop saw that will cut thru thicker stock rather than crushing the fibers

It is Harbor Freight  so it is not a Rolls.   The table wants a layer to bring it up to the level of the bottom of the "vise".

It wants to sling the off cut.  You do not want your fingers as close to the blade as it would take to hold and prevent that.

StewMac has a Japanese Curved-edge Mini Saw  that I like - cutting on the pull stroke- good.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

36 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

If your need is to cut wood strips for planking a POB kit hull, a Model maker’s razor (Hand saw) works fine.

Thanks, that is what I already have and use and it is great.  The AL Chopper was a gift, I am trying to be polite and find some use out of it with better blades. 

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

• Solution

They have these at Cornwall Model boats

You might be surprised how low the shipping can be. Very competitive with cost from someplace like Micromark or ModelExpo.

Ages of Sail has what looks like the same thing for a different tool.  You would have to check the dimensions.

Edited by Gregory
Removed store info for Arizona - Poss SCAM

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon