New member and brand new (Paper) modeller!

Hello fellow shipbuilders,

I would like to briefly introduce myself. My name is Marcel and I come from the Netherlands. The land of famous shipbuilders. I have been a model maker since my youth (35+ years) and mainly in plastic and building armour.

But recently I started making paper model ships, and I think I'm hooked! I am now working on my third ship. I must say that I am quite inspired by the paper projects on this forum.
I'm not very good at keeping construction records, but maybe that will come naturally.
Greetings from the Netherlands.

Current project: HVM Seefalke! Paper ship model.

Posted (edited)

Welcome!

I started building paper ships a few years back after I found Ab Hoving’s tutorial on this forum.

I found it while on a business trip and read it several times and realized that it was doable.

When I got home I started the Prince de Neufchatel.

I’ve completed several since then.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hey Marcel, What ships have you been building? Welcome to MSW.

I just got into card modeling. I just butchered the seahorse Armed Virginia Sloop -1776. I was rushing and messed up some of the alignment... mistakes were made, and lessons were learned. Anyway, I've just got my hands on the Shipyard HMS Alert -1777 and have put all the frames together. Look's promising. 

1 hour ago, BenD said:

Hey Marcel, What ships have you been building? Welcome to MSW.

I just got into card modeling. I just butchered the seahorse Armed Virginia Sloop -1776. I was rushing and messed up some of the alignment... mistakes were made, and lessons were learned. Anyway, I've just got my hands on the Shipyard HMS Alert -1777 and have put all the frames together. Look's promising. 

I build 2 HMV kits, a small fishing boat included in the ''Seefalke'' set and the small HMV ferry Adler IV. And now I'm building the Seefalke itself. I started small, my goal is a battle ship and eventually the Seahorse ''Zeven provinciën''

Current project: HVM Seefalke! Paper ship model.

Welcome, Marcel!

Seems like there are quite a few card modelers here. Not too many card build logs active at any one time but the builders are here, watching and willing to help.

I'm not sure I'll go back to developing my wood working modeling skills. That's how much I'm enjoying building in card. There's not a lot of investment in tools needed (not to mention the space for a decent wood shop). I think there's a greater variety of kits available in card than in wood. Certainly card modeling has a lower cost of entry. If I spend 30 dollars on a card kit and never build it, no great loss. If I spend 300 on a wooden kit and never build it (or attempt and fail), well, the expense would just make me feel the failure even more.

And you can't ever regret trying a Seahorse kit!

I want to take the Seahorse Zeven Provincien and enlarge it to 1/64 scale to match my other models.

That one is on my bucket list.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Card models are kinda like Lay's Potato Chips -- no one can build just one

I can't/couldn't build just one if I tried.:)   I'm constantly amazed at you guys that can take two dimensional paper and create a three dimensional realistic object. I bet ya'll are great at putting up wallpaper!

:piratebo5:

En welkom to MSW 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW Marcel.  Ship models are easy to get hooked on.  I've loved the nautical since I was a kid in the 60's.  I remember building the Revell 1/96 Constitution and Cutty Sark on a picnic table in the back yard during my summer vacations.  That is until I tried to install the sails when they caught the wind.  I also build aircraft which my modeling group displays at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

Glad to have you aboard!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project:   

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified gift); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner, Model Trailways - 1/12 Doctor's Buggy (gift), Guns of History - Napoleon Canon and Limber

Welcome aboard here at MSW Marcel, enjoy the "scene" :)

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Posted (edited)

Marcel, Welcome! I've built a few Shipyard paper models, mostly the laser-cut kits. Temporarily on pause are Shipyards HMS Wolf laser-cut kit, and the Seahorse Armed Virginia Sloop kit. Hoping to get back to those very soon!

On 5/25/2024 at 6:15 PM, ccoyle said:

Card models are kinda like Lay's Potato Chips -- no one can build just one!

LOL! Hey Chris, I don't think that may be a universally understood reference!  😁 

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"