Use of “other power tools”

This may have been mentioned before but have any of you tried cutting with cricut or similar device?

I’ve used my wife’s once and it did a really good job (surprisingly).  I was cutting out a building out of 1/16” thick basswood clapboard.  You have to put your work face down for the windows and doors to be a tight fit but the cut was good and clean.

Yes, I've considered the Cricut as well. My daughter has one. The manufacturer's specifications indicate that grown wood or veneer up to 2.4 mm thick or plywood up to 1/8" thick (why they mix the measurement systems, I have no idea) can be cut on the machine. I suppose, theoretically at least, that computer data for an entire ship model, in some cases, at least, could be sold for use on the machine to cut out all the parts for a decent model. In theory, at least. It would have to employ some card stock modeling techniques. The machine surely has many applications for modeling, although most all of which I'm aware are already well-covered by existing technology.  They seem to be a lot of fun to play with. Whether you need one or not, is up to you.

I used a Cricut once to attempt to cut planks from 1/16" boxwood.  There was not need for a second attempt.  It worked fine on basswood.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

You can use cad but some of the drawing programs I’ve found that the only thing I had to do was resize the whole wall to the correct size and then cut it.  

when I resized everything the windows and floors were then the correct size as well.

You can also just draw with the cricut program and no resizing is needed then.

A cricut is not a machine that could or even should replace a laser cutter.  It’s just a less expensive way to cut your own parts.

cricut is a few hundred dollars a laser in a few thousand dollars.  Definitely a big difference in price and also quality of cut and what you can do with a laser you can’t do with a cricut.  Cricut too limited.

But if you don’t have the money for a laser and you, your wife, or partner, has a cricut,  try it see what it can do.  It surprised me.

Oh to answer another question about the blade.  It’s a swivel blade.  When the machine changes direction the blade free rotates and follows.

For 1/16” basswood you have to set it up to do multiple passes.  When I get to my computer I’ll post a video of it cutting the sides for the above structure.

Posted (edited)

Video of the cricut cutting out the two roof pieces.  I tried to upload the one where it's cutting the windows out of the side walls but video to long 🙃.   Might be longer than a laser to cut parts, but you don't have to clean up any burnt edges !!

Edited by kgstakes

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, kgstakes said:

(don’t think 1/8-1/4) but maybe

At worst it would score it and make for easier cutting with other tools.  I used to do that with a low power laser.

Just checked the latest Cricut model.  It says bass 2.4mm thick, so that will include 3/32..  

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Posted (edited)

ohhhh very cool machine. i once had a hermes sign machine... 24x36 vacuum table that operated very similar. i used a generic cad program and converted the files to a generic gpl laser printer format. i wonder if thats possible with this small machine? 

what is the computer interface? is it fussy about the operating system?

impresive!

Edited by paul ron

All these questions about the computers and interfaces and such.   I’m sorry guys but I’m a simple man have absolutely no idea what it is.

I’m sure if I dig into it I could tell you but right off hand I’m sorry have no idea.

All I know is I’ve use sketch up and that works (sometimes) and I’ve used freecad and that works if you bring it in to the cricut program and then resize the whole project to the correct size (which is just a few clicks).

Again sorry guys I don’t have all the answers you’re looking for……. Wish I did.   🤷🤷

On 4/8/2024 at 7:35 PM, paul ron said:

what is the computer interface? is it fussy about the operating system?

I'm pretty sure Cricut works with Apple and Windows.  It may even have a Phone app.   It will have BluTooth/WiFi capability and a USB connection.

― Jimmy Buffett

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gregory said:

I'm pretty sure Cricut works with Apple and Windows.  It may even have a Phone app.   It will have BluTooth/WiFi capability and a USB connection.

im wondering which ver of windows. 

is the interface usb, serial, parallel, does it require internet connection? is it stand alone capable?

gregory... do you have a machine?

Edited by paul ron

On 4/8/2024 at 4:03 PM, kgstakes said:

Oh to answer another question about the blade.  It’s a swivel blade.  When the machine changes direction the blade free rotates and follows.

What are the dimensions of the blade? Does it have issues with curves or can you only do straight lines and 90 degree corners? Would be an interesting device if it can do curves as well. When it only can do 90 degree angles and straight lines it wouldn´t be any use for me at least.

Unfortunately my wife would kill me to by a laser cutter right now (the second 3D printer took already really hard work to convince her) but the Cricut is much cheaper than a laser cutter and therefore more considerable atm.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I suppose if one is TOTALLY exasperated with how  a build is turning out, or perhaps a pet or toddler has inflicted enough damage that repairs would be impractical or badly show - you could  use one of the 'other power tools' ... like tossing the model into the chipper/shredder. 😉 

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

4 hours ago, paul ron said:

Here are the particulars.  Cricut

It should work with any operating system that supports BlueTooth or USB.   It's not so much the OS as it is connectivity support.  I believe the interface is web based.

I don't have one, but my wife uses Brother Scan n' Cut which is a similar machine..

― Jimmy Buffett

ahhh i see. they dont say anything about computers in the blurb, thats why im trying to get some answers from an owner. its a nice gizmo for what most of us can expect of a small cnc machine but to be able to do cad or other drawing pgm designs on my pc, then send it to the machine in a common file format, thats as easy as it can get. but blue tooth doesnt interest me. usb connected to what can be propriatary...  that can get fussy with limiting software that only runs under certain os and or needs internet... is it compatable with a universal output file format available in other programs?

thats something an owner can tell me. i may contact the company n see what they say. or i might find a user manual someplace.

brother makes some decent sewing machines. ill see what they have too.

thanks

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, paul ron said:

is the interface usb, serial, parallel, does it require internet connection? is it stand alone capable?

gregory... do you have a machine?

It is not a stand alone,  Internet access needed.  I do know that much🤪 and I have windows.  Other than that 🤷🤷. Just worked for what I tried.

Oh and usb or WiFi it’ll work both

Edited by kgstakes

5 hours ago, Gregory said:

Here are the particulars.  Cricut

It should work with any operating system that supports BlueTooth or USB.   It's not so much the OS as it is connectivity support.  I believe the interface is web based.

I don't have one, but my wife uses Brother Scan n' Cut which is a similar machine..

Yeah what he said 😇

9 hours ago, Scottish Guy said:

What are the dimensions of the blade? Does it have issues with curves or can you only do straight lines and 90 degree corners? Would be an interesting device if it can do curves as well. When it only can do 90 degree angles and straight lines it wouldn´t be any use for me at least.

Unfortunately my wife would kill me to by a laser cutter right now (the second 3D printer took already really hard work to convince her) but the Cricut is much cheaper than a laser cutter and therefore more considerable atm.

Micha

It’ll cut curves the machine will follow what ever the drawing you have programmed it to cut.  Don’t see any problems with cutting a curve.  The blade is designed to swivel. 

this is the deep cut blade that I have for the cricut for cutting basswood up to 1/16”.  Newer models might be able to cut deeper don’t know.

IMG_2088.thumb.jpeg.c8216567ce5ad6cc2fc28e29c2e61a8a.jpeg

11 hours ago, kgstakes said:

It is not a stand alone,  Internet access needed.  I do know that much🤪 and I have windows.  Other than that 🤷🤷. Just worked for what I tried.

Oh and usb or WiFi it’ll work both

well thats sad but exactly what i suspected. i dont understand the need for a machine to rely on internet. if it needs to talk to the company on the net... its not your machine.

next!

22 hours ago, paul ron said:

well thats sad but exactly what i suspected. i dont understand the need for a machine to rely on internet. if it needs to talk to the company on the net... its not your machine.

next!

True but what the machine is designed for, the site has many designs, cards, etc to pick from and make your own.

Technically it wasn’t designed for the modeler.  A stand alone machine would be great but for the money, you have to give up something.

All I can say is that I tried it other modelers have tried it and it works.  A cheaper way to get something cut out other than buying a laser cutter which is out of my range.  

Oh and it really works well for making signs for your models as well.

i don’t know if micro mark version of this is stand alone either…. Be interesting to see if it is or another machine similar to the cricut.  I know my wife would like stand alone machine.

I’ve looked at 3D printers, looks neat and what they can do is cool, but too technical for me and the price is way out of my range.  Plus I’m a wood guy rather build with wood than plastic.

Figures and details I can see a 3D printer coming in handy but for me I’ll stick with my model tools, be it hand or power tools.

Have fun building!!!

Posted (edited)

We have a Cricut Explore 3 - the machine is tied to the software for conectivity because of proprietary drivers, and the Cricut Design Space software is tied to the internet either via PC and USB, or the app version which connects via bluetooth to the machine.  You can design in other art / graphics software and then import.

We also have another machine, the Sillhouette Curio.  This is very similar to the Cricut in what it does with a couple of plusses.  The Silhouette Studio software isn't tied to the internet, and the machine isn't tied to the software, there are several other softwares that can connect to it. 

They can both do things the other can't. Both can use a range of non-oem pens and cutters with adaptors.

Cricut will import only SVG and DXF in it's free software, while Silhouette will import DXF, PNG, BMP, JPG, GIF, GSD and TIFF (SVG in a paid version). Both will do more filetypes in the paid versions. In both programs DXF will open with the lines of the design ready to be marked for operations, as will SVG, all other files will need to be traced with the software (needs clearly defined lines) but is relatively easy to do.

The Curio will cut up to 2mm wood, as will the Explore, but both need several passes and higher pressure settings to do so. Corners and curves are well cut.

We have both only because they were going being sold off cheap by people who no longer needed them, and they came with loads of materials and tools. My other half said "I need them for my makes, and you can use them too!"

Having only had these a matter of a few weeks I tried both for some small cutting and drawing I found the Curio the easier of the two to use, but I've a long learning curve.

If buying new neither machine comes with much in the way of tools, and Cricut oem are relatively expensive items.

If you're looking to buy one, check out your needs and match them to a model in the available ranges that can do what you want.

She also said a laser cutter / engraver would come in handy for her projects so now I've got that one to learn as well, with Lightburn being the software of choice - while building an enclosure and extraction duct for smoke and vapours.

Edited by Bob Fraser

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

20 minutes ago, Bob Fraser said:

Lightburn being the software of choice

I felt that LightBurn doubled the value of my old 40w C02..  I now have a 40w diode, and I can't imagine not having LightBurn..

― Jimmy Buffett