BRiddoch

USS Constitution by BRiddoch - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

I am fairly certain this copper tape is what is used in stained glass. That is usually what is sold in hobby stores. That is what Model Expo uses in the Model Shipways kits that I have seen.

Russ

hey bob,

if you had to use filler of some sort what do you use? either for planking or since I salvaged my filler blocks I will have to use something. suggestions?

When I use filler I use Elmers Wood Filler.  From the same folks who bring us Elmers Glue.  It comes in a tube.

Bob R.

For what it's worth, I found a Testor's modeling putty that worked well for me. It molds easy, dries fast and is sandable and shapeable.

Bob, this is a really nice build of the Constitution. Thank you for reposting it.  I will use this build log when I get to starting mine.

I do have one question - what adhesive did you use when gluing the styrene strips to the wood? I saw a bottle of Titebond in a couple of pictures. I really like the nice lines you obtained with the styrene.

Thanks.

Tom, the copper tape has a paper backing that you peel away with a really good adhesive.  I did not use any other glue.

Bob R.

Hello all,

It has been a while since my last post.  Had a few family matters back east that required my attention.  I'm home in San Diego now and back to building.  While I was in Boston my new Byrnes Disc Sander arrived at  home in San Diego.  Nothing better that the anticipation of opening the box.

Anyway, I am working on the Gunport lids.  I am doing 7 at a time to break up the monotony. Small hinges are attached to the upper lids and painted white.  False cannons are also added.

Bob R.

post-516-0-48875200-1376444439_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-82516500-1376444450_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-89882400-1376444460_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-61385600-1376444470_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-11753300-1376444485_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob, nice job!  Congrats on the sander, I'm close to getting the Byrnes thickness sander.  Do you happen to have that?  I've read nice things about their stuff...

I have the Byrnes Thickness Sander and as usual it is up to his high standards. The only items I don't have are his new rope walk and and the disk sander. They're on the expensive side but you get what you pay for. 

Bob, your connie is stunning.   I would love to build that one, but I just have no place for it when done (toooo big :P ) So I will definately be living vicariously through yours and the other connies that come about.

The colors on yours are rich and pop quite nice; love looking at it.

The coppering? WOW - I did some on a little phantom, you have patience my friend, lots of patience and it payed off nicely!!

WELL DONE SIR!!

-Adam

Bob, that saw and the gunports look great. My question above was about what glue you used to glue the styrene strips to the hull, not the copper plates.Thanks.

Thanks Adam. 

Tom, sorry for the confusion.  I used a medium CA glue.  Brand Name Zap-A-Gap to glue the styrene to the wood.

Bob

So glad to find this site.  After 3 years, 2 months on the HMS Victory, I'm ready to move on to my MS Constitution.  I appreciate so much the time you've taken to help out those who are following after.  

Slowlearner

Thanks Bob. I really like the clean look that the white styrene gives to the trim details, so when I get to this model I am really leaning toward using it.

Working on Starboard side lower gun ports.  I have the curtains and lower lids installed.  Currently working on the upper lids for both the port and starboard side.  I also started staining my display stand. More pictures to follow.  I have a new camera so I am experimenting and learning.

Bob R.

post-516-0-22577700-1378666754_thumb.jpg

Extremely nice to follow, especially after having been on the real ship a couple of days ago.  Looking good Bob, keep it up. 

Hello all,

Well, now that I have finished my 18th Century Longboat, it's time to dust of Connie and get back to work.  The first order of business is a good cleaning, then it's on to the upper gunports.  I'll start posting pics again this weekend.

Bob R.

Good to see you coming back to her after a break, Bob.  She is a fine build in progress and it'll be fun to watch where you take her from here.

Bob

I too am glad to see you back, Bob. I am just getting started building this model, so I will probably have lots of questions as I go along. I hope you don't mind. I would love to have mine come out half as good as yours.

Welcome back Bob

Looking forward to you starting up again

Mercdaddy

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Constitution

Past builds:  Mamoli Fresland,  Mantua's San Felipe

Bob,

Looking forward to more pics of your great model.

Don

Current Build: Model Shipways Mayflower

In the Future: Mamoli Flying Cloud