Hi from South Africa - novice alert!

Hi everyone at MSW, and thanks for having me on board.

I'm based in Mossel Bay, South Africa, and am very excited at the prospect of starting my first model ship. A love for all things ocean-going was previously expressed in sailing, including ten years on Captain Robert Beebe's original wooden motor yacht, Passagemaker. However, my experience with all things wood is unfortunately currently restricted to rough sanding, varnishing, amateur carving, and an unfortunate incident where it was necessary to put a blow torch to the hull to barbeque a shipworm infestation. However, despite a long-standing appreciation for wooden ship models, I have never tried my hand at modelling before. 

I have purchased, on a whim, the original San Francisco Galeon S. XVI Wood Ship Model Kit (AL #20408), second-hand (in hindsight, no, not ideal, yet here I am). The original owner had already progressed as far as starting the first layer of hull planking, but even to my untrained eye, it was a bit of a botch job. Thus far, I have only dug out nails to remove this planking, followed by light sanding. The bulkheads had not been faired whatsoever, and will probably be my first hands-on job to ensure proper placement of the strakes. I am also concerned about the bulkheads, with not all having been glued/fixed at a 90 degree angle. Any advice in this regard would be much appreciated! 

At the moment, I am purely delving into online resources to learn the basics of ship modelling, and already several posts on MSW have been extremely enlightening. I am also compiling a list of basic tools to start out with, comparing quality and price. Unfortunately, a modelling hobby costs a pretty penny out here on the southern tip of Africa, with a heady shipment fee added to the import of quality tools. So the aim is to start out with the bare bones and then work my way up as time (and skill) progresses.

Please bear with me as I am still familiarizing myself with the correct terminology. I am working through the multitude of helpful posts that have already been provided to new members, and will try to avoid asking questions that have already been answered!

I look forward to opening a build log soon, and would absolutely appreciate any and all advice, guidance, and mentoring offered, hoping to learn from the vast experience of MSW members.

All the best,

Louise

:sign:

Louise this is the place to be,  Good luck on your journey !!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ingo said:

Mossel Bay, South Africa,

Welcome to MSW Louise!!  Made it to Cape Town, East London, and Durban way back in the day, but unfortunately missed  Cape St. Francis (surf's up), and Mossel Bay both of which we wanted to visit.  Beautiful part of the world, sharks and all.    

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Mossel bay... mossel baai in 🇳🇱 😉

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 hours ago, Ingo said:

Thanks Knocklouder, half my day has already slipped by engrossed in planking tutorials...

allanyed Lately the Great Whites in Mossel Bay have been fleeing the scene, being actively predated by orcas. Guess there's always a bigger fish (or mammal) in the sea. And it's never too late to visit!

Welcome to MSW Louise!  :cheers:
The Great White eating Orcas made it on to the news here in the UK, like you say, there will always be a bigger fish somewhere!

Looking forward to your log. 

Welcome aboard Louise from South Africa and look forward to seeing your first project.You are now officially in very good hands although not so much myself as i am a relative novice too.Best Regards Dave .

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me