BRiddoch

USS Constitution by BRiddoch - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

Thanks all.  Anyway, I did not like the direction the instructions were taking me on installing the upper Gunport lids, so I jumped on the first plane to Boston to see how they were really installed.  Just kidding.  I happened to be in Boston in November and was treated to a after hours tour by MSW member popeyetosea.  I took the attached picture of the actual upper lid and modeled based on that.

I painted the lids and installed the hinges, drill holes for the eyebolts using a #79 drill bit, and installed the eyebolts to the lid.  I then installed another eyebolt to the curtain and glued the lid in place.  From there I simply rigged with black thread and coated it with CA and paint to simulate the wire rope look.

Bob R.

post-516-0-02715800-1398157675_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-21450600-1398157676_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-65605200-1398157676_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-10588100-1398157677_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-52600400-1398157677_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-98794000-1398157677_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-42112900-1398157678_thumb.jpg

Edited by BRiddoch

Super detail Bob!

I too had the privilege of a "private tour" of Connie a couple of years ago thanks to a friend who is a retired Rear Admiral.  I was able to take dozens of photos that updated Bob Hunts Practicum ( which s tremendous) .  I would caution following it to the letter.  I did and regret installing the netting when he addressed it in his flow.  I occasionally damaged it while working on interior details. A couple of minor other changes I would make, though I could not have build the Constitution without it and the great work you and fellow modelers have done :) 

Thanks for sharing!

Mercdaddy

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Constitution

Past builds: Mamoli's Friesland ; Mantua's San Felipe

Thanks Adam.

Cut, shaped, and painted the starboard side channels.  Pinned and glued into place.  Port pieces are sitting on deck waiting to be worked. 

It's amazing how much dust the macro setting on the camera picks up.

Bob R.

post-516-0-49294400-1391651098_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-62325700-1391651118_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-52883300-1391651141_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-37447600-1391651156_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-37366700-1391651176_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Your Constitution looks great. I can't wait to see more progress.

I am new to wood ship modeling and have a question. What do you use to glue parts to a painted surface? Is there any special prep or certain glue to use? 

Thanks, Al D.

Al D.

Usually I will remove paint prior to gluing.  However, for the channels I did not and attached them using CA (Zap-A-Gap) Brand.

Bob R.

Bob,

I don't know about Bremerton, but it was cold on this side of the Sound. Seattle was 20 deg (the old record was 27). :o

And yes, I expect no sympathy from the rest of the country dealing with even colder temperatures and lots of snow/ice. We've been lucky that it hasn't done that yet. Although, they are expecting some snow Saturday night/Sunday morning (Yikes! I have a sailboat race Sunday morning!) :cheers:

Harvey

Bob, It was around 19 on the way to work this morning. No moisture though. It's bone dry.

Hi Bob,

It's been awhile since I left any comments but I HAVE been following along. Your workmanship is outstanding. I've learned a lot following your log and I suspect I have many more lessons to learn. Keep it up!

Bob,

Thanks for providing all of us with a great build site. I've downloaded the pics of your stern castle construction since my plans (Constructo) don't provide me with all angle photos like you did.

Thanks,

Rich

Bob, thanks for your interest in my build.  I haven't been at it much lately.  Other more important thing have come up, like getting the garage cleaned out and finish the basement.  But while I'm doing these, honey do things, I'm thinking about the build. 

There isn't anything in the instructions or in anything I've seen hear that actually shows the progression.  Other models have been clearer in this regard.  Is this something you can help me with.  Your pictures are helpful but I can't copy them off the internet with any clarity.

I'm working on the bow and stern assembly.  also the mock gun ports below deck.  Can you send me some pictures that can help go to the next level.

Tim Tarry, 68 Tinley park Circle, Delaware, Ohio  43015

timtarry46@msn.com

Thanks So Much!

I don't know if it's my computer or the site, but your images at the top of page 11 of your log are missing (at least I can't see them). I had the same problem with my log and had to replace 5 pages worth of images.

I think the missing photos is pretty common.  It happened to quite a few build logs.  I will try to replace.

Bob R.