HMS Montague 1779 bygaryshipwright - 74-gun Alfred-class

Gary, what does the book give as a picture credit?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thank's Druxey I have already done that, just have not heard any thing back. Hi Siggi  your right sir they do have plans but as you said not this one and thank you. Hi Bruce. am not sure but can you let me know how I go about finding that out, picture credit that is.  Thanks again guys.  Gary

14 minutes ago, garyshipwright said:

let me know how I go about finding that out, picture credit that is. 

If it isn't with the image or at the end of the chapter, it is usually a separate table at the back of the book with the acknowledgements/index/reference notes. The passage may have a heading like 'picture credits' or some other wording like 'image sources' but once you start looking it will jump out at you. Not often but sometimes the picture credits are sneaked in at the front of the book before the 'contents'. There is no single format but I'm sure you'll find it.

HTH,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Hmmmmm. I'm intrigued now. May I suggest an email to Pen & Sword?

admin@pen-and-sword.co.uk

They must know the source.

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Good Evening Gary;

The NMM's website now is a bit of a joke, to say the least. Their own staff are in despair at the fact that the new version was ever switched on so long before it was ready. Search results now are very limited. One drawing of 'Queen' of 1769 does appear, but it is not the same one as shown in the book. I have sent a message to some contacts in the plans archive to ask for reference numbers for any other draughts of her which might exist, and I will let you know what they might tell me.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Good Evening Mark and thank you. That's not good, search results being very limited. Seems it could cause a big traffic jam and long waiting list.  I spent a few hour's today and yesterday looking through their plans but never found one of the Queen, accept a deck plan. Well the search goes on.  Once again thank you. Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Every one, Its been awhile since my last update and most probably figure I fell off the ends of the world. Well the misses sent me a life line and  finally went back to doing some thing on her. I sort of been stuck  on the cables and how the messenger was routed. Ben from Ropes of Scale help me on the cable and Druxey gave me the ideal about the snatch block.  So  I went to work on making a snatch block for the messenger using Lee's measurement, from his  book The Masting and Rigging of English ships. It didn't come out to bad But I leave that up to you. 

DSC_0602.JPG

DSC_0597.JPG

DSC_0604.JPG

DSC_0600.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

Well guys, sort of out done my self this time on updates, figure it was time to work on the mast to make sure it fit in place before I can't get to certain places. After a couple of daysI finally got the fore mast looking some thing like a mast, but still a long way to go with it but its a start. Have to say thank you to Alan and druxey for info on the mast and helping me bring it to life. 

DSC_0612.JPG

DSC_0613.JPG

DSC_0615.JPG

Good Morning Gary;

I have heard back from the NMM; they only have one drawing of the Queen, and it is not the same as the one which you show. The plan curator believes that It must be part of the Kriegstein Collection.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

On 3/28/2022 at 11:14 PM, garyshipwright said:

I will give Pen and Sword Books  a try.

Any luck?

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Can't remember if this has come up before but there is a single drawing in the Danish museum identified as Queen 1769, number D207:

data.ashx?bid=39522345

Data on D207 is sparse but here it is:

data.ashx?bid=32004754

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Hi Bruce d. I did finally get a reply which came from Henry Kriegstein late Friday but didn't get to it till today. Took the family to Cincinnati and just got a chance to look at it.  It helped me answer question about pillar's in the manger and was it possible that they may of been used as roller's for the messenger. I was excited to see this in their book, the pillar's in the  manger but  looked to be holding up the beams and not what you think of as rollers. Hard to really make it out from the picture for sure.  I would post it but would have to ask the Kriegstein first to make sure its ok.  If your interested let me know please and will ask them if it ok.  Gary 

Edited by garyshipwright

A novel way of launching a ship: upside down. Oh. Picture is inverted. Just regular launch ways after all! Might you consider showing your model on the ways to present your model, Gary?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Here's a new update for you. Not perfect but I like it . One thing for sure, It really takes a lot of time to make and fit the knee's to the side but am getting there. Thank's for looking in.

DSC_0626.JPG

DSC_0623.JPG

DSC_0624.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

3 hours ago, garyshipwright said:

Hello. Here's a new update for you. Not perfect but I like it . One thing for sure, It really takes a lot of time to make and fit the knee's to the side but am getting there. Thank's for looking in.

I see a great job well done!
I really like the shades of the different types of wood!