FW 200 V3 Condor by king derelict - FINISHED - Roden - 1/144

I may be overextending myself here but I don't think the Holland class submarine will take much longer to complete. This will be the next kit, a rare venture into aircraft and the surprises of a Roden kit.

RIMG0158.thumb.JPG.08e6ac92e06a1b5aa37afe35f1638b57.JPG

The kit provides several alternative markings for "you know who's" personal aircraft from 1938 to 1943, ranging from civilian schemes through camouflage to Russian winter white. I like the scheme shown on the box art, The kit provides decals for the gloss black elements and the base is silver.

I am trying to decide whether this should be a polished metal finish or whether it was silver paint. So far the photos suggest that teh fuselage and wings may be polished metal with silver painted fabric tail planes. More research need and any advice is very welcome.

The kit looks very simple but teh painting may be interesting.

Thanks for looking in

Alan

I may be mistaken, but I think Focke-Wulf built only all-metal aircraft, no fabric panels ...

There are various German-language resources on the Fw200 on the Internet, that should be accessible with the aid of GoogleTranslation:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_200

https://fw200-restaurierung-bremen.de

and https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=FW200&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

3 hours ago, wefalck said:

I may be mistaken, but I think Focke-Wulf built only all-metal aircraft, no fabric panels ...

There are various German-language resources on the Fw200 on the Internet, that should be accessible with the aid of GoogleTranslation:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_200

https://fw200-restaurierung-bremen.de

and https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=FW200&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Thank you wefalck. Everything I have found says that it would have been polished metal, no silver doped surfaces. Thank you very much for the input and links

Alan

Looking forward  to  this mate,    you don't  see that many  four engined  civil  airliners  presented in kits.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Fantastic subject!  Hopefully at 1/144 it shouldn't be too much of a space eater.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

21 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking forward  to  this mate,    you don't  see that many  four engined  civil  airliners  presented in kits.

OC.

I always thought the Condors were graceful aircraft. The kit looks pretty basic so it will be mostly a painting exercise.

Alan

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Fantastic subject!  Hopefully at 1/144 it shouldn't be too much of a space eater.

Hi Mike, 1/44 is a new scale for me. I have one or two aircraft in that scale that I can't afford space for at 1/72 or bigger. I'm curious to see how they turn out.

Alan

A start has been made in between finishing the other models in progress. The Roden box is very full of parts but there are large numbers of bits on the sprues that don't apply to this version.

RIMG0181.thumb.JPG.61ce487a161a9d97d95ae0955bd8b538.JPG

The windows were added to the fuselage halves. There are no interior details and no way to see them so the fuselage halves were then joined. The fit was excellent. Very little gap, just a nasty sink on the upper fuselage behind the cockpit. Adding the wings was another matter and a significant gap is present between the lower wing and the fuselage. I'm using Mr Dissolved Putty for the first time. Apart from the pungent smell I like it. It seems to dry to a harder and more workable finish than the Vallejo putty I have used in the past.

I've masked the windows ready for priming. The kit provided black decals that will surround the windows and cockpit and hopefully the masks will fall within the area of teh decal. An oddity in the kit appeared at this point. The decal for the nose has a window between the cockpit and the wing. There is nothing to indicate this on the fuselage mouldings but all the paint schemes also show the window. I have run a thin piece of masking tape across where I think the window will be and hopefully I may be able to drill it out after the decal is placed and shows where the window is situated.

On the other hand there is a window to the stern of the main run of windows in the cabin and this does not appear on any of the versions shown - but the instructions has you add the separate "glass" insert as if it should be there. I have filled it in per the photos I have found online.

RIMG0201.thumb.JPG.727fa330ad3cfebbb5cd459fa3a7d8c2.JPGRIMG0224.thumb.JPG.d8c9d0a30dfcfb711858fd7d326b0504.JPGRIMG0226.thumb.JPG.90e0ee9d2a0424d46f27728fa1a52271.JPGRIMG0227.thumb.JPG.6993d415fc64b2099321089d83f6bb37.JPG

I think I will try a trial black priming and see how many defects are still present. After priming I will build up the engine parts, cylinders and nacelles and add them

Thanks for looking in, likes and comments

Alan

Good  progress  so far  mate,    boy  do  I hate  the  windows  on Airliners  at this  scale   AKA  the  old  70s  Airfix  144 scale  Airliner  kits  -  I built-broke a  few of those in my  time.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Good  progress  so far  mate,    boy  do  I hate  the  windows  on Airliners  at this  scale   AKA  the  old  70s  Airfix  144 scale  Airliner  kits  -  I built-broke a  few of those in my  time.

OC.

Thank you OC. Oh yes I remember them well, also the clear plastic frosting with the glue if you got it on the piece. I remember the Airfix Concorde having those strip of window pieces.

Alan

Well, I'm not sure what happened this morning but this nearly took a short flight into the bin. I think it was the lack of detail parts and the look of the bare plastic daubed in filler. 

Anyway after a deep breathe I airbrushed some black Mig One Shot primer on and suddenly it seemed viable again. I found I still needed to add a bit more filler in places so primer will be reapplied tomorrow once the filler has been sanded down.

I'm actually thinking that I quite like the look of the Condor in flight something like it sits on the painting stick. I would use a length of clear acrylic rod and maybe make a base in the shape of Germany with 1939 borders. I'm not sure if this sort of thing is an acceptable presentation. It also leaves an aircraft in flight with stopped props so maybe I should leave the idea for the jet age.

RIMG0228.thumb.JPG.a5cdf3039cdc2c8060b86ed1271911b5.JPGRIMG0229.thumb.JPG.2f57239d0b47de862b48c7bfce19b4ff.JPGRIMG0230.thumb.JPG.02d95976ffc692f716b5b38ced9e7fd4.JPG

The landing gear is not bad but a bit basic. I spent a lot of time studying photos and video online trying to determine exactly what configuration is accurate.

So far it seems that the two bladed props are accurate and so is the modified window layout. I watched one video suggesting that D-2600 had a gun turret behind the cockpit but so far I haven't seen any photos to confirm it. A clear nose with a gun is also said to be there but again no photos. The kit has the relevant clear parts (as well as the gondola under the fuselage.

If I go for the wheels up option the main gear doors are part of the kit but I am not sure whether the wheel is supposed to protrude through the door or retract fully. Photos seem to suggest that they retract fully. The kit provides nothing for the tail wheel and again photos are vague whether the wheel is covered, retracts or just stays in place. As a trans-Atlantic airliner I would have thought they would have wanted every bit of drag cleaned up but maybe in 1937 it wasn't considered worth it.

So a few things to consider as I clean up for the next paint session.

I saw Roden have a 1/144 B-36. About a 20 inch wingspan even at 1/144!

Thanks for looking in and the likes and comments

Alan

A B-36? The Aluminum Overcast? There's one in Dayton, OH at the AF Museum. There once was a cargo version, the XC-99. It sat parked out in the infield at Kelly AFB, TX. Don't know if it was preserved. Immense aircraft, both of them.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I have a completed B36 hanging in my basement, from about 20 years ago. I think the wingspan is 39 inches. Awesome aircraft

7 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I have a completed B36 hanging in my basement, from about 20 years ago. I think the wingspan is 39 inches. Awesome aircraft

Yep that Monogram release in 1/72nd scale is a monster, (B-36H, small wheels version) touted as the largest model aircraft available when it was released... (record is currently held by the B-1B lancer in 1/48th)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

51 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Yep that Monogram release in 1/72nd scale is a monster, (B-36H, small wheels version) touted as the largest model aircraft available when it was released... (record is currently held by the B-1B lancer in 1/48th)

Yes but now some of the decals have dried out and are hanging down in places, some are missing, and it’s covered in dust. 

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Yes but now some of the decals have dried out and are hanging down in places, some are missing, and it’s covered in dust. 

Time for a re-do?  {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 8/8/2024 at 8:51 AM, Canute said:

A B-36? The Aluminum Overcast? There's one in Dayton, OH at the AF Museum. There once was a cargo version, the XC-99. It sat parked out in the infield at Kelly AFB, TX. Don't know if it was preserved. Immense aircraft, both of them.

Seeing one of them in flight must have been very impressive. An aviation sight up there with watch a thousand bomber raid pass overhead.

I have been to the AF museum at Wright- Patterson but for some reason I don't recall the B-36. I clearly remember Bochscar the B-29 (an appropriate reference for today) and a B-52 (or am I confusing that with the one at EAFB)

Alan

On 8/8/2024 at 8:58 AM, Jack12477 said:

Thats a phenomenal model. Painting it must have been quite a task. I'm sort of tempted by the 1/144 scale one but the FW200 has me somewhat anti-Roden at the moment😄

Alan

Not a lot of visible progress going on here. I seem to be stuck in a cycle of add filler, sand back, prime and repeat.

I decided to go with the in-flight concept after finally finding that the gear is full enclosed for the main wheels and the tail wheel is partially covered. The main gear covers were a struggle to fit and are the current source of the shaping activity. I'm not sure they were really intended to be closed. 

Its a bit heavy for my acrylic rod so I have ordered the next size up which I think will fit.

Thanks for looking in

Alan

5 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Seeing one of them in flight must have been very impressive. An aviation sight up there with watch a thousand bomber raid pass overhead.

I have been to the AF museum at Wright- Patterson but for some reason I don't recall the B-36. I clearly remember Bochscar the B-29 (an appropriate reference for today) and a B-52 (or am I confusing that with the one at EAFB)

Alan

As I recall from 20 years ago, the B-36 was outside.  There was small fuselodge of one inside the museum that you could walk through.   I suppose one of these days, I should make a trip back to my old home town and visit the museum while I'm there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thats a phenomenal model. Painting it must have been quite a task. I'm sort of tempted by the 1/144 scale one but the FW200 has me somewhat anti-Roden at the moment😄

Alan

It's a silver color. Don't remember if I painted or what.  Probably should take it down from ceiling and clean it up. It hangs next to a 1:48 scale C-130 which is painted in camo with rear door lowered. I also have an unopened 1:48 AC-130 Gunship kit.

11 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

As I recall from 20 years ago, the B-36 was outside.  There was small fuselodge of one inside the museum that you could walk through.   I suppose one of these days, I should make a trip back to my old home town and visit the museum while I'm there.

Thanks Mark

That would make sense - I don't think i got round to the outside displays. There was just so much stuff inside. Great museum.

Alan

5 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

It's a silver color. Don't remember if I painted or what.  Probably should take it down from ceiling and clean it up. It hangs next to a 1:48 scale C-130 which is painted in camo with rear door lowered. I also have an unopened 1:48 AC-130 Gunship kit.

A 1/48 C-130 must be a huge model too

19 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thanks Mark

That would make sense - I don't think i got round to the outside displays. There was just so much stuff inside. Great museum.

Alan

It still us great and even bigger and better from what I've heard from family.   You'll definitely need more than a day to see all of it. And it's still growing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

It still us great and even bigger and better from what I've heard from family.   You'll definitely need more than a day to see all of it. And it's still growing.

It was always the consolation for supporting testing out at the GE test site at Peebles OH. At weekends I would head over to Dayton and spend the day at the museum. Its an amazing place. 

Alan

22 minutes ago, king derelict said:

A 1/48 C-130 must be a huge model too

Here it is along side the B36, B17 and F4.  Please excuse all the dust, it's been hanging for decades. I have no other space to display them.

20221002_123931.thumb.jpg.845d6b67ba55102e5c3f113c765207ab.jpg20221002_123920.thumb.jpg.01649dd7e366bcc5510783c79e1489fa.jpg20221002_123905.thumb.jpg.5a20f72faadc92a2f66f92e9d93a8177.jpg20221002_123818.thumb.jpg.1cb9afb2cd2b93955d0613e04bc81d24.jpg