DeHavilland Mosquito FB Mk VI by Danstream - Tamiya - 1/48 scale - PLASTIC

Hi all,

here I would like to start and share with you my new build of the wooden wonder De Havilland Mosquito 1:48 scale. The kit is the old, but still very nice Tamiya of the FB Mk VI (Fighter-Bomber).

IMG_0084_res.thumb.jpg.35312840dc31ae77cf5e9ebf33b01167.jpg

Since long time, I wanted to build a model of this aircraft because of its fame and because of its remarkable design. For me, this is the first Mosquito build as a grown up modeler if I exclude the ancient Revell 1/32 kit that I built when I was a kid. 

To start my build, I followed to the letter the Tamiya instructions which called the engine nacelles as a first step:

IMG_0085_res.thumb.jpg.26390046d2f63592f821f12a3d7095fa.jpg

For added 3-D effects, I just thickened the frames of the nacelles and added few interior details. The white panel shown on the inside walls is an artistic license of mine having used a piece of thin styrene to hide annoying ejection pin marks which I didn't want to fill and sand. In the following, the nacelles are shown completed:

IMG_0093_res.thumb.jpg.1050c00f04e31b48612b81a50fc314a1.jpg

They are test fitted with the wings and with the main undercarriage struts to check that no interferences with the new added parts are present:

IMG_0094_res.thumb.jpg.2ec4a3f44df4815135574cfd6b655c0c.jpg

I was a bit puzzled by the way the main undercarriage is supposed to be assembled. If I follow the Tamiya steps, I am going to get the large wheels in the way when I will have to finish off and paint the truss structure. Actually, it is desirable to be able to install the wheels only after everything is assembled and painted. To resolve this issue, I removed altogether the molded plastic wheel axles and replaced them with a brass tube 1.6 mm dia. that can slid in and out as shown in the picture.

IMG_0116_res.thumb.jpg.85e329029d729a835e02e4fe797020f2.jpg

Once trimmed in length, the new axles could be slid in place to install the wheels at the most convenient moment. Without the wheels in the way, I could assemble and finish the undercarriage structure properly and fit the brake lines made of lead wires. I also drilled lightening holes in the supports of the mud fenders to add a little, but nice detail. Here the completed undercarriages are posed within their locations on the lower wing halves which have been painted interior green.

IMG_0117_res.thumb.jpg.0393a31feba45fec14fe6650a1753c6b.jpg

I read that to improve commonality of parts, the real undercarriages were not handed, but I left them as they are intended in the kit because their modification it would have been a complication for me. Finally, the nacelles were glued in place and the half wings were completed. The undercarriages are now ready to be painted.

IMG_0118_res.thumb.jpg.466eef449785fdd0e76f9c026dac70ca.jpg

Not much, but that's all for now, thanks for having you following,

best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

• The title was changed to DeHavilland Mosquito FB Mk VI by Danstream - Tamiya - 1/48 scale - PLASTIC

Nice work....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Great start! I will be following along.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately, the progress with my build is quite slow, so I am updating my WIP just to show that it is still going on. I started with the parts for the interior of the cockpit.

IMG_0142_res.thumb.jpg.c4ac0ed7c4bedff73e0367fa72545a49.jpg

Actually, there are quite a number of parts and the best way to proceed is to take the necessary time for each of them. For the seat belts, I also bought the Eduard P.E. fret shown above and that contains them. With the seat belts, there are also a number of other details that are a welcome addition, including a plate with the name of the aircraft. However, when I tackled the instrument panel, I realized that this is colored with a blue tint instead of the usual black.

IMG_0145_res.thumb.jpg.07083fbd0c12bb4d5aa8997946fdf64d.jpg

I checked several reference photos and I never found that tint. It looks to me quite odd that Eduard opted for such a strange color. At any rate, I don't like it and I prefer not to use it. The problem is that I already sanded down the instrument details in the original kit part so I cannot use it anymore. I need to shop around for a suitable replacement. Meanwhile, I started to add few details to the kit parts. It isn't my intention to superdetail the cockpit, but I am adding just few things that might be visible through the Mosquito closed canopy. For example, this is the addition to the radio compartment:

IMG_0144_res.thumb.jpg.cc5618e57efa9a573f5992cdc8fb1156.jpg

Here with some colors and the radio boxes:

IMG_0149_res.thumb.jpg.4458b48027a8a82af493786a196ea493.jpg

Not much, but this is all for now.

Cheers,

Dan

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

If you just want to replace the IP, try Yahu models. Here’s an example from a Canadian retailer:

https://thunderbirdmodels.com/en/132-aircraft-accessories/446-yma3210-yahu-models-132-mosquito-nf-iifb-vi-instrument-panel.html

They’re relatively inexpensive, and ready to use.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

5 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

If you just want to replace the IP, try Yahu models.

Thanks, just found it here in the Netherlands (1/48 scale) at less than 5 euro. I just ordered it, together with an 'in action' publication about the Mosquito (you know, just to achieve an amount worthy of the order).

Cheers,

Dan

Love these. I'll follow along 😁 

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

Hi,

I went on with the cockpit parts. I eventually received the super nice Yahu replacement for the instrument panel which is shown here glued to the other kit parts:

IMG_0151_res.thumb.jpg.96fde3e62d6cf4bc9344c860f8c5b663.jpg

I have added three prominent control levers in the center of the panel made of thin aluminum foil to complete the appearance of the IP. These are the cockpit parts that are now basically completed:

IMG_0153_res.thumb.jpg.bcb77ab178567a671b7bd2f0a17a28c4.jpg

Differently from the instrument panel which was a disappointment, the Eduard seat belts worked fine and added a nice level of details to the kit seats. These are the same parts seen from another angle:

IMG_0154_res.thumb.jpg.96a75466bdfa72e2dce71cc7f8f1a7d8.jpg

This time, I am going to depict a used aircraft, so I added some grime and dirt by brushing on some pastel powder. Now the parts are basically ready to be assembled, but before I will spray a mist of matt clear to uniform the finishes and mute the glint of metallic parts. On the underside of the cockpit, we have the ceiling of the bomb bay which I also started to color. I first sprayed a black primer followed by a light coat of colors that let the black to be seen through (although not very visible in the picture):

IMG_0156_res.thumb.jpg.3f7bd00e575597db2bed58ef0c36057d.jpg

I will finish the bay by adding some more weathering effects to it. Presently, I am preparing the fuselage halves that need to have some of their annoying extractor pin marks to be addressed.

That is all for now, thanks for following,

Dan

Lovely work,  the  cockpit area  was my fave  part  when I built the  Revell  version  some years back.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 hours ago, king derelict said:

The cockpit details look great.

Thanks Alan! Glad that you like it.

3 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Looks great Dan! I’m glad the Yahu IP worked for you!

Thanks Andy! Yes, the Yahu IP was a great addition. After you mentioned it, I got a light bulb switched on.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Lovely work,  the  cockpit area  was my fave  part  when I built the  Revell  version  some years back.

Thanks OC. I also liked this one, with few additions I easily busied it up. However, the Mosquito has a closed canopy, but I am confident that something will be anyway visible.

Cheers,

Dan