America by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:72 scale

Ah, the rigging, what joy.   Lookin good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Popeye,

Nice job on the rings and deadeyes mate, she's looking real swish ( god knows where I got that word from ). :D

I was looking at the stow of your anchors, have you any ideas on what your going to do. Will you be able to tie them down on the deck, also if they were thrown over the side of the boat they surely would have run through some kind of cleat, I didnt see one on the drawings. :huh:

Hope you dont mind me asking.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks everyone!   Yepper......the rigging has begun.   I tried out the blackened thread,  and it works like a charm!  as I stained it and strung it on the board,  I stretched it,  so it would be at minium thickness.   it kept it quite well.  there isn' a whole lot of standing rigging,  but at this point,  it is done.   I'm doing the reef lines at the moment....what a pain!  thanks for all your good word.....I really appreciate it  :)

yea Mobbsie......that is a dilemma.  I was hoping to be able to snake the anchor chain,  in one fairlead and out the other,  so I wouldn't have to cement anything.   I forgot to open up the center of the keel panel,  so I could do that....so I have to cement them.   the other thing is that there are no hawse holes at the bow.   if I were to drill them in there,  I would ruin the decals ............not only that....I shouldn't have put the fairleads there in the first place.  so......I'll probably just coil the chain on the deck, and have them next to it.  I guess I can't win them all.  it will look something like the diagram.  thanks for the good word ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye,

So you finally started the rigging.  I'm glad the blackened thread works like a charm.

Don't want to rush you, but do you have a picture of the standing rigging?

Now I'm sounding like Sjors.  But you understand, you like eye candy as well  :)

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Popeye,

I'm just catching up with your wonderful accomplishments with this build. She looks very yar!

I'm not sure I understand your unhappiness with the anchor arrangement. I don't believe a boat that size would have had hawse holes in the hull, and the arrangement that you've shown is the way I've seen it in my experience. The only thing lacking is a couple of fairleads (chocks) mounted on the cap rail near the stem (they keep the anchor chain from chewing up the rail and they also keep the anchor road coming off the bow as the ship swings to wind/tide.)

Tom

post-106-0-80356400-1366495406.jpg

I guess this is where the kit falls short...it doesn't include them in the kit.   I do have some on hand though.....I'll have to see if they are small enough to do the job.

I did do the standing rigging......the bow rigging,  the fore stay,  and the short main stay.

post-612-0-04264100-1366506850_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12357300-1366506862_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-74540000-1366506870_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-08258400-1366506880_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-20226100-1366506890_thumb.jpg

here is a shot of the rigging at a slightly different angle

post-612-0-22275600-1366506933_thumb.jpg

now.....back on with the reef lines

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks John.......once I get through all these reef lines.......my god,  there's so many  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Maybe you already knew this but you really do some incredible work!  The riggings looking great. Sounds like though if it isn't ratlines being a plentiful pain it's reef lines.    

thanks Daniel,  luckily,  there are no rat lines on this vessel.   I'm on the second sail at the moment.   the main sheet has three rows.  that one will be fun all in itself :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

With your talent, the rigging will bring her ALIVE!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I do have some pictures of the reef lines.  I'm threading  them through,  with a dot of white glue.  cut and trim will come later.........I made a jig,  cementing two 7mm lengths of planking together...figure that's long enough.   I have them on both sides...thought it illogical to have them on just one side......with the sail rolled up,  what will it be tied to?  I started with the jib.

post-612-0-67945100-1366822638_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-84922100-1366822648_thumb.jpg

from here,  they were painted with diluted white glue,  to stiffen them up a bit,  so they will lay straight.

post-612-0-74490100-1366822721_thumb.jpg

the fore sheet half done.  here is the jib being trimmed.

post-612-0-62099000-1366822779_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-28558800-1366822801_thumb.jpg

from here,  there is a jib boom to be sewn on.  I tried to do it the way I've seen them....a connected pattern

post-612-0-70606600-1366822880_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-49905600-1366822890_thumb.jpg

there are blocks that need to be set up as well.........I'm doing that as I go along.   more on this soon...I have to go plant some flower bulbs for m' lady  :)   {butter-up time  ;) }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow !! beautiful job there on the sails...... Do you do drapes too?? :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Popeye,

The sails look great, and be sure to spread the butter nice and thick.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

you got it Bob!.........the deed is done!  said on the package that they grow fast......I got tired of waiting,  so I came in....LOL!   good thing I took that home-ec class in school....even if it was just for the credit {and food} :)    thanks everyone for the good word ;)

from the looks of your handiwork Frank........you might have done a few in your day.......we're just multi-talented folk.   and to think....our admirals never even knew we had the talent ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Ron.......it's a bit premature.   I uncovered a serious problem here.  on the plan diagram,  they show four blocks around both masts.    I'm looking at the numbers they give each line...........but on the side profile,  they do not show a #3......but,  on the over view,  they show the #3's,  as well as the #6's.   in an upper corner,  they show how the #6 blocks are tied to the fore sheet.......not the deck!

I have pulled them out of the deck.....now I have the holes to deal with.  since filling them in might be a gastly sight,  I'm opting to simply install eyebolts.........just added bling,  I guess.   OK.........back at it :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You can never have enough eyebolts Popeye ;)

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I thought I was doing a good job deciphering these billing's plans Frank.......guess a fastball went by me.   it looks fine with the eye bolts.  I am working on the main sheet now.......three rows of reef lines.   then the boom will be sewn on like the jib boom.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: