Hello ftom Colorado

k-slak

Excited to have found this forum and hoping to learn more from all of you.

On the Bench: HMS Bounty (Constructo 1:50)

I'm in late stages of my current build (HMS Bounty) and have had a hard time with instructions and drawing sets. Made some calls along the way that im not sure are accurate but it was the best i could do given information in kit and information or pictures i can find online. 

I'll start a build log of my progress soon and catch up to where i am now, just tangled in rope and sails. 

Question: how does one sew and get the sails to be full? Just starch? I am thinking to having some sails out and some furled.

17270916341166690630781503933603.thumb.jpg.27d836b223936c62f3b86b1ec70229bb.jpg

On the shelf (no build logs): HMS Victory Cross section (Corel), 18th Century Longboat (Model Shipways)

:sign:

Good luck on your journey!!   Bob  M

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

K, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. 

One of the better set of sails, IMHO, was made by Bruma for his Cutty Sark build. His sail making starts on page 6 post #180.

Edited by Keith Black

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Welcome to Model Ship World k-slak.  Beautiful work on your Bounty.  Yes, Plans and Instructions for kits from a few manufacturers can be lacking.  Additional research to augment inadequate kit plans and instructions.  Research as well as judgment calls are part of our hobby.   The research aspect is one which I find enjoyable.

I've seen a variety of methods, including those on MSW, for making sails.  Some modelers prefer cloth or ballooner's cloth to make sails but some cloth may be over scale.  Other modelers have had success using plain old paper or silkspan.  Personally, I prefer silkspan but that's just me.

Tom Lauria has posted a two-part video on making sails using silkspan.  Here's a link to his videos.

Best wishes on your modeling journey.  Welcome Aboard!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project: 18th Century Pinnace

Indefinite Hold for the future:  1/96 Flying Fish, Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia