Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

thanks Adam.........it's not going as fast as I would like it too.......but I'll take any advancement I can get my hands on!   Hobby Lobby didn't have too much in the way of kits......must be inventory time.   if you go in there......go in with a fully locked and loaded imagination.  then you'll see a ton of possibilities!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I will have to do that.  See if I can't get kara going with her crafts again.  The only problem with going in with fully loaded imagination is making sure I have a fully loaded wallet as backup :huh:

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Around here it's the other way around.  My wife being into fabric and fiber arts means that she drags ME there and while she's buying $30 worth of material I get a $2 piece of spruce :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

that's why.........by the time I go to these places........I have a very long wish list  ;)    as I mentioned before,  I never liked to go to these places......the admiral used to drag me there.   of course,  I'd give her ideas as we went along,  when the initial shock had passed.  it wasn't until I got into this hobby, 

that my eyes were opened wide.

so much potential,

in the stuff I pushed aside  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I have been lax........after the hull dubbed Curly was done and some filler {there will be more,  I'm sure}, was applied,   I did some sanding........and WHEWWWW!   I like to have wore myself out! ;)    it looks pretty good though......more needs to be done.....but I will digress for a bit.   I have Larry on the planking mat now, pretty close towards being done.   a while ago,  I showed you the parts panels for the deck platforms and how the arrangement of the parts created the opening in the center of the deck.   the reason for it and the laments over missing parts,  will not be an issue here. 

I found that I could use three of the 1/16 x 3 x 24 sheets for the platforms.

post-612-0-52169300-1391618159_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-55740100-1391618173_thumb.jpg

too bad that I couldn't find these in whole sheets.........these were cemented together.   soon,  I had the three sheets I would need.

post-612-0-30785200-1391618277_thumb.jpg

the surfaces were sanded to smooth them out.   then the task of tracing the parts took place.   I'm not too keen on the bow parts,  but I traced them out anyway.   I'll get to them later.

post-612-0-59083100-1391618483_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-88873300-1391618493_thumb.jpg

this wasn't too tough a pill to take........they are all done now  :)

post-612-0-01091300-1391618582_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Fitting Time!!!    the platform parts were cut from one of the sheets,  and the process for the main deck commenced.  there are two factors that are going to make this a bit tougher to do.......first is the curvature of the deck from bow to stern.   the second is the lack of pressure I can apply to the halves for the pictures.......this will make it look worse than it is.  but,  it is there........there will be some shaping that will need to be done.

post-612-0-41484800-1391620285_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32071500-1391620297_thumb.jpg

I left the extra on the second half.....shaping is going to make the gap in the middle widen.......the extra will make up for it........the line you see is not the center line.   these parts are shaped,  bringing them as tight to the bulwark as possible.

post-612-0-18892600-1391620563_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-01785600-1391620580_thumb.jpg

........making sure that the line at the bow section is right up to the rib.   I'm not concerned with the stern end.......if required,  I can always cap it in.

post-612-0-25251500-1391620738_thumb.jpg

just about ready to cement them in place!

post-612-0-91933700-1391620941_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A neat solution indeed .

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

do you want to hear about stupid.........I was creating the latest post of all this madness........had it up here and was almost done.   I wanted to look for something to add to it.......so instead of open another tab,  I opened my book marks and clicked on where I wanted to go!

DOUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!    "me thinks me be better with smoke and blanket!"

thanks Michael....a neat solution.......with a neat outcome {I'll have it up in a moment.....that is.......when my computer skills catches up with me again}

your a lucky man Dave.......we're looking at a foot today  ;)   more to come on Sunday,  I hear.   your neck of the woods have seen some bad weather of late........but yea........good day to stay in  :)    thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK..........I'll start over with this last bit of my update......................................

with the panels nearly ready,   it was time to get the deck beams in place.   I could have gotten really creative with them,  but they are what they are......just beams.    using 1/4 x 1/4 square stock,  the required lengths were cut and notched to even them up to the decking strips,  going lengthwise from bow to stern.   I was not going to get fussy with them.

post-612-0-21056000-1391626600_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-57587100-1391626613_thumb.jpg

an additional beam was added to the bow section,  near rib #6.   I had a wild idea of cutting out the two areas of this rib {the two sides that border the opening to the pilot house},  leaving enough to constitute the bulwark posts,  in an effort to make the main deck look longer.   I may do that with one of the other hulls.....I just have to think up a more creative pilot house.   notice the opening for the pilot house......it is uneven........I have a solution for it,  you'll see.   the horns on both sides of the ribs,  needed to be sanded down to sit even with the deck beams..........sanding dust still can be seen.

post-612-0-87474900-1391627162_thumb.jpg

the port side was cemented in first......followed with the starboard side.   there is a noticeable gap in the middle of the deck platform.  that's OK though.......filler can always used here.  Elmer and I are very good friends  ;)    for that opening to the pilot house,   I took one of the shavings from the deck beams and shimmed a board to go across........it is a bit raised and will serve well for the basis for a doorway stoop.

post-612-0-07955300-1391627833_thumb.jpg

...and with the clamps and pins removed,  filler added and sanded,  the main deck platform is done at this point.   I am quite pleased with how the deck platform mates the bulwarks....very minor filling is required......I could even get away with using white glue.

post-612-0-35061200-1391628664_thumb.jpg

I'll have to look into what to do with the bow section..........this hull seems to have it's direction already laid out for it.   I can plank the other hulls and decide whether to plank or paint the deck{s}.   I'll most likely plank.........seems to be how I roll  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

To bad computers don't have a "I DIDN'T WANT TO DO THAT" button.  I know I'd be using it all the time.

Other than that you're doing good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Gee whiz Popeye, I feel like a slacker looking at your 'Boat in a Day' pace!!!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

John & Bob...........CRAP!!!!!   why didn't I think of that.......the 'Back' button!   now I really feel like a dolt!  I was never born for this era ;)

thanks for the good word gents!  :)

thanks Augie............pace??   well, let's see.........I built the Cux in 5 1/2 months.........the M&M boat in 4 1/2.   kind of you to say,  but I do believe I have mellowed a bit :D :D    I know what you mean though..........thanks for the good word!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great looking decks Popeye and what an idea using a kit for your ship parts.  I'm very curious in seeing how your ships will look like.  Re feeling like a dolt - - -  I guess you and I are one of a kind as far as "dolting" is concerned ;)

Cheers,  

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Gee whiz Popeye, I feel like a slacker looking at your 'Boat in a Day' pace!!!!!!

Oh my, I know what you mean - but if you are a slacker, what does that make me!!

Gots to find me some time!! =)

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

John & Bob...........CRAP!!!!!   why didn't I think of that.......the 'Back' button!   now I really feel like a dolt!  I was never born for this era ;)

thanks for the good word gents!  :)

thanks Augie............pace??   well, let's see.........I built the Cux in 5 1/2 months.........the M&M boat in 4 1/2.   kind of you to say,  but I do believe I have mellowed a bit :D :D    I know what you mean though..........thanks for the good word!  ;)

5 months for a ship - egads!!

In 5 Months I am sure I could put together a fairly decent castaway type raft maybe, 6 months if I need to add a sail.

The holiday trio are coming along very nicely though, the platforms look great!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

thanks Piet!   the hull is the only thing I am interested in........I'm not that great of design.   I hope to do something like most of the other folks here......but I learn slowly..........little bites over a long period of time  ;)   I do fudge the numbers a little.......just to keep the copy-write monster at bay......and keep it interesting for me.  :)   thanks for the good word.   usually I can tussle with the computer pretty good.....but that left jab comes out of nowhere.......still haven't had to use my secret weapon yet........the two-armed window toss! :D :D

I started building wooden builds in 2009.........in the beginning,  I was never one to have a build going over a year.  my second build of the Revell Cutty Sark was the first one to ever do that.........then the Nordkap.   of course,  both of these build got held up due to ordered parts and such.......but looking at my signature,  things picked up for a while.  to me,  I think the time factor kicks in,  in two ways:

1:     it depends how much detail you want to put into your build.   it is very easy to stretch the build time,  with the infinite number of sub assemblies,  framing,  outfitting,  and rigging.  hand in hand with the detail,  is the replica that is the subject of the build.  reference work also adds time.

2.     having a good idea of the direction of the build is also key.   to think up things along the way can slow the build down........I was very lucky with the M&M build........all of the ideas came in one sitting!   I have to admit........that build was a no-brainer.......I wish I could come up with another one like that!  with a firm direction of how you want the finished build to look,  there is little room for back tracking.

adding some extra detail is great,  but it can upset the apple cart with other detail that you might have already done.  it may even change aspects that are already in the works,  or are still on the drawing board  ;)

in model building.......there is no such thing as a time frame or deadline Adam.   the hobby wasn't designed for that.......I simply just lucked out with a few of them.   to me.......I think your right on schedule  ;)     I don't advocate competing in the speed build competition, but I do revel in it when a plan comes together! :)   thanks for the good word!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

stunning builds - and in such a short time

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks Kevin........so far it's just the hull dubbed Curly.   the other two are at different phases of planking.  when I get the bow roughed out, I'll take on the next one.......that will be Larry.  thank you for the good word.........looking forward to an update on the Bismark  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK.......so the final thing I'm going to do to the hull dubbed Curly,  will be the bow deck layout.  from here,  I will just be sanding the hull,  so I'll get busy planking the hull Larry,  and bring it up to snuff.   since my thoughts about a different pilot house layout was too late,  I will go with a common layout with Curly.   I had cut out the two parts,  but I ended up making up a third one......one side didn't come out right.

post-612-0-93899500-1391823043_thumb.jpg

I wasn't too sure how I wanted to do the floor........to insure that the floor was level to the main deck,  I cemented in the necessary joices and cemented it in place.

post-612-0-15921900-1391823213_thumb.jpg

still some tweaking needed to be done.......but I said the heck with it.   the bow deck platforms were cemented in place.   I'll just use filler on the nonconformaties.

post-612-0-82024100-1391823439_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62534600-1391823448_thumb.jpg

after a bit of filler and some sanding,  here is the bow decking,  roughed out.

post-612-0-27596000-1391823714_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-05081900-1391823724_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-30570500-1391823736_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

sorry about that john.....not too much going on now.   the real headache will start when I begin to outfit them ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well........I'm happy to report that the hull dubbed Larry is finished as far as the planking goes.   I have some pictures,  but they are probably not for the squeamish. :D :D     I was going to do some repairs from the botched planking earlier.........but I decided to develop a different coarse of action,  and continue with the planking as it is.   at the moment.......I'm applying more filler on the hull dubbed Curly,  because for some reason,  Larry looks better!  of course,  I didn't spend as much time on Curly,  as I did Larry...........that might account for it ;)    when I get the pictures together,  I will post them for you to see.   I even have a comparison of the two hulls as well.

thanks for looking in ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have the pictures ready........I won't bore you with the messy details.   I was going to rip off a row of planking......or two,  but I thought about it.   it's going to be painted anyway,  so why don't I make the best,  of a messy situation.   so to cut down on the amount of taper,  I closed off the bow and stern sections.

post-612-0-89937300-1392429269_thumb.jpg

the bow has been sanded......the stern has not.   I didn't take any pictures of this procedure.....thank the image god.........it would have probably burnt out the camera's retina  :D  :D  with this done, tapering was done to bring the line straight.   the existing plank from the fill point was sanded down to meet the new planking........or...a reasonable facsimile thereof.

post-612-0-01296100-1392429964_thumb.jpg

when it was done and sanded.......it looked like this.   the other side had already been done,  sanded and filled.

post-612-0-11424400-1392430048_thumb.jpg

first filling looked like this

post-612-0-64685700-1392430084_thumb.jpg

and with both sides sanded.......it looks like this

post-612-0-04521500-1392430132_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62691700-1392430146_thumb.jpg

I compared it with the hull dubbed Curly.  I didn't spend as much time with it,  as I did with this one,  but you'll see that ........Curly is on the left.

post-612-0-09463000-1392430292_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61407400-1392430302_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-13323400-1392430314_thumb.jpg

I left Curly on the table,  to give it a bit more filler.   both still need a little more.  I have been using that drywall sander.......it has a rubber layer under the paper.......thus accounting for the ripples you can see.   I'm going to give it the wood block sanding when I do a second coat of filler.......not as much give.

with the last hull,  I have not progressed that far,  so tapering.......and perhaps even staggered but joints,  may be looked at with closer scrutiny.  saving grace........with multiple hulls,  I may find redemption yet.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John......two down and one to go  :)   I should pause,  get these two squared away,  get the rub rails on,  and then give them the primer coat.    hopefully soon,  I can get on with one of my other builds.........long over due  ;)   thanks for the good word!

thanks Vivian,  for the like  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'll tell you Popeye, they both look fine to me.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The advantage of building the same thing many times - - - you learn.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray