Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

more neat ideas........thanks very much  :)    of course Joe.......you can post a picture of your idea......no problem with that  ;)   sounds great Greg.....you didn't lie though.......you didn't specified how many years,  a few were  :D  :D     I'd need to figure out how to do the laminant though.

you got that right Kevin.........put out a hair brained scheme....and look at how it blooms!  :D  :D    I hope it benefits someone down the road.  for that to work, the backing {I use plastic wrap} would have to be adhered to the mesh.  this way,  when the colored glue is dropped in place,  it won't run into the next facet.

not a bad idea though.......it would need to be pressed til dry.....this would insure a flat mesh panel to be filled  ;)

see.......I formed a partial plan already  ;)   thanks Kevin....sounds doable  :)     happy new years........ happy first night.......happy flipp'in the year book to the next chapter.....whatever you wish to call it,  everyone here at the Wharf and I,  want to wish you the very best.  stay safe.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pics of windows using future floor wax and food coloring

1st pic is using cling wrap for backing, comes out very clear as you can see by the divers helmet in back of window

post-15201-0-50242300-1451670642_thumb.jpg

2nd pic using cling wrap and food coloring in the wax then pouring on netting

post-15201-0-67639000-1451670770_thumb.jpg

3rd pic using wax paper for backing, this gives a frost look, the red windows are food coloring mixed with the wax and put on with a paint brush after the clear wax dried

post-15201-0-03594900-1451670935_thumb.jpg

4th pic using wax paper for backing and mixing food coloring in the wax then pouring on netting

post-15201-0-75649400-1451671032_thumb.jpg

Thanks for letting me post Popeye

Joe

I like it!   :)   how will it hold up over time though?  I've even had thoughts about the white glue   :unsure:    I've been pulled away of late........holiday and such........

it's not off the table.............when I get back to her,  I hope to show you something really good   {you've ALL been good this year.......in my book}   ;)

I really appreciate you showing me this.......joe......it looks awesome!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Just to let you know the windows I made are very fexible. I find a lot of uses for Future Floor Wax. I put it in my air brush and finish my models with it. It is very forgiving and self leveling. It's almost imposible to mess it up. If I paint wood I use it as a base coat, sand it down a little, paint the finish coat, it comes out very smooth and looking like glass.

• 2 weeks later...

yes sir........so many options.  I thank all of you for your suggestions.   I do have a couple more to try,  before moving on to one of them.   I was talking on the phone with a friend of mine,  and I began to doodle,  taking the gray scale print of the netting and coloring in the facets.   lots of uh huhs and one word answers....bet he thought I was being cryptic :D   :D

post-612-0-53253200-1452644147_thumb.jpg

when I was finished with the phone call.......I took one of the windows and gave it a try

post-612-0-81133600-1452644208_thumb.jpg

I kinda like it........but coloring in the rest of the netting would feel very tedious.   but what would it look like with a light behind it?   I haven't tried it yet,  although I did get to see what it would look like with a light inside.   I saw packages of these battery operated tea lights...they even flicker.   I bought a two pack.........they had a six pack,  but the admiral thought it would be a waste.   setting them up.......it looked pretty cool,  imagining that there was a roof on the house and I had both front windows in place.   then one of them fizzled out........cheap piece 'o %#@* !   since it would look better with two in there,  I'm going to get another package.....unless I see another brand that looks that it might be of better quality.   I will try and get a shot of this for you.   we headed out again today.......more errands,  which took us near a Michaels craft store.   we had no luck finding anything that might work as a backing......not even in the doll house section.  poking around in the scrap booking section,  I came across something else that might work.  I'll let you know how it goes with trying it.   I did manage to begin work on the roof.......framing out the bottom.   

post-612-0-97750600-1452645069_thumb.jpg

now to decide........peak or flat  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ah, I see you did get some work in yesterday. I feel better now. I am confident you will come up with a very convincing solution for those windows.

yes I did Tom....thank you.   I've got such a hankering to do some paint........trouble is,  I've been looking for an easy way out in painting the rub rails....I want to do them gold.   I wanted to find some pin striping.......but so far,  I haven't found any in the width that I used for the rails.  I don't really have the means to cut anything down to the width.........I may have to resort to painting them on.   

my other view of the windows is not that great either.........may be time to break out the future  :D  :D  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

I think that you are on the right track about the stain glass windows. 

Regarding flat or peak! Flat would be easier, but peak would look better and it will help to hide the flickering lights. Besides when do you ever take the easy path? NEVER!

Havagooday mate and I'm so sorry to hear about Augie's passing. Your post in SHORE LEAVE about him it the spot.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thanks Greg........yea...narrowing down on the windows.......I'll have to check to see if I have any food coloring.   as for the roof.......agreed....it would make the chimney look better too  ;)   it will start withe frame.......location tabs for ease of removal.......and MORE SHINGLES!!!!!  :D  :D   got an idea about that as well  ;)    stay tuned.

we all lost a friend......he touched so many folks here.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You're doing a fine job.  We all love your creativity we never know what you will do next and it sounds like you don't either. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob.......the creativity is nice,  but yes.......the experimental stuff tends to throw one into dark waters.  once these questions are answered,  I'm hoping to get into things that are easier to do.   things will go quicker that way  ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just glancing over your build again. Been a while since I looked at it. Your a mad genius Dennis. Your ships are turning out awesome.

hello Daniel...........well,  your right about the mad part  :D  ;)   the windows were a bit of a quandary...but I'm getting a handle on them.  now I'm trying to steer her towards calmer waters..........there,  a quicker pace bit of progress can be made.   thanks for the kind comment my friend  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was hoping to get more accomplished here.........to get a good start on the exterior.   I set up the paint area in the cellar.....a little cool,   but with the furnace nearby,  it should come out alright.   I'd just bring the hull upstairs after wards,  like I did last year.   after a lively debate with my color coordinator,  I decided on the emerald green.   Brunswick Green seemed too dark for a festive Holiday.   anyway,   I masked off the hull except for the field between the rails.......this is to be painted emerald green.   the outer area will be painted bright red.......both of these colors are Billing's colors.   the bottom will be dark drab......which is model master.

whether it was the temp down there or the paint,  I'm not too sure........but it was like run city!   I took a rag and wiped it all out before it had time to dry.  I even changed the mix.......thickening it up a bit more.......made no difference!   I went back upstairs and got a 1/4 oz bottle of the Testor's green........luckily,  it was pretty much the same color hue as the emerald green.   I let it set down there for a while,  flipping it over from time to time.  then I brought the hull upstairs

post-612-0-05670000-1452813176_thumb.jpg

I gave it a little more time to cure before removing the masking.  I was not pleased to see that some of the paint ran under the masking.  I'll just let her totally dry,   sand down the runny areas,   mask up the green area and give it a quick primer touch up.

post-612-0-78270200-1452813341_thumb.jpg

as for the roof,   I couldn't go much further with the hull being painted,  so I added some tabs on the inner sides,  to aide in centering it on the structure,  and added center trusses.

post-612-0-33688100-1452813464_thumb.jpg

I will add soffit plates on the two opposing sides and then I can start framing it. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

:D  :D   any suggestions........do they have a Wal-Mart DC over there?   I could relocate!   :D  :D   I can just imagine what the admiral would say John.   she would hate to leave the grand kids  ;)   so far,  all we are really getting is the cold.......here in  New Hampshire,  there is hardly any snow on the ground.  our last snow was only an inch or two.

actually,  I think it's these paints........they might be getting old.   they don't have a very good cap either.......I've opened some,  only to find that they have dried,  or turned to jelly.   my inventory of these paints is beginning to dwindle....soon,  I'll be back to using model master again.

thanks for the good word John.......if you hear of a Wally that needs a good tech.......I'm their man!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

what a taffy pull.........which way do I go.....!     I want to finish painting the hull.....but I can't do that.......I need to build the roof!   the windows are still another chink in the armor...........do you know.......neither of the two major grocery chains in our area carry future floor wax!   not to worry though.....I think I found something that will work...this isn't over yet!

in the meantime......I started to cut up the mahogany strips to create the shingles.   so,  that's another ongoing process.

post-612-0-47253800-1453488864_thumb.jpg

I don't need super long pieces......it will make things easier.   since the roof is such a big issue with getting the boat painted,  I'll put together the main part of it and finish it while the paint work is being done.   the base is together......next is the front and rear eves 

post-612-0-65857600-1453489158_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-86565400-1453489174_thumb.jpg

the front was made in advance.......once cemented in place,  the back one was created.   later,  the peak beam was cemented in.   then I did some framing foe the back fascia.

post-612-0-10164200-1453489395_thumb.jpg

then some framing for the front fascia

post-612-0-23861500-1453489430_thumb.jpg

roof rafters were the next to add to the roof.

post-612-0-86696500-1453489483_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-38989500-1453489541_thumb.jpg

next will be to get some covering on it.........I think with what I've got here,  to cover it will be plenty strong enough.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks everyone for the nice comments and for the likes  :)  I'm not sure John........it was a thought I had.   I was also thinking about a clock.......I'll do something,  I'm sure  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick.....it's all covered.....I just wish I had the gumption to do more tonight.......work prevails.   I'll try to get the progress pictures up  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

getting more done on the roof,  it begins with the front and rear fascia.

post-612-0-78263200-1453596356_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61173100-1453596375_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61769800-1453596390_thumb.jpg

then the roof underlayment

post-612-0-85723000-1453596590_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-78359300-1453596606_thumb.jpg

because of the shape of the roof,  trimming was needed for them to fit good.  I left 1/4 of an inch overhang at the front and rear......I have something I think would be neat to do.   should have left a bit more on the pitched ends though....I will fix it  ;)

post-612-0-68611100-1453596839_thumb.jpg

cementing down the bottom panels was a bit tricky.  here is a shot of the tabs that locate the roof assembly to the house.

post-612-0-29190900-1453596961_thumb.jpg

so,  this is where I am at the moment.

post-612-0-93047000-1453597024_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61382900-1453597037_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-40281800-1453597051_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-00849700-1453597066_thumb.jpg

there.....the roof is done.  now perhaps I can get the boat painted  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow - You've been busy!   You guys up there getting any of that weather Dennis?

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I'm agreeing with John... I wonder what you do have up your sleeve for this...?  Everything is looking good, my friend.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the good word and the likes.   we dodged the bullet on the big snowstorm George,  I feel bad for those south of us.  some parts were hit with over 2 feet of snow!  in my area,  we still have patches of lawn peeking out........getting very little snow fall to date.  this is all well and good........but I bought a *#%!%$ snow blower......and so far,  it's not paying for itself!  we're heading into some milder weather......should be better for painting.

I know it looks plain at the moment......but while the hull is getting it's splash of color,  I'll be adding to the roof.  hard to say exactly what will be added,  but I will try to make it interesting  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I hear that Dennis. Some buddies of mine went out and bought snow machines, and now have to go north 600 miles to find enough snow to run them on.  :rolleyes:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Keep the snowblower no matter what, Denis.  Maybe it will be a talisman and keep the snow away as long as you own it.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I got tired of shoveling my driveway out every time I came home from NYC at 8 PM, so I went out the next summer ('96) and bought a snow blower - didn't snow a flake for the next 4 years and since then I've used it maybe a dozen times.  So hang onto it, Dennis, NH can get some pretty good snow dumps.

Boat's looking great !

Edited by Jack12477