America by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:72 scale

thanks Runner63 - I need to post the progress I made..up soon

thanks Carl.......I found your log.....hope you are well ;)

thanks Borge...hope you are well.....as well

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

I just discovered your log: you are doing a great job! I particularly admire what you made of the skylight and your rigging skills.

Following on...

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

thank you Padeen....just one of those parts that cried for a little intervention ;)  I'll have more progress up in a little bit...I need to size down the pictures.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Ahoy Popeye :D

Your build is a jewel, many facets, all flawless.

I especially like your treatment of the sails. Thanks for posting

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Thursday and Friday was devoted to getting the main sheet up.   the first thing that needed to be done,  now that the reef lines are finished, was to set up the upper gaff with the blocks required to do the job.

post-612-0-05438100-1367799218_thumb.jpg

then to lash it to the top of the sheet.

post-612-0-71417500-1367799248_thumb.jpg

the sheet is ready to install...

post-612-0-01297900-1367799303_thumb.jpg

the last of the lashing was tied through holes I drilled through the yoke.  I tried to get a close up of this,  I hope you can see.

post-612-0-64407400-1367799416_thumb.jpg

the lift rigging was done first

post-612-0-91614900-1367799476_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-10265900-1367799548_thumb.jpg

here is the rigging that involves that triple block.

post-612-0-12693400-1367799570_thumb.jpg

for the lower boom rigging though,  I kind of over thought myself.......I figured that it would require two double blocks......I was wrong.

post-612-0-04368500-1367799669_thumb.jpg

I changed the horse block to a single.....it looks much better

post-612-0-25100200-1367799758_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27067000-1367799771_thumb.jpg

now that the sheet is in place,  I can start to do the hoops

post-612-0-76111800-1367799852_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60315400-1367799865_thumb.jpg

I have more pictures in my camera.......I will try to get them up......it's the rest of the hoop rigging

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John........there are a couple more lines that need to go on yet......I've tied the blocks in place for them.   the hoops are finished on the main sheet

post-612-0-94982600-1367801834_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-25072700-1367801856_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-66632800-1367801867_thumb.jpg

once the fore sheet is in place,  then I can do the shrouds.   then i can tie all these lines off and make the rope coils for them.   that triple block rigging,  I guess you could call that the halyard rigging...I think.

tomorrow is my  'Friday'.........I can get to the fore sheet then.   thanks for the good word John  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I can't say anything that hasn't been said about this beautiful build, but I really appreciate your taking the time to show so much of your work.  I love to learn from reading what you have done.  Honestly, it both challenges and scares me... even with the skill, how long does it take to learn so much?

Quick question: When you say lacquer, are you using a spray gun or putting it in your air brush or using spray cans?  I never messed with it because is was so explosive- but then again, I was making larger furniture and there would have been a lot more fumes around.

Edited by PopJack

yes popjack,  lacquer is one of the most volitile paints / finishes.  it depends largely on how it is mixed.  I either brush it on,  or use my airbrush,  and I ventilate as much as I can.  the use of the types of thinners that the average modeler can get is not too bad,  but the industrial thinners are nasty........it can generate it's own heat.  I've worked in a cabinet shop.......I've seen filters self combust.  as far as the learning.......I know I still am.....I probably will never acquire as much knowledge as some of the more proficient folks here,  but I keep trying,  because I love the hobby.   one of these days,  I might be able to tackle a big ship,  like the big kids do :)   thanks for the good word. ;)

John......I knew it.........I got it right!!!!!!  :)  :)   :)

jump right in Pavel........feel free to use any of my info.....if it helps ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Geez Popeye........she's spectacular :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hello Popeye, :piratebo5: 

That's a fine boat you have there. The woodwork is just fantastic. beautiful sails and well presented.

well done.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Popeye,

She continues to impress more and more with each visit. Looking so excellent. I'm really enjoying following you build. 

Regards, Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Popeye,

It's really comming along.  Can hardly wait to take a ride.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Great ! job on the sails Popeye...... she looks fantastic

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Incredible work Popeye!!!

jeeze Louise!  thank you everyone for you kind comments!  I really appreciate it  :)  now that my work week is over,  perhaps I can give a big push going on the build!  many thanks for looking in....more progress soon!post-612-0-37248700-1367889386.gif

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye! It's been a few weeks since I last checked in on some of your builds. America looks as if she is almost ready to sail. You are doing a terrific job on the sails and rigging.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Patrick....she's moving right along.....hoping to have her done soon! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Then there's the big question what next.  Sure you got the Gothenburg but I just can't see you doing only one or two builds.   

oh....ohhhhhh,  am I getting a reputation?  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I can only echo other comments Popeye, She's looking an absolute dream.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

it's been a while since my last visit buddy. Popeye you are doing a beautiful job on the sails and rigging.

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

well.......I'm glad it's not a bad reputation...........first class fruitcake isn't too bad,  I guess ;)   thanks Mario,  Mobbsie,  Andy and Daniel for looking in and the good word.   I'll see what I can do about the void that been created by the finish of the lobsie twins and possibly the AmericA {if I can get the lawn mowed and my butt in gear}.   the Goth is next....that's a sure bet.  thanks again!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So with the twins done (did you finish the Phylly C's ski's?), and the AmericA close and the goth next that only leaves The USS US and the trawler (i cant wait to see this one more) but can popeye only have 3 builds going at a time. Thats kinda like how many licks does it take to get the the center of a tootsie pop. 3 is way under the true number I suspect.

I'm trying to get the plans for the Warrior from Tom to add to my collection.   I get the Billing's newsletter.......when I saw it,  I fell in :wub: with it......there, I used it :)  

no Keith....I still need to finish the water skis.......I been so busy with the AmericA,  and springtime chores,  that I haven't had a chance.  I still have to do the gallery pictures.

your probably right about the dwindling builds.......after all......I have a reputation to uphold  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: