18th-century Pinnace by Chuck - FINISHED - 1/2" scale

Chuck,

I just wanted to say "Thanks" for the pics.

I've just begun work on the ship's boats for my Connie, and logged on tonight hoping to find some photographs to help me.

Whilst the MS plans are excellent, they do lack without actual build pictures. Your long-boat builds have helped me visualise the whole thing much better.

PS: Would it be OK for me to link to this build from my MSW build log ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 4 months later...

I am not new to the desire to participate in the ship modeling experience, but have never completed anything!  Some of my excuses are lack of time and frustration because I lack some of the skills (my fault because I have had the opportunity to ask questions, but haven't).  I have about ten funny shaped objects in the basement, which are only identifiable by the nearby box and my knowledge of what they were supposed to resemble when completed.  However each attempt has given me more confidence and skills and hopefully gets me closer to attempting and completing something.  Enough of my self pity.

Over the past few years, I was part of the group build of the Hannah with the Ship Model Society of New Jersey.  Great experience, but still not completed.  Some day!  

I'm in the process of building the Pinnace as part of the New Jersey Ship Model Society group build.  Since this is my first planking experience, a question (or maybe more).  Please excuse my lack of correct terms.

All of the bulkheads are installed and faired.  The first plank, along the sheer, has been bent and appears to fit the lines of the bulkheads and conforms to the sheer.  Obviously, I have to install one side of the sheer plank (port) before the other side (starboard) can be installed.  What mechanism/clamp can I use to keep the stem edge of the sheer plank correctly and firmly in the rabbit while the tail of the sheer plank is bent around the side?  I presume once I get the sheer plank in place, I can use small spring clamps to hold the sheer plank to the bulkheads until the glue dries. Is the correct, or more appropriately, does my question make sense? Thanks

Tarawa03    

I id the whole model using yellow carpenter's glue...That is except for the planking.  For teh planking I used CA.  I was able to glue the plank across the first few bulkheads at the bow after pre-bending the strake.  You should have to force it into position if the bend is close enough.   Then I am able to slowly glue two or three bulkheads more as I work the plank towards the stern.  The CA should hold the plank in the rabbet at the bow.   If you add a drop of glue in the rabbet and the filler at the bow along with teh first bulkhead...that should do it.  That is how I planked my Pinnace.

Chuck

Hi Chuck or anyone else working on the Pinnace,

Another question - Do the planks have to be beveled?  I looked at the Pinnace and the Longboat instructions, but there aren't any comments about beveling.  From what I can see, it appears beveling is necessary.  Help?  Thanks

Tarawa03

Yupp...you should absolutely bevel the planks.

Beveling is always required when planking a ships hull.  The edges of each strake should be beveled to fit snug against the one already on the hull.  Hope that helps.

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Pinnace Builders,

I am at the point of fashioning the garboards.  Here is what I think I know:

1. The forward most end of the garboard should only be slightly forward of the edge of the scarf joint.
  2. It appears the plank tapers at the bow, but for the most part lays flat, conforming to the shape of the bottom of bulkheads as it approaches the stern.  
  3. As it approaches the stern, there is a dramatic twist so that it eventually lays against the false keel. 

My question involves the taper at the stem.  It looks like the taper is short, only 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the beginning to the point.  Does the taper shaving occur on the keel side (bottom) of the plank and the plank is then bent down into the rabbit? Shaving on the bottom means the top edge will be "straight" to accept the next higher strake, which probably would be shaved consistently on the bottom.    Or, is the taper shaving on the top?  Shaving at the top would mean the next higher stake would also be shaved on the top?  Obviously, all other planks are tapered into the stem. 

Thanks

Tarawa03

Tarawa03,

I can't answer your questions as I've not done this model.  I'm sure someone else will.   Have you given any thought to doing a buildlog?  It's a ready made way to get help and answers.  It will also leave a legacy for anyone else who buiids this kit. They'll see your problems and solutions. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful model Chuck, I could see myself making one at 1 1/2 inch scale, after I get a couple of other projects finished.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 years later...

love this pinnace Chuck,

I believe it`s one of the most beautiful ships boats on MSW. Those lines are so wonderful to kook at, pure 18th century  art !!

Thanks for sharing this beauty

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you....Hopefully I will be able to show the larger barge in progress very soon....it is very similar but with more decoration.  And its much larger.  This one will be fully framed...you can see the keel assembly as compared to the Cheerful model.

shallop.jpg

Cherrytest.jpg

shallop1.jpg

Wow !

:)    :)    :)

That will be another masterpiece Chuck....

are you intending also to leave her unplanked below the waterline, that filigrane structure is fantastic

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

A great follow-up on the launches Chuck - she will make a delightful model.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 years later...