America by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:72 scale

Hey,  I'd give him 3 cans.

Bob

You'er  right Bob..... three cans..... still a bargain!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Sorry!!!!  I deleted  it

Frank

Edited by riverboat

USRC "ALERT"

just to see someone smile,  is enough for me......no fee.......just an offer.  there are thing that I still cannot do.........besides,  I get my spinach wholesale!  AK-k-k-k-k-k!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I do have a bit of an update.   the lights and boxes are painted........waiting to be cemented onth the shrouds.

post-612-0-55516800-1368753761_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-99312200-1368753772_thumb.jpg

the flag was also raised.......I'll shape it later

post-612-0-16858400-1368753821_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-25070100-1368753831_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking Awesome Popeye.  I love the details as well.  That's an interesting flag as well I don't think I've seen it before.  

Hi Popeye,

Beautiful Popeye well done. Going for the Half Moon now, she's a lovely ship, good choice. :)  :)

John,

My apologies, like Frank I have deleted the post.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

no...not rushing too much John.......sanded down the anchors last night.....took a little of the thickness down.   made a few rope coils....not happy with them....i'll get'em though :)

thanks Daniel for the good word......the ship,  back in 1863, was at the naval academy in Newport,  R.I. and used as a training ship.

thanks as well Mobbsie.   I didn't get to see Frank's post.......guess it was enough to alert the constable.   boys will be boys ;)

hi there Frank!  are you working on your build ?   I'm almost ready to get on with the Gothenborg.....from what I hear,  your back to your old self again!   whoooooohooooooo! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've been threatening myself for the past 4 weeks to get things finished up..... finally got my work space tidy up today,  so no excuses now...

Maybe if you start your Goth again that'll give me some incentive :P or maybe I should wait until you get your Half Moon turned into a full moon :D .... I just wish I had your mind set and your talent , then I 'd be finished :D  :D :D  

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

nawww.......it's the other way around.....LOL!  I'm just kidding though.  but,  I am close towards getting back to the Goth.  got a few other aspects I want to get on the deck,  and a bit more moldings for the stern........then I can work on the masting.   lots of planking on the Half Moon,  so that will definitely break the tension.   I'll look forward to seeing some progress on your build......but please do it when you feel absolutely ready.  :)

post-612-0-49171600-1368863785_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Marvelous work as always Popeye, you're almost at the finish line my friend :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

I'd be willing to do them for you.........send me the stuff ;)

You know, just knowing that is a possibility adds to the comfort level.  I will give them a shot (can't say I cannot do them without even trying ) but oh, trust me - if it goes how I think it will,  I will send out the popeye signal!!!

That there America really does look spectacular!!

We going to have an official launch party?

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

that's the spirit!......the offer will still stand though......just let me know.   my friend sent me his sails for the bluenose he's working on.  it has eight sails.   no reef lines though.....that's a relief.  I got them all cut out.....ready for the sewing machine.......work in progress  :)

thanks for the good word,  my friend!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Awesome Popeye,another great model,i love the flags as well.Next job for you is the Goth until it's finished,until it's finished o.k.Put the others away in the cupboard.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

thanks Ron.....yepper....the Goth is next.   the others are for tension relief.  I don't have much left to go on the AmericA....I hope to heve her done soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thought I'd throw in another good word.  Well Done!  Well that was two words.  Still.  Great work she's really looking fantastic.  

I agree with the launching party.  We'll have to get that guy with the popcorn to bring cookies though.   ;)   

Popeye, you've done it again.  Good work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

darn it........I did it again!   ........forgot to hit the post button.     sorry Daniel........thanks for the good word!  :)   getting some rope coils together as we speak........trying out making flemish coils ;)

thanks Bob.......getting down to the wire....hopefully soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I feel better. I posted a plea for help a few days ago and then left town on business. I could read emails (as in notifications of replies) but received none. I finally went back and... there was no plea.  I suppose I did all kind of editing and photo insertion and forgot to press the post button as well.

the finish of the AmericA is going along........kinda slow,  but when it comes......it just slaps you in the face.

the light boxes are cementd on the shrouds and allowed to dry.

post-612-0-00541700-1369227251_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12365300-1369227262_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-11234800-1369227272_thumb.jpg

now that they are dry,  I'm sure that they can take the weight of the lights.

post-612-0-42891800-1369227310_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80172700-1369227319_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-04206100-1369227329_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I tried my hand at making flemish coils.........this'll make the flemish folks roll on the floor......that's for sure!

using clear cello and push pin,  the set up began.   a piece of pine board covered with plastic wrap was the recieving end of the jig.

post-612-0-79133500-1369227596_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-53357000-1369227616_thumb.jpg

the only problem with this is the glue used won't be able to breathe......as shown above.  the outside was dry,  but the inside was still a bit wet.  I did get a few good ones out of it though.  if they don't look too bad.....I'll use them.  I'll save the others for something else.

post-612-0-41461700-1369227796_thumb.jpg

the anchors were coming along........the thickness was sanded down and then rounded.   the holes were drilled in the upper part,  where the iron bar {not included} and the chain will be located.

post-612-0-01436600-1369227818_thumb.jpg

some of the coils were set in place .

post-612-0-09793200-1369228006_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-92687700-1369228015_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-23028100-1369228031_thumb.jpg

other rope coils were made as well,  and set in place.   the anchors were given a coat of paint.

post-612-0-70204700-1369228101_thumb.jpg

some more coils were laid down........not as good as the first ones..........but they'll do,  I guess  ;)

post-612-0-11393600-1369228195_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Coming down to the wire.  NICE!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Augie.......I really like how the light boxes came out.......better than those plastic ones {should have reposted the picture of them}

not much left......#9 almost in the books!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

One more step and you'll be over the finish line on the America. She looking great Popeye!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Sjors and Patrick!   ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice going... ;)

I wonder though, if you tried making your coils up on masking tape and then coating them with acrylic matte medium (no pins or nasty glue needed). If you remember, I did that for my gun tackles on Pegasus.

Anyway, it all looks great. :)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Darn it Popeye...... we're going to have to petition to have you assigned your very own 'Completed Ship Gallery'.  Since I started on my ONE you have completed about 5.  But who's counting............. :)  :)  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956