America by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:72 scale

thanks Adeline.   it did for this ship,  because of all the mast hoops.   nothing was tied,  except for the standing rigging.  it just made it easier all the way around.  thanks for the good word :)

I know Keith.....the skis are on the table.   I've been putting most of the focus on the AmericA......but I will get to them.  I sent some pictures to Midwest.......I got almost a carbon copy of what M&M / Mars said about the fun ship.  I'm holding off on the gallery pictures until I get the skis in place.   thanks for the good word as well.

thanks Bob.....made me especially happy to get the shrouds in place.....one more sail to go.   I can tie everything in place in the meantime..      thanks for the good word

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

just a paragraph of how detailed and cool the build looked and that they would be passing the pictures around to their different depts.  it's good that I wasn't expecting anything from it.  kind of how I got to know Tom@ Billing USA........I had gotten the Nordkap and I was asking about the fittings kit for it.  I got this huge e-mail of how he was concerned about me building a kit that was so old {over 20 years},  as my first kit.  I even got to meet him in person last summer.........I built the Susan A for him,  and he and his wife came by to pick it up.   they are such wonderful folk....hope to see them again.

still,  it's nice to get a positive responce from the folks who make these kits  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Not even 1 free pack of M&M's, what tight wads. Oh well, go figure, its corporate america.

I read once of a guy that would take 2 M&Ms from the pack and press them against each other, until one smashed the other. The smashed M&M was eatin but the winner moved to the next round until "THEIR WAS ONLY ONE" kinda like highlander.

He would that send the winners to M&M with a  letter about how after extrensive endurance testing, that M&M had proven ist worth and should be considered breeding stock for future M&M's... They end up sending him free M&M's.

just a paragraph of how detailed and cool the build looked and that they would be passing the pictures around to their different depts.  it's good that I wasn't expecting anything from it.  kind of how I got to know Tom@ Billing USA........I had gotten the Nordkap and I was asking about the fittings kit for it.  I got this huge e-mail of how he was concerned about me building a kit that was so old {over 20 years},  as my first kit.  I even got to meet him in person last summer.........I built the Susan A for him,  and he and his wife came by to pick it up.   they are such wonderful folk....hope to see them again.

still,  it's nice to get a positive responce from the folks who make these kits  :)

Yes, Tom is a good fellow.  A couple years ago I wanted to buy plans from Billings USA.  Tom said he had to get them from the factory but a shipment was coming in next week.  The plans were not in the shipment.  But the owner was coming for a meeting and he would bring them, He forgot.  I ended up getting the plans for free.  All Tom asked was to send him a picture of the finished model.  I have not built it yet but he will defiantly get his picture.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

that's what started me to do the build logs........and the origin of Wenzels Wharf.   this is on word press.....but others are sub-divided into their own  'dry docks'.   take the name of the ship and put the words dry dock after them...you should find them online.

in our chatting back and fourth,  he asked if I would do a build log for him on the Nordkap.   I did........he also wanted to have a ship or two done for him.   I told him I didn't think I had enough experience,  but he should ask around on the site here......perhaps he could get a volenteer.   he asked me again later on.......convinced me to do the Cux.   after the Cux and the Nordkap was finished,  he sent me the Regina to do.........it ended up becoming the Susan A.    the build logs I sent him,  he condensed them and posted them on their website.

I have a copy of them   I have the plans for the Wasa,  the Danmark,  the Half Moon,  And the Gothenborg on CD.  of course,  I've saved all the instruction sheets.   I'm trying to get the plans for the HMS. Warrior.  I hope to do more for him in the future.......we still chat back and fourth.   yepper......they're really good folk........so glad to have met him  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

I think you know that we where at Mobbsie's place for a few days….. :D

We see the Warrior and have taken a lot of pictures from her.

There are only two versions.

Witch one do you want to build?

The old one or the "new" one?

By the new one I meant the one with the sails and the steam engine…..

When we sorted out the pictures I will open a topic in the general discussions and post some….not all 380!

So let us know what you want.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

thanks Sjors......if I do get the plans,  I know who to go to.   like the C.S.S. Alabama,  the only way I know it,  is with the sail and steam funnel....that's what makes it such a cool build.   you get the best of both worlds. :)     so,   post your pictures........I'll just sit here and drool!  :)

as a side note:    a package came in the mail to me the other day.........it was the stuff for my friend's ship,  the Bluenose.   he sent me the sail diagrams,  and the material for them.   he was hoping that a few folks would do them for him,  but they backed out,  I guess.  I already have them drawn out on the sail material,  but not without a flaw.   the material was rolled up and banded with a thin strip of clear tape.   I took it off.......didn't think too much of it.......but the more I ran the ruler over the material,  the more the  'line' became apparent.   I had this nice adheasive mark in the middle of the edge,  of the largest sail!  I tried thinner on a Q-tip......pink eraser......among a couple of other remedies,  but to no avail.......the material is stained with the tape!   I did come up with a remedy,  so I could fit all eight sails in the material.    lucky for me,  there was enough material to do them all.   I'm going to be doing a mini log for him,  so he'll have some pictures to guide him in future builds.   I might even ellect to do one at the Wharf. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

here comes the woman touch…... :D

This may help in the future....I have used WD-40 on adhesives, even on fabric. The key is to rise it immediately after. My advice would be to do a 'test' piece first.

I know I am late coming back to the party, but just have to say...

Popeye!!  Those sails look awesome!!!!

She looks really nice all dressed up and ready to go!!

=)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

thanks Sherry........I recall that remedy too......don't know why I didn't think of it.   I found a way around it,  but I have no extra material.....I better not mess them up!   I have some extra material from the AmericA......but the cloth is a different hue......go figure!

thanks Adam!   getting close towards finishing her now........in fact,  I have an update!

it starts off with the shrouds.......got them all terminated and tied.

post-612-0-57396800-1368593519_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-29471000-1368593529_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-40367500-1368593538_thumb.jpg

then the rigging......I rigged the throat halyards on the starboard side,  and the peak halyards on the port side.

post-612-0-94400500-1368593617_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-63367600-1368593626_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-89415100-1368593635_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-56163300-1368593647_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-44843500-1368593676_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

there is one last sail to go on the ship.   the sheet lines needed to be tied on.   I have a new toy that helped me out a lot with this.......I even used it on the dead eyes.

post-612-0-41600800-1368593798_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-01620800-1368593810_thumb.jpg

I hadn't done anything with the light boxes and lights.   I used the window maker to fill in the lenses

post-612-0-72658100-1368593881_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-02400000-1368593895_thumb.jpg

they are almost dried.....I can paint soon.   the top sail was rigged in place......I added a couple more blocks......extras

post-612-0-39496900-1368594010_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-44559600-1368594026_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-42676000-1368594039_thumb.jpg

there's one I tied in for the lower sheet line

post-612-0-67309300-1368594160_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32418800-1368594177_thumb.jpg

almost all of the lines are now tied off and cemented.......the clothes pins are leaving.   the blocks I removed earlier......I put them back and used them for the bottom sheet rigging.

post-612-0-57991800-1368594415_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-42629300-1368594429_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-70413300-1368594439_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27592600-1368594450_thumb.jpg

the only ones left now are for the jib.....I left those for later after the anchors are in place.   put on the light boxes,  and some rope coils,  and that should finish this build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Just catching up. thanks for dropping by my log my friend, much appreciated :) beautiful work as always Sir, those masts, rigging and sails look superb :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

you must be quite busy........haven't seen an update in a while now.......hope to see some soon.   thanks for the good word Aldo,  almost finished!

{I'll take a peek in to see if I missed anything on Peg......fine looking build you got going on! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Popeye, Peggy has temporarily taken a back seat to give way to my latest lady-love, Triton ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Looks very good Popeye,

How long do you think before she is finished?

When we are on the boat from Holland to England and back they had a lot of M&M stuff on board.

We where thinking of Phyllis then.

When she see that, I think you need another suitcase  :D  :D

That's incredible work Popeye! You're pretty much staring at the finish line at this point. I wonder what you are going put in this particular building slip after America sets sail.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks John...yepper,  won't be long now!

I see Aldo.......I'll have to look up Triton and check it out ;)

no Sjors........the admiral don't need help looking.....she goes right to the source...LOL!   not too sure on the finish line......perhaps another week or so.......rope coils.......ya gotts love'em  {rather be rigging}

hi there Patrick......much of the finish work is at the bow.   I plan to jump right onto the Gothenborg after this,  I still have some work to do before I can look towards masting her.  I also used a few of the blocks....doubles mostly......I think I can make the ones I need.  there are other things I can do......but I do have a couple builds in the fire.......I might just turn up the heat.   I have a reputation to uphold,  don'tcha know!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Anja  for the good word :)      did a little today......not too much left to do.   a funny thing happened while you were away.....I came in posession of something that'll make you smile  { I hope}.   I will post it soon ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

as the cook once said......stir the pot slowly.........you don't want to spoil the broth ;)

450  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Those sails look incredible!   Very nicely done.  Those are what are stressing me about the Willie I have going - I am so NOT a sewing master.  I will be lucky if I don't sew my fingers to them!

I may just live vicariously through yours!! =)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

I'd be willing to do them for you.........send me the stuff ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Adam, That's a GREAT OFFER, take him up on that one, He does excellent work, and his fee is very reasonable... 2 cans of spinach!!!

You can't beat that :D  :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Adam, That's a GREAT OFFER, take him up on that one, He does excellent work, and his fee is very reasonable... 2 cans of spinach!!!

You can't beat that :D  :D

Hey,  I'd give him 3 cans.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray