alcoholic stain on blocks

Hi Frank,

What ship are the blocks for?  If for an English ship there are hundreds of photos of rigged models at RMG Collections website, the Kriegstein collection, Lees' Masting and Rigging, and other sources that might be of some help. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Not sure Lees (British ships 1625-1860) will be of a lot of help for an American ship in 1862 but it will be interesting to see what was used nonetheless.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Whilst built for the Confederate states, Alabama was built in the UK by Lairds of Birkenhead. Just a coupleof miles from where i used to live.

So she could have been built to British scantlings for the time period. 

There used to be a model of her on display at the outdoor swimming baths at New Brighton that was built by a member of the CSS Alabama Association who wanted to raise her.

Alabama Wiki

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Frank Burroughs said:

Alcoholic walnut stain for all the blocks.  Is solvent based the same as alcoholic base?

The first generation acrylic paints had icky surface texture - like chalk- the paintings that I saw - I did not care for the look. But the molecules are hydrophilic. They play nice with water.  Alcohol and acrylic molecules may not play nice together - or - a shade that is a mixture of pigments may have some molecules having a different affinity and the color come out different.

The lack of precision in the use of terminology leads to confusion and misunderstanding.

A dye has a solvent.  It is a true solution. individual molecules evenly dispersed in the solvent.  No settling, no change in content over time.  Where the solvent goes, the dye molecules also go.

A stain has a vehicle.  The pigment particles - a clump of pigment molecules - are temporarily suspended in the liquid carrier.  They settle out if left alone.  They stay on the surface of wood.

The dyes that I am familiar with are hydrophilic - they dissolve in water or alcohol - I think alcohol is preferable for scale work.  Surface fibers of wood do not swell with alcohol, they do with wood.

Some old style stains are organic solvent based.  Think of them as semi transparent paints that are wood colored.  Some stains must also contain dyes if they are featured as being "penetrating".

I suspect that an acrylic stain - if such exist - will use water as a carrier - an awful prospect to imagine as far as ending with a smooth surface.

I wonder if the fanatics who ban VOC products use water in their engines? 

Dyes are for high quality wood.  As with a fabric dye, the internal substance of the wood becomes the new color.  The grain is unaffected.  Other than the color, the surface is unaffected.  PVA still bonds it.

Stains are for wood with unremarkable grain.  The pigment sits on the surface.   I think a stain will either need a clear overcoat (a varnish - in the original meaning of that word - before there was commercial anything doing that)  or will also contain a polymerizing clear component (varnish stain) or a plastic (polyurethane).  

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

On 4/28/2024 at 4:18 AM, Frank Burroughs said:

Do I need to stain at all?

What do they look like?

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

What do they look like?

I agree.  Going back to the baseline and defining any problem is key to getting things done correctly.

There is no standard process.  What, if any, color adjustment depends on the starting material.

There are lots of How To articles covering block making.  An easy method for mass production and minimal individual block manipulation is a goal for many.

One possible beginning:

If you have plastic blocks from a kit -  then perhaps using a series of coats of a dilute enamel paint that is the desired wood shade?  

String the blocks on wire and dip them over and over?  Light touch as far as pigment density per coat?   On small  blocks - I see brush application being frustrating.  Using an aerosol application on a sphere - a lot of manipulation of the target - awkward manipulation.     

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

For small pieces like that on a plastic model, just paint them on the sprue.

It’s quicker and avoids a LOT of frustration.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

"Revell CSS Alabama 1:96 - set of 434pcs CNC walnut blocks and Clamp of Deadeyes" are what I am staining.

Hell, the more I learn the less I know!

I have changed my mind again.  After researching three dyes are needed to mix with alcohol.  Black for deadeyes.  Walnut for standing rig.  And tan for running rig.  Black is black.  Can I dilute the walnut to make tan?  Doubt it.

Before I purchase anything like to make sure this is right.

Where is the best place in USA to purchase small quantities of dyes?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Burroughs said:

Can I dilute the walnut to make tan? 

What color is your rigging line now?   Can you post a photo of all these things?   The reason I ask is that in looking on line at photos of contents of the Revell  Alabama kit, and photos of the actual ship the color of the blocks and deadeyes look good as they are.   The running rigging lines look good on photos of the rigged model, but the standing rigging looks almost black rather than dark brown.  

And to add to the fun, I found  photos of Alabama that show what appears to be both rope stropped blocks and internally stropped blocks.

Allan

Alabamablocks.JPG.eb11163801afbb7d6cfc7f22abc422bf.JPGAlabama.jpg.17f6b4134c20a605be9d680f541fb78c.jpg

Edited by allanyed

Posted (edited)

Assuming these materials came in the kit I had no idea Hobbico uses Amati rope in their Revell kits.  Live and learn.  Regarding the tan color for the running rigging, why would you want to stain it as it is already tan?  For the standing rigging I found a color sampling of pine tar that some may find interesting. https://solventfreepaint.com/pine-tar.htm

Allan

Stockholmtar.jpg.7b9f568d8e58a5aa990e77c0e0c78187.jpg

Edited by allanyed

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

Assuming these materials came in the kit

nah, bought a few after market parts

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

why would you want to stain it

new to all this, I have now idea

also, it is a new thing to try

finally, thought stain some of them would reflect the job they are doing

For those deadeyes in my Esther build, I used acrylic paint heavily thinned with water.

I put them in a throwaway glass dish (which has been reused on multiple builds) and take a largish brush.

I dip the brush in the paint and then in my paint water and then apply it to the pieces as an ink (in the same sense as in painting wargaming miniatures).

It makes a good staining effect for wood pieces.

I will do the same with all of the blocks that I am making now.

It is a little messy, but it has always worked well for me.

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

There is actually an example of a British built warship from this same era, carefully restored:  HMS Warrior.  She is on display at the Portsmouth Royal Navy Museum.  Pictures of her should be easy to find on the internet.  Look her up.  What color are her blocks.

Roger

Has anyone ever tried dipping wood blocks in tea to stain them?

Posted (edited)

Hi Phil

Black tea has a slightly low pH so probably not harmful to the wood.    Reading up on its use on wood, I found the following:

Tea can be a safe and natural way to clean wood floors. Black tea contains tannins, which can enhance the wood's color and depth, and add a light, warm "stain" that brings out the wood's natural warm tones. The tannins also naturally clean, enhance, and protect wood

Sounds like it might be a good idea but I have no experience with using tea.  Hopefully some other member has some experience with using tea they can share or you can be our pioneer and give it a try😀

Allan

Edited by allanyed

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Has anyone ever tried dipping wood blocks in tea to stain them?

I´ve done it a couple of times (not related to scale models but under different circumstances) also paper (which is somehow also cellulose - somehow wood) for staining it to look old (for bookbinding). It works well and it doesn´t harm the wood or paper in any way at least not that I noticed. I`ve done this for years now and never had any bad experiences with it.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a