HMS Montague 1779 bygaryshipwright - 74-gun Alfred-class

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Merry christmas and a happy new year also to you. In the news I saw yesterday the deep frozen pictures of the US. I hope that ca you can celebrate christmas with your familie.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Christain. We are doing ok and every body stayed home so the deep freeze isn't affecting us to much. We are all getting together Monday to celebrate Chistmas. Figure the roads will be cleared by then.  Hope every one is doing great and Happy New year.

Gary, I enjoyed looking over your latest photos. The build is really coming along well, and nicely photographed!

Here's looking forward to a good and productive new year!

Mark

• 3 months later...

Hello every one. It's been awhile since I posted any thing on Montague/Alfred but wanted to get the the planking done on the Winchelsea and after 6 month's or so of building the bulkhead's and planking her in boxwood I finally went back to work on Montague/Alfred. Been slowly working on adding more beams to the upper deck. I added a few photo's of the Winchelasea  and do hope you enjoy the photo's. Sorry about the delay on getting back to her. Gary

DSC_0926.JPG

DSC_0930.JPG

DSC_0932.JPG

DSC_0965.JPG

DSC_0966.JPG

DSC_0968.JPG

DSC_0971.JPG

DSC_0974.JPG

DSC_0972.JPG

What beautiful work Gary.  It’s not that you have not been busy with other more important things.  
guy

The Road goes ever on and on

Out from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

Let others follow it who can!

Let them a journey new begin,

But I at last with weary feet

Will turn towards the lighted inn,

My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Thanks guys. Guy your right about that, have been busy that's for sure. Thanks druxey, thought that might add a little  detail to her. If you look close at the top of the capstan. I installed some pin's and chain's for holding the bar's in place. Still a lot to do on her, just need to spend a lot more time on her. Once I get the beams installed I may just have some fun and install the stove that I built a couple of years ago.   

Good morning Gary,

it is a wonderful and absolutely clean work, much to be admired.  It took some time to scroll through your log.  Sorry if I've just come across this and have to get back to the beginning of your project, did I understand correctly that you drew the plans by hand, i.e. old school with a pencil?  That's really impressive, your bookshelf and all the plans in the roles also fascinate me. Absolutely great performance.
Greetings Tobias

Auf der Werkbank:

Corvette La Palme (L'Amarante) von 1744 POF nach Plänen von Ancre

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32046-la-palme-by-tobias-136-pof/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29843-le-coureur-1776-by-tobias-caf-148/

LE ROCHEFORT - Hafenyacht von 1787 1:36 von Tobias (Monographie von ANCRE)

Just wonderful work, Gary!  Superb details.

Clear skies and sharp tools,

Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

On 4/15/2023 at 12:05 AM, Tobias said:

Good morning Gary,

it is a wonderful and absolutely clean work, much to be admired.  It took some time to scroll through your log.  Sorry if I've just come across this and have to get back to the beginning of your project, did I understand correctly that you drew the plans by hand, i.e. old school with a pencil?  That's really impressive, your bookshelf and all the plans in the roles also fascinate me. Absolutely great performance.
Greetings Tobias

Hi Tobias and thank you for the compliments. Yes I drafted the plans of her, the half breadth plan and then her frames from that.  I also drafted the lay out of her deck lines from the shear plans. One does have to be very careful because after many years the plans have enlarge, grown and redrafting this parts, help's straighten this out. Makes her easier to build. I do thank you for your kind words. 

Alfred frame 53, layout of bolts in frame.jpg

P8300103.JPG

P1010023.JPG

P9040135.JPG

P9040132.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

On 4/15/2023 at 6:51 AM, uss frolick said:

One of the reasons Captain Bainbridge sailed the USS Constitution home after defeating HMS Java in December 1812, was his concern about the nearby flagship of the British Brazilian Squadron, HMS Montague, 74.

Stunning model!

Hi Frolick. Thanks for the information on the Montague, didn't know this. Thank you for the kind words and glad that you like her.

2 hours ago, Gabek said:

Just wonderful work, Gary!  Superb details.

Clear skies and sharp tools,

Gabe

Hi Gabe and thank you good sir. How is you work coming along? Your painting is just out standing and has been awhile since we last talk. Hope every thing is going good. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

15 minutes ago, garyshipwright said:

Thank's Mike. Maybe one day I just might be able to say she's finished. 

Gary: I used to know that feeling but I managed to get the Agamemnon finally finished..... But looking at your pictures, you must be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel?!

MIKE

Edited by Kusawa2000

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Hubac's she is slowly coming along and am happy to be back to work on her again. One of the most time consuming items is the cast knee's. Seems it takes me forever to get each one done but after installing them they look neat and ship shape. Thanks again Hubac's.     Gary